PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Persecution,Prosecution of Staff

Green.Dog
12th May 2008, 06:19
AIRLINE giant Qantas has been humbled by a flight attendant in a "David and Goliath" battle over drug smears.
The attendant suffered rumour and innuendo after being wrongly accused of being a heroin user.
Qantas spent hundreds of thousands of dollars and three years challenging a stress leave payout to the wronged hostess, now back working for the airline, through the courts.
But a Supreme Court judge this week ruled that Lisa Lamprecht had suffered depression because of the "demonstrated trauma" of being searched for heroin after a flight.
However, her fight may yet not be over as Qantas considers an appeal.
The battle began on July 27, 2002, when Miss Lamprecht was returning to Melbourne from her first long-haul flight as an attendant.
She was carrying three bags supplied by Qantas and Customs officials discovered "significant" traces of heroin on two bags.
Miss Lamprecht's lawyer John Typaldos of Workforce Legal said his client had no knowledge the bags contained drug traces and was traumatised by the incident.
He said it had never been established who had used the Qantas issued bags before his client.
Miss Lamprecht, who has worked for Qantas for 18 years, was questioned for hours by Customs officials.
But they decided she was not a drug user and allowed her to leave "in a daze".
He said Miss Lamprecht continued to work as an attendant, but was scared going through Customs and some of her colleagues made references to her as "the drug flight attendant".
She went on stress leave and Qantas started fighting her claim for wages and medical expenses three years ago in the Magistrates' Court.
A Medical Panel found in her favour and Qantas challenged their ruling in the Supreme Court.
"This is a David and Goliath story and we have only reached this point because of Lisa's resilience," Mr Typaldos said.
The above article is indicative of the treatment meted out to Qantas Staff on a daily basis."Our people are our most important asset" is an oft repeated assertion by Geoff Dixon.God help the employees if they werent considered valuable.
The legal department in Qantas spends millions of Dollars a year in action like this.They usually fail in the courts.
Clause 11 is a disciplinary provision in the LH CC award.At one stage Qantas management wre invoking this clause on average 30 times a month.Twenty two of these made their way into the industrial relations court.Not one judgement found in favour of Qantas as the plaintiff.
Qantas to save face and remove these employees paid large undisclosed amounts to these individuals not to return to work.
An enormous waste of resources and money for what?.
To strike fear into hearts of all employees.Employees who eventually become disengaged and hostile.

The cougar
12th May 2008, 06:24
This is all to familiar at Qantas, with its bully tactics. With the Licensed engineers planning action it looks like stress levels will explode. Hopefully Qantas will treat their cases better than lisa's but i doubt it.

cartexchange
12th May 2008, 11:03
I wonder what the real story is here.
Where there is smoke there is usually fire!

Go to admit if the hostie was innocent i really feel sorry for her, those ion scanners that customs use are a pain in the arse.

All it takes is for your bag to come into contact with a speck of drug (hotel carpet) and that machine goes nuts!

H_Girl
12th May 2008, 14:05
i've heard of a number of FA's that have said that customs had swabbed their bags and it was alleged they had come in contact with drugs after flights to Australia from LA. All FA's said it must be crap. How can you protect yourself when who knows who is putting your bag on the bus.

speedbirdhouse
12th May 2008, 23:34
In most cases a crew member [usually the CSM] will watch all the bags being loaded into the rear of the bus before he/she boards themselves.

A positive swab is nothing to worry about. What's inside is.

twiggs
13th May 2008, 00:00
I wonder what the real story is here.
Where there is smoke there is usually fire!

Go to admit if the hostie was innocent i really feel sorry for her

Gee, now if you are caught with company stores but given your job back because of the way the situation was handled you are innocent, then another person was not found guilty of anything except having traces of something on their bag and cartexchange can question if she is innocent?

Talk about double standards.

cartexchange
13th May 2008, 00:18
explain yourself Twiggs you're not clear as usual! enlighten us as to your opinion!

speedbirdhouse
13th May 2008, 00:29
What are you on about twiggs???

