PDA

View Full Version : Is (was) this normal C-130 ?

SpringHeeledJack
12th May 2008, 10:05
http://www.airliners.net/photo/South-Africa--/Lockheed-C-130B-Hercules/0557710/L/&width=1024&height=727&sok=&photo_nr=129&prev_id=0596521&next_id=0489707

I saw this photo by chance last night and was curious to see that on the fuselage forward of the wing, there seems to be several 'creases' for want of a better word, almost as though the saffers had been side-swiped in the parking lot of the local DIY centre!

What are they ? I haven't noticed such body bulges on any other hercs, apart from the MC-130H of the US special forces, however those examples are relatively new. Any thoughts ?

Regards

SHJ

treadigraph
12th May 2008, 12:24
I'd say it's the runway piano keys reflecting on the aircraft's underside. :ok:

RETDPI
12th May 2008, 12:25
I think it must be an optical illusion created by the light reflecting off of the piano keys.

RETDPI
12th May 2008, 12:29
Treads - Snap!:8

SpringHeeledJack
12th May 2008, 15:15
Well that says a lot for my observation skills, doesn't it ? :hmm: I'm in agreeance, but there is a beige/brown door outline that seems to be also distorted :confused:

Your thoughts gentlemen please

Regards

SHJ

forget
12th May 2008, 15:28
I'd say it was scanned off a distorted slide.

stevef
12th May 2008, 15:53
I'm thinking some of that 'distortion' could be muck thrown up by the nosewheel tyres and distributed by the airflow; there is similar behind the main wheels. Then again, there's a ground turbine or something located in the main gear pod if I remember rightly and it might be exhaust staining.

stevef
13th May 2008, 07:28
Forget may well be right. Compare the fuselage 'cheat' line on this fourth gallery picture of SAAF C130s http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforce/aircraft/22/c-130bbz-hercules# to the photo above (taken at Marshalls. Check the Dove, far right). There's a fairly pronounced change of angle just under the 'U' in Lugmag; less so in the Buccaneer support flight picture.
Perhaps!

SpringHeeledJack
13th May 2008, 10:37
Thanks chaps!

Having looked at the photo again, i would concur that the 'distortion' seems to stem from the piano-keys reflecting in the metal finished fuselage . The effect is magnified by the fact that the herc is turning off the runway. The 'door' outline looking warped is an optical illusion that could look either as though it were bowing out or in.

I think that as noted, the cheat line that runs just under the LUGMAG leads the eye into seeing a bulge.

Well that's a definite possible maybe! :}

Regards

SHJ