PDA

View Full Version : local area connection icon lost

Rwy in Sight
10th May 2008, 14:09
I meant to help a buddy to install his ADSL connection but the first step was through the network connections (which we found :)) and then we looked for the local area connection it was not here.

Any ideas how we can make it re appear? Many thanks in advance..

Rwy in Sight

green granite
10th May 2008, 14:48
< start-settings-control panel-double click on Network Connections- right click on <local area connections> and select properties, tick the box that says "show icon in notification area when connected"

Rwy in Sight
10th May 2008, 17:07
Dear green granite,

Thanks for your kind assistance but I am not sure I can use it because the local area connections icon is no where to be found...

How do I make it appear?

Rwy in Sight

green granite
10th May 2008, 17:59
??????? errrrr try switching the control panel to "classic view" (on the left hand side of the window) you should then get a written list of all the items, one should say "network connections".

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/orangeherald/Image1-2.jpg

Rwy in Sight
11th May 2008, 12:52
green granite,

Sorry to bother you again but it seems I don't make myself clear: we have the network connection icon (or symbol) but we could not find the local area connection symbol.

Anyway my mate called the help line and he was told that the modem and instructions he had were meant for a computer with an ethernet card. Thus he is going to change the modem package.

Thanks again for the assistance

Rwy in Sight

Nightrider
12th May 2008, 11:27
Well, about 10 months ago I ran into the same problem. All good advises from here and several IT departments, professional shops, Microsoft and so on did only lead to the idea to re-install the Microcrap XP. :yuk:
This was not a solution as I would have lost all and sundry on the harddrive. Tried to backup, re-install and use the backup on another (very same)machine, icon was still not there.

Solution was to get Pure Networks' Magic Network and I use this one to manage all wireless and plugged connections.... It is a work-around, but it was and is a very good solution in my case. :rolleyes:

Parapunter
12th May 2008, 12:36
Right click on the system tray. Select properties from the pop up box, from there, click on customize on the Taskbar tab, find the icon in the list & choose always show from the menu.

Saab Dastard
12th May 2008, 12:49
All,

The issue here is not that Network Connections cannot be found, nor is it that an existing NIC connection is not appearing in the System Tray.

It is simply that there would appear to be no available network interfaces in the PC, and therefore no connections to configure in Network Connections.

If there is no LAN card or Wifi card or modem (or serial / parallel or USB "network" devices), then no icons will be present in Network Connections.

Once a physical device is installed and identified by the system and drivers loaded, then it will appear and populate Network Connections - which will otherwise remain blank, apart from the New Connection and Network Setup Wizards.

SD

Nightrider
13th May 2008, 08:45
SD, you are a great help in many cases. :D Unfortunately, this time you are wrong. Wifi, ethernet adapter, bluetooth, infrared, all working fine.

The whole part called network connections, my network places, network setup wizzard is simply gone. No icon in the tray at all. :*

The macine only connects to one network, at home. Cannot switch from wifi to ethernet anymore. :mad:

Network magic does it now. :}

There is something more to this and I understand that I am not alone with this problem. Even some helpful guys and girls at the microphone with Microcrap confirmed this..... :yuk:

Network magic has a free of cost testing phase, may be a solution to see if this lps before spending money.... :cool:

BOAC
13th May 2008, 09:29
I guess you have seen and worked through this? Was all ok or did it fail at some point?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825826/en-us

Also found this

To start the Network Setup Wizard make sure you have the Windows XP Installation CD handy and follow the steps below:

Insert the Windows XP Installation CD into the CD-ROM drive. The Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen should appear as shown in the picture below. If the Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP screen doesn't appear, click Start, Run, and in the Open box, type D:\Setup where D is the drive letter that is assigned to your CD-ROM.

Click Perform additional tasks.
Click Set up a home or small office network. The Network Setup Wizard then will prompt you

Click Yes. The Welcome to the Network Setup Wizard screen should appear. The Network Setup Wizard on computers running Windows XP already has the home networking installed so the Network Wizard will start immediately. If you are running Windows 98 or Windows Me, after the installation, you must possibly restart your computer.

Click Next to continue and follow the Wizard. The Wizard will list a series of steps to complete the network setup. Continue the Network Setup Wizard as appropriate for your small office or home network.

http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/nswcd.htm (this is the link where i got it from)