View Full Version : Moving on up...

psychopathbabble
10th May 2008, 23:45
I currently work for a low-cost airline in the UK, and have been for a year now.

I'm looking at moving into a 'better' airline, to do long-haul for a bit before I decide what career to move to next. I'm hoping to also get into Corporate flying too.

I'm just wondering what you guys think/know is the best way for me to move forward?

I don't speak any languages fluently, and have an extremely basic understanding of French (single words!). I understand I will need to learn another language and am slowly getting my motivation together to do this.

Should I just go into a long haul airline? Wait another year in the current low cost airline to get more experience? What would be the 'right' airline?

What do you think?

Thanks!

Glamgirl
11th May 2008, 00:00
Hi there,

You have lots and lots of options for airlines to apply for. Do some research, there are plenty of threads on here about the differnt airlines.

I work for BA and you don't need a foreign language to apply (as long as you speak English, of course, lol). I believe we're still recruiting, so have a look out. At LGW, we have mixed flying (short and long haul) on 737,A319 and 777. At LHR, there is Eurofleet, which is short haul only and WorldWide, which is long haul only. I believe there is only temporary contracts available for WW (11months).

I've only worked for the one airline, so can't give you any info on the others, but I'm sure the lovely people here will give you some pointers. What to remember is, that an airline has its good and bad points, and only you can make the decision as to who to apply for.

Good luck with your plans, and hopefully you'll be successful with your choice.

Gg

I Just Want To Fly
11th May 2008, 05:53
I worked for a LCC out of LGW, then moved to Virgin. It's great flying long haul, but the money is definately crap with us!

There is obviously massive differences between the big two, VS/BA

Vs crew are generally younger, and enjoy going out and about alot more down route than at BA. Promotion is faster, 2 years to SNR, another 2 to CSS, then another 2 to FSM all depending on your performance. Our V-swap system is great, which effectively allows you to write your own roster.

Getting a permanent contract at BA world wide will be very hard. From what I've heard, the people who are getting the 11 month contract then transfer to LGW or LHR Eurofleet, afterwards, but who knows what will eventually happen.

In hindsight, I think that BA is the best option. It may not be as laid back or "fun" as Virgin, but at the end of the day, what you get up to downroute is in your hands. And the money is massively different. For example, or a Tokyo flight, Virgin get £190 in sector pay and cash allowances. Ba get something like £700 if not more. For a Sydney, we get £450, BA get £1300.

Long Haul can also be a little lonely, because you generally do not know many of your crew, and you are away from your family and friends for up to 10 days. But anyway, BA temp contract might be a great opportunity to see if long haul is really for you.

Good luck with whatever you decide

psychopathbabble
11th May 2008, 08:46
Thank you for your help... I realise that the airlines are all different and have their good and bad points, it's just a little scary when you want to move on and not sure what is the right way to go!! I was looking at BA long haul yesterday as my friend is starting the training tomorrow. Was also thinking about Emirates or Gulf Air just for the experience!

Thanks again :ok: