PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from an almost SIA pilot

Gladiator
7th Aug 2000, 21:24
Dear Gladiator,

I wish to express my sincere gratitude and
appreciation to you from the bottom of my heart for making your postings on pprune.

I am one of the latest victims of the most vicious and nastiest airlines in the world, SIA. I am a XXX Citizen, born in XXX but lived in XXX for 24 years, now XX, ATPL, X,XXXTT, BXXX FO & FE, B.Sc. in XXX.

I got married to a beautiful girl here in Singapore in XXX 99 after a long courtship. I was a XXX instructor for XXX at the time, and had flown with XXX.

It was only after my marriage that a relative who was friends with some SIA staff (Capt. XXX and XXX)offered to help me get a Pilot slot with SIA. I was told that if I could get my PR on my own then I would be a shoe in for the Cadet Pilot Program.

Once I got my PR and applied and was advised a interview was forthcoming I sold my car, gave up my apartment, quit my job and entered Singapore on XXX, 2000.

My first Interview with Ms. Doreen Yap and Capt. McCully went well. A month later I took the aptitude test and passed.

On XXX I had by final interview and tea party
where I was treated by these 4 chinese Pilot's as a so called worthless XXX. The interview was extremely brutal. I learned a week later that an XXX had recently flown a B747 to XXX and abandonded it and flown home.

Me and my wife would very much like to stay here in Singapore, there is not much for me in XXX. I sent a letter of appeal and that too was denied.

I think the world of what you write and I wish I found out about pprune.com before I came to Singapore and have waisted 4 months of my life and money.

If there is any advice you have for me, privately of course, please tell me.

Thank you,
XXX

VelvetStrokes
8th Aug 2000, 05:20
Bwaahhahahahhahhaah

I love it, I really do. Part of your forthcoming autobiography no doubt

NgapSayot1
8th Aug 2000, 06:09
Dear Readers,

There are a lot of hidden stories of SIA recruiting processes. Their recruitment processes and merits are based on nepotism and cronyism. Recently, a guy got into their cadet program because his old man knows one of SIA directors.

SIA initially told those who attended the interviews that they don't like Aussie Licences and ratings based of the fact that their system is the best in the world, as always. However, the guy that got in has an Aussie licence!!!!!

Where are the justice for those are qualified and really want to become dedicated pilots???? I hope SIA management is reading this topic and especially their Chairman, Dr. Michael Fam!!!!! If u do dare, please reply to this so called abuse of power of ur staff!!!!

Gladiator
8th Aug 2000, 11:41
Capt. PPRuNe has also had many e-mails to this effect thanking him for the creation and existance of PPRuNe.

I had a phone call a few days ago from a pilot that works for the same carrier as I.

He told me that he is being courted by Singapore Airlines and wants to try something different. He wanted my opinion.

To cut the story short, after a long discussion, he will not be wearing SIA wings on his uniform jacket. I have saved one more man from the wrath of SIA.

SIA management pukes know where I work and can read where the potential cadidates is presently employed.

Thank you Capt. PPRuNe.

Whiskery
8th Aug 2000, 15:22
So your Mate prefers light aircraft to big commercial jetliners - each to his own habibi!

ironbutt57
8th Aug 2000, 19:12
so it's better to prostitute yourself to liars and cheats to sit in the cockpit of a jet?

New York Pilot
19th Feb 2001, 01:32
Lets not forget what this poor soul went through. Let SIA Pilot Recruitment process live in infamy. I beleive it was Mr. Theverajah at SIA Pilot Recruitment who encouraged him to get his Singapore Permanent Residence and apply for the Cadet Pilot Program. He went so far as to even encourage him to purchase an expensive type rating such as the B747, etc. when he called from XXX well before his interview.

Once the sad interview outcome was as above, it was Mr. Thevarajah that "signed" the letter of rejection. Of course, he is too much of a coward to ever admit it to anybody, SIA maangement dare ask him.

PILLOW
19th Feb 2001, 07:09
Gladiator
As a disgruntled ex first officer who is willing to abscond from bond and pay a hefty penalty because you were found unsuitable for command training , you are hardly in a position to give an unbias opinion .

You had your chance and blew it . Why deprive others

PILLOW, consider this a warning. I won't tolerate this type of troll for a reaction, understand? If you have something substantial to add, then do so, otherwise think before you post.

No direct responses to this one please, do it by e-mail if you must.

Sick Squid
Far East Forum Moderator

[This message has been edited by Sick Squid (edited 19 February 2001).]

titan
20th Feb 2001, 04:23
Sick Squid:
Thankyou. It renews our confidence.

John:
Not a pleasant thing to say from one who should know a whole bunch better. You once flew the 747 but now fly a very old un-modded 727 doing the night shift, netting a quarter of what you use to, and living the type of life that we all have nightmares about.

People in stone houses shouldn't throw glass :]

Lee
20th Feb 2001, 08:56
Sick Squid,

Thank God, there is certainly a God! Censure the person not close the topic!

WLT
20th Feb 2001, 19:32
this is so interesting! i mean, you guys really hate SIA! i was just wondering if there could be anything good about SIA that anyone wanna share? anything at all? thank you.

WLT

Gladiator
20th Feb 2001, 23:00
Good things about SIA:

Unlimited use of the B747-400 simulator (F/Os only) between 0000 and 0600 (in my days anyway).
Singapore girls sure know how to party.
The Persian caviar was always top quality. The Chris Chili was also very nice.

titan
21st Feb 2001, 03:43
thinking ....... thinking ........ nope, not a thing!
How I wish it was otherwise; life can play a cruel hand sometimes.