Not the great chocolate swindle otherwise known as "chocolategate" where QF sacked a longterm employee for having in his pocket after a duty what the courts found to be waste.

Waste, as in chocolate that was going to be thrown in the bin when the aircraft was re-catered.

Go on twiggs.

Defend the indefensible.

twiggs
13th May 2008, 00:38
My point is that this girl is innocent, not what Cartexchange was insinuating.

lowerlobe
13th May 2008, 00:57
Posted by twiggs...Gee, now if you are caught with company stores (found guilty)
So Twiggs QC has shown us just how much appreciation of legal procedure that she has....when she played Judge,Jury and executioner by proclaiming that he was guilty.

Twiggs.....If the chap was found guilty he would have had the book thrown at him by the court BUT....he wasn't was he?

It wasn't because as you said 'the way it was handled' but instead by the facts...

You guys lost....YET AGAIN....

However,this thread is about the way the company is handling a problem with one of it's employee's.....not your interpretation of legal cases where the company lost ..again

cartexchange
13th May 2008, 01:02
Twiggs once again you have turned English into Greek!
i simply wanted to know the real story and as i have said, if she is innocent then I feel sorry for her.
Twiggs I really hope you are not in a position to make decisions or judgments.

Capt Wally
13th May 2008, 01:04
FEAR, it's all about fear these days. This F/A is just another Eg of how out of control we are now with the way we go about our day to day lives.
How did we get like this? That's what we ought to be looking into rather than 'bashing' every single event that comes along whether it be the case in point here or a 'sus' bag left unattended even in the 'can'!:bored: THE WORLD HAS GONE NUTS!
Has terrorism/drug lords got us all to the point where we trust no one?
Has just the 'thought' of being attacked/or used in any form got us that much on edge?
I feel for the children of today, their the ones that have to live thru what we are putting in place right now for protection, right or wrong:bored:

My partner has just gone OS traveling by that so called famous airline (QF) & she was almost over the top with sealing her bags with zip ties, & other measures to show if someone had interfered with her bags enroute.

Life used to be so carefree once, what have WE done to ourselves?:bored:

Personal opinions only as usual.

CW

Spearmint
14th May 2008, 06:43
Since when has the airline in question supplied 2nd hand bags to their flight attendants?

And, is it because she was succesful in extracting compensation from this employer (as countless other would like to do), that this discussion is going on? Would this topic be here if she was NOT succesful?

speedbirdhouse
14th May 2008, 06:56
Quote-

"Since when has the airline in question supplied 2nd hand bags to their flight attendants?"

I've heard of it happening on several occasions with regard to company issue in cabin bags.

Crew turn up to "uniforms" with a broken bag seeking to renew it.

"Sorry, we don't have any new ones at the moment."

"You can have one of these used ones" [from one of the 1500 FA's made redundant over the last 5 years]

Spearmint
14th May 2008, 07:18
thank you. i consider myself briefed.

cheers.

cartexchange
14th May 2008, 11:54
they are also doing the same with second hand jackets and specially the farken aprons.
F/A on my last trip was told pay up or you can have this used apron!

Of course this equates to savings and means another bonus for our beloved management.

Ozfed
15th May 2008, 13:51
:ugh:

So let me get this right...

Being questioned by Customs is unethical or immoral?

And causes undue stress, leading to stress leave?

Sounds a bit much when you consider the fact that Australian Customs are soft core compared to other countries!

Bad Hat Harry
15th May 2008, 21:25
Re Read the original post.
The person in question was exonerated by Customs but villified by her employer.
An all too common occurrence perpetrated by Qantas on its employees

speedbirdhouse
15th May 2008, 23:18
Quote-

"The person in question was exonerated by Customs but villified by her employer.
An all too common occurrence perpetrated by Qantas on its employees"

For LH cabin crew these instances of abuse are likely to increase given that "wacko jacko" aka the "kiwi sociopath" is about to take tarranto's job.:yuk::yuk::yuk:

blackguard
16th May 2008, 00:38
I thought Nic Ac Dc was getting that gig.Particularly since The Terminator had embarrassed Ali W on more than one occasion.