PDA

View Full Version : Airport relocation

boeinglover
4th Dec 2000, 08:04
Hi guys,

Have heard that one of the five Singapore Airports would be relocated to make way for urban development.

Anyone out there can make a prediction which one would be the most likely?

The five are Changi (Civil & military), Seletar (civil & GA), Paya lebar(Military), Sembawang(Military) and Tengah(Military).

Regards,

Jubilee777
4th Dec 2000, 09:38
Boeinglover,

I would say that Seletar be moved. Changi is definately staying, otherwise I cant think of any reason why to build T3. Tengah is rather 'ulu', and so is Seletar. I find it hard to believe that PLAB will be moving coz they've almost got the entire RSAF there. Seletar's currently probably the most ill-equipped airports there is... mostly catering to biz jets and private caters.. so I would say Seletar's gonna go... besides, isnt Punggol 21 gonna take over that area?

boeinglover
4th Dec 2000, 10:44
jubilee777, you could be very right as seletar would be the one in no time be relocated elsewhere to make way for new flats as Singapore's population grows at the current rate.

Where to? no one knows for sure!! But come to think of that what's going to happen to Singapore GA community if seletar is relocated? Does it implies that people have to go somewhere else for leisure flying or for PPL training or the hobby has to be ceased??

Cheers.

Goldwing2000
4th Dec 2000, 19:08
How about Batam island? :) I hear that the Singaporeans are getting on just fine with the Indonesians especially their President.

------------------
If it moves, then funk it!

boeinglover
4th Dec 2000, 20:34
Goldwing2000,

Batam could be a wonderful choice but the airport they are having currently is an International airport, and that could hinder the prospects of relocating Seletar airport over to that island.

What about Pulau Ubin or even Tekong perhaps if the govt could give up a small area of the Military Training Island for the sake of GA.

Cheers.

Old Dog
4th Dec 2000, 21:08
.... that island airstrip near Pulau Belakang Mati will finaly become a little more useful?

Highlander744
5th Dec 2000, 03:38
Yes Old Dog, - but I wouldn't fancy being sat on the threshold when they're doing their 'Time on Target' drills - even though they probably thought it was P. Hantu !!
Besides the boat ride would probably cost more than the AvGas.

Changi / Tengah would be a suitable GA spot, with restricted times - of course.

------------------
Highlander744 - In the end there will only be ONE.

PILLOW
5th Dec 2000, 07:19
Batam would be a better spot . Afterall SIA Flying College was successfully relocated to Jandakot .