EasyGo-Lucky?
21st Feb 2001, 08:23
Sick Squid....appreciate your warning above to maintain some decorum in here. I knew Gladiator and Pillows comments are undeserved and unnessesary.

Well titan I have been thinking about the above question for a week and still nothing. Just give me some time please, maybe Christmas.

[This message has been edited by EasyGo-Lucky? (edited 21 February 2001).]

Kaptin M
21st Feb 2001, 18:39
Dear xxx,
You are not the only one who has applied for an airline [any airline] job, and not been successful.

I'm sure that Capt xxx and xxx were well-intentioned, when they told you [what you hoped to hear] that you seemed to be suitable material for SQ.....unfortunately, there ARE no guarantees in life [except for death and taxes] - especially in aviation.

Bear in mind that Gladiator is now, and always has been a First Officer [of less than 7 years with SQ, and less than 4 years with Alaska Airlines,] and as such, his ambitions have not been realised, his experiences limited, and his prejudices jaundiced by the outcome of his actions [rightly or otherwise] wrt SQ.

Perhaps this was your first interview for an airline job.....interviews can vary widely, as far as perceived "friendliness" or otherwise is concerned, at it just might be that your "extremely brutal" assessment was intentional, to see how you would handle the knocks sure to come your way.

My suggestion to you, is to contact other pilots who are employed as expats [with say, Cathay, Dragonair, and Emirates], and ask them for their opinions.

No-one has the "right" to a job, just because he meets [or exceeds] the requirements the airline sets out, or because a pilot employed by the particular company tells you that you're a certainty.

Besides ALL of that, SIA is not paying market price for pilots anyway, so it may have been a blessing in disguise!

[This message has been edited by Kaptin M (edited 22 February 2001).]

WLT
21st Feb 2001, 20:15
To all the Big Boys in the Far East Forum,

Anyone think that the 20% pay hike in today's news will become a reality? Makes a difference when deciding Bali or Hawaii for a holiday? I have taken an interest in your postings and will check out the archives to get a hang of all posts/replies.

WLT

Gladiator
22nd Feb 2001, 06:11
Bali is more fun than Hawaii anyway!

Gladiator
22nd Feb 2001, 06:16
Kaptin M, please it is 'Alaska', not 'Alaskan'.

Kaptin M
22nd Feb 2001, 07:08
Thanks Glad, it's been edited, however, as an employee I'm sure you're aware that the general usage is "Alaskan" when referring to your company.

In that same vein, I wasn't aware that the marketing for "Iranian" caviar had changed to "Persian", however as a native Ayatollah you're probably more up with that than I.

You and titan seemed to have missed the boat, by not posting some anti-SIA stuff about the depletion of the sturgeon [due to overfishing, obviously for the roe], and the expected annihalation of the species within the next 10-15 years. I'm certain the pair of you [in association with your multiple other personalities] could build a fairly strong case that you could run with.....let's see now Sturgeon Insurgent Annihalists rapidly killing endangered species ??

Gladiator
22nd Feb 2001, 08:55
Kaptin M, it has always been ALASKA, never ALASKAN. However you may call it whatever you like.

The same goes for the caviar. You may call it Persian or Iranian. Either way it tastes just the same.

As for the rest, (with Clark Gable voice), "frankly Kaptin, I don't give a darn".

p.s. For your files and future use Kaptin, my place of birth is the United Kingdom. However, the Ayatollah sure did rock and rolla.

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 22 February 2001).]

New York Pilot
22nd Feb 2001, 09:07
Dear Kaptain M, SIA Management, and all PPRUNE readers,

I wish to identify myself as the person who wrote the above posted letter to Gladiator.

Let me start of by saying that I certanly do not have the right to any Pilot postion at SIA or any other airline. The people of Singapore are good descent people and the posting of my letter to Gladiator may have hurt some of them. Gladiator does perform a worthy service, however, my letter to him was never written to be posted.

However, the information is out so let me expand a bit and perhaps even SIA management may learn from this posting.

Frankly, I had already been employed by 3 airlines prior to my application for the SIA Cadet Pilot Program. I will admit only as an FO and FE, however, I was not simply inexperienced. My wife is Singaporean and was very anxious to stay in Singapore. I too felt that an SIA positon and experience would be invaluable. A realtive had me talk to Mr. XXXXXXXXXX through SINDA and I was advised to make application for my Singapore Permanent Residence and then he would help me. I do not believe Mr. XXXXXXXXXX ever thought I would get the most elusive Singapore PR and when I did he was then compelled to assist me. When I called him from my country he suggested that I get a B744 or similiar type rating as this would greatly boost my chances for my selection. This would have been at a great financial burden to me and my family and I am so glad I did not listen to him for he never asssited me again past this indifferent advice.

Then my realtive introduced me to one of SIA's Chief Pilot, I was so impressed, but who I am unable to name. He too suggested that my application, in light of my college degree, ATP, several thousand hours and airline experience would make me a shoe-in for the SIA Cadet Pilot Program.

When the interview was imminent I gave up my flying job, gave up my apartment, sold my car, and at a great financial sacrifice immigrated with my wife back to Singapore.

My first interview was Ms. XXXXXXX XXX and Capt. XXXXXXX. I was very impressed at the professionalism and conduct of my first interview. Mind you that the first interview was also very tough, however, there was a sense of fair play and I walked away feeling that I had been given a fair shot.

If I had received a rejection letter, I would have accepted it, packed my bags and flown home at this point. After