PDA

View Full Version : Porter

JTrain
12th May 2008, 05:47
Saw a big ad for Porter in Friday's Globe & Mail: Calling All Pilots, and encouraging them to apply.

Have not seen much info about Porter here. What is the skinny on working there. Pay? Working conditions? Stability/growth? How do guys like it there? Can you survive in Toronto on what they pay? How long will they be able to fend off Jazz at Toronto Island Airport? Is there a training contract, and for how long. What else should I be asking myself before I email a resume there.

Thanks for any/all answers.

jt

Tintin
12th May 2008, 15:51
some more question also do they take DEC any chance to be base in yul??

reaz
13th May 2008, 18:27
Hi JTrain (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=140114)

Can you please Email me the scanned copy of the Porter ad, if possible.
I failed to collect a copy of Friday's Globe And Mail.

Thanks,

Reaz

[email protected]

Blue Jay
13th May 2008, 20:43
Porter are one of the more popular operators, no bond and decent pay/sched. soon after start. Have a friend there, who loves it, he does however live 40 mins. from the ferry in Toronto area. Just ask yourself if you want to live in the city of Toronto, if so then apply and enjoy. check their website www.flyporter.com (http://www.flyporter.com)

hippotamus
13th May 2008, 21:05
careers section can be found on www.flyporter.com (http://www.flyporter.com)

includes all the info in the ad found int he globe/mail and the star

pithblot
14th May 2008, 09:55
There I was thinking this was about something really interesting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilatus_PC-6):ok:

Pithblot

Tintin
14th May 2008, 16:22
humm ok..................................

sepia
15th May 2008, 17:42
Blue Jay: You are incorrect in pretty much everything you said. Porter does have a bond, in fact a very large one. I believe it's $20,000 over to years for the type rating and then there as a multi thousand dollar uniform bond on top of that. The current Porter FO's are down to 10 days off a month now, so I wouldn't agree with the good schedule comment either. All of the airlines that porter competes with for employees offer more days off to start. They've recently had to lower their hiring requirements to 1500hrs because they can't find anyone to accept their current working conditions and pay.

All of that said, It's still a good job with a quick upgrade time. I just wanted to correct some inaccuracies in your post to ensure people had a clear picture of what it was really about.

Sir LandsAlot
16th May 2008, 03:13
Sepia,

I''d like to know who you work for to be such an expert on Porter?

To further clarify, Porter has a bond, but it is a two year contract - no money required to pay up front. Porter F/O's have a MINUMUM of 10 days off. In reality, they average more like 13-14 days off. In fact Sepia, YOU are incorrect in saying the schedule is not good. I'm a line pilot at Porter and consider the schedule a huge reason for enjoying my job. I'm home most nights and if I am gone, its usually 1 night, and 2 nights max (for weekend pairings). No deadheading to start pairings in a different city, and no jetlag or nightflying to consider on top of days worked.

Bottom line for someone considering applying to Porter is that you will love the airplane, company morale, the challenge of flying out of the City Center, and the fact that the company spends the money to do things the right way from the beginning. But remember, it's a startup, so some things that you would expect from an established airline are "in the works". But, they are coming.

We currently have 6 airplanes, but will have somewhere around 17 by the end of 2009 (according to rumors). Porter already own the fuel trucks, terminal buildings, de-ice trucks and just about anything else a competitor would need to operate into YTZ.

Also, one could also imagine that there will be an IPO somewhere in the near future to pay for all those airplanes and a beautiful new permanent terminal at the island. I'll leave the $$$ speculation to others, but I will say that I will NOT be leaving before the IPO happens - and probably not after either. I don't get a hard-on for flying a B777, and I'm enjoying myself too much to go anywhere else.

reaz
16th May 2008, 11:47
Sir LandsAlot (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=53799)

I really appreciate your stand for your Airline. It also confirms the atmosphere that is prevailing within Porter Airlines.

Could you please let me know what I can expect in the interview or how should I prepare myself for the interview for Poter. I may receive a call for an interview anytime soon. Any help will be highly appreciated.

with regards,

Reaz

blues deville
17th May 2008, 02:53
Sir LandsAlot: Has Porter lowered their entry level hours to 1500TT for new FOs?

Tintin
17th May 2008, 10:49
Sir landsalot check you PM

Sir LandsAlot
19th May 2008, 13:16
The interview is more about personality than anything else. They are looking for positive attitudes and "upgradable" personalities - like having strong communication and team skills. Know a little bit about the company and the operation - all things that you can find on flyporter.com. Most definetly dress business professional.

There is very little technical stuff to the interview and no sim evaluation.

Good luck!

And to answer the question about minimums - the website specifies 3000TT, but a few have been hired with less if they are strong in the interview. Do NOT be discouraged if you don't have the min time since you may get an interview if your experience is good, or at the very least, you'll get into the database.

Married a Canadian
20th May 2008, 02:01
Sir Landsalot

Off topic..but how are the passenger loads at present? Especially on the KEWR route?. I heard that Porter lost one service due to some curfew restriction out of Newark affecting the time back into YTZ?

Hope the service remains viable. Of all the things that have annoyed me since I arrived in YYZ has been the sheer shortsightedness by the city council towards the island airport...and the hostility towards it. To me a city that want to consider itself "world" class should have an airport that serves the business community..and that is in no way supposed to disregard Pearson.

On a professional and personal note...never had any problems working you guys (I work 128.8)....we seem to have ironed out most of the ATC related issues........which all seem to be in bad weather for the ILS 08 approach. Hope it is smooth from your side aswell.

Kenuck
20th May 2008, 08:44
Hiya,

So does anyone have a guess-timate as to when they might be interviewing?

Cheers
:ok:

reaz
20th May 2008, 16:25
Does Proter provide Interline facility for International destinations?

Sir LandsAlot
21st May 2008, 04:21
Married a Canadian,

Yes, we lost one weekday flight for the summer only, but picked up 3 extra weekend fights instead! It seems like a good compromise solution for the FAA, and good for Porter too since the weekend leisure flights have been absolutly packed. So to answer your question regarding EWR loads - very good right off the bat, and better than expected.

Those bad weather days favouring ILS 08 make for challenges with 33 arrivals at YYZ, but the company is working with Nav Canada and ATC towards curved RNP approaches, and new arrivals to YTZ that will hopefully alleviate the problem. I'm sure you know more about that stuff than I do, and we sure do appreciate the good working relationship with seem to have with you guys at YYZ ATC!

Tintin
21st May 2008, 07:30
Sir LandsAlot i'm just checking if you got my PM???

Thanks

carholme
22nd May 2008, 11:33
Is there any truth to the item I seen on Newsworld yesterday that the FAA will limit Porter to four flights a day into Newark?

carholme

pointyertoes
22nd May 2008, 13:14
Porter will not be losing any more weekday flights.
See Sir Landsalot's post he knows what he's talking about.

We have a net loss of one round trip per week. It takes effect on June 20 and the restrictions will go away in the fall.
This actually worked out very well for us. There is a typical lull in business travellers in the summer during the weekday and an increase in leisure travel on the weekends. We've basically just switched capacity to the high demand areas for the summer.

...as for interviews. They will begin next week and continue through to the middle of June at least.We may be hiring a couple of DEC. They will try very hard not to.
I have been very fortunate to have been with the company since the beginning, and I believe the company is very well positioned to survive the long haul.
The airplanes are incredible performers, they burn less than Bombardier advertises, the company overhead is extremely low compared to operators based at YYZ and the airline continues to grow in a very methodical manner.
Porter had attracted the most start up capital of any North American airline except Jet Blue and made a net profit within six months of operation and since then loads have increased and are consistently quite full to all destinations.
On top of this; the managers have a vast amount of aviation experience in Canada. There are very approachable and receptive to suggestions by all employees.
They are finalizing interline travel agreements with 2 scheduled international carriers right now and are working to attract more flight crew through improvements to terms and conditions.
If you are happy returning home to your family most nights, not dealing with time zone changes, working with pleasant, motivated people, and flying to a very nice downtown airport, Porter might be for you

Kenuck
23rd May 2008, 06:59
Sounds great! I'm sick of the long-haul overnight crap. Fingers crossed........... :ok:

WallyBallbearing
25th May 2008, 15:55
Does anyone know the salary for the FO's and Captains?

Thanks.

reaz
30th May 2008, 16:06
Does anyone know when Porter is going to scedule the interview. Is anyone here who is scheduled for an interview with Porter or received call for an interview?

sgms
3rd Jun 2008, 14:42
My husband got a call around a week ago and had the interview yesterday. He was very impressed with the company. I think the interviews will be going on for 2 weeks.

reaz
3rd Jun 2008, 20:28
sgms (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=252675)

Thanks a lot!
Hope all the best for your Husband.

Reaz

pointyertoes
5th Jun 2008, 16:26
For everyone else interested, it's been a big couple of weeks for us...
Porter airlines Cruising to Profit
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/business/story.html?id=ed4b3281-9cad-46e1-8947-45608043e00b
Porter to reveal more numbers
http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/business/story.html?id=38dddb8d-55a7-4d9b-9304-0912187008fc
Airline, FAA make a Deal
http://www.redorbit.com/news/business/1416971/airline_faa_make_a_deal/
And last but not least, we now have an employee interline travel agreement with Westjet.
Cheers,
PYT

digsy52
15th Nov 2008, 15:50
Hi All,

Could someone please shed some light on ACTUAL, Promissory note amount and pay? Preferably from a line pilot PLEASE.:rolleyes:

Thanks

richardhead
15th Nov 2008, 23:02
20000 over 2 years. Something about a 3000 dollar amount over 2 years for the uniform. Don't quote me, just something I have heard. Maybe it's a Breitling. Left seat pay is 70000 to start for now.