PDA

View Full Version : Livebox with Orange broadband

helimutt
10th May 2008, 18:33
Just a quick question. I have broadband with Orange and have a Livebox router. It keeps indicating 'Link Down' when I check the connection status. I get through to a person in India who reads from a script, verbatim every time and they have me do a factory reset every time or a firmware upgrade. This works briefly but soon packs in, sometimes quickly or sometimes after a couple hours. This has gone on for over two weeks now and i'm fed up. All I want is a replacement Livebaox as trying every other option is a complete waste of my time. Absolutely hacked off with it all. Has anyone else this problem? If so has it been sorted etc?:confused:

Thanks. Unfortunately, theres not much point of me changing provider at the minute as the fastest speed I can get here is 0.5Mb!! Thought we were in modern times. 472k is about as fast as I can get. I can't even get another broadband thingy for my laptop for wireless use through '3' etc as I don't live in a covered area. Dial up is about the best I could hope for. How Pants!:ugh:

helimutt
10th May 2008, 21:28
Ok, so I did some digging. If my SNR isn't too good, like at times of the day when most people log in round here, then my router signal 'drops' out as it can't 'hear' the broadband signal very well. Improving my cabling in the house may help a bit. Apart from that I can't do much about it until BT do more for this area.

It's not always the router but the line into it. attenuation etc all have a part to play when it comes to broadband signals and even wx conditions can make a difference.

HuntandFish
12th May 2008, 08:56
I have a Livebox . I have removed internal wiring as far as possible . I have even taken the cover off the BT socket and plugged in directly . It works most of the time but it does drop out every few days . Sometimes I can reconnect from the PC occaisionaly I need to reboot the Livebox . Not ideal but better than my previous router and extension wiring .
I tried Orange support once !!

helimutt
13th May 2008, 14:50
Mine tends to drop out every day mainly between 11.30 am and 3.30pm for some reason. Only thing I can think of is a higher usage bye everyone else on the same connection in this village. No idea how many. Maybe when BT get their finger out and upgrade my bl**dy line!!!:mad::ugh:

as for the indian call centre help line. They all read from exactly the same script. Unbelieveable. If you ask them a non standard question or give them a non standard reply, you'll get a silence as they look through their little manual.
Asked to do the same tests over and over. Given up now. I'll live with it.

Out Of Trim
13th May 2008, 17:56
helimutt

Have you checked the wiring in your BT socket. For ADSL and ADSL2+ there should only be two of possibly 6 wires connected now. My brothers connection on Orange is now apparently ADSL2+ and when he removed the unnecessary other wires, his speed improved by around 600 kbps.

I tried the same trick and although the Noise margin improved by about 3 DB, I had no speed improvement.

You only need wires 2 and 5 connected. The others are now redundant and just create extra noise. The other wires were for the Ring on old type phones.

see here for more info:- http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

Hope it helps you out

Cheers OOT.

HuntandFish
14th May 2008, 09:04
I also live in a village with poor broadband and I suspect high contention . It looks like we just have to live with it until BT upgrades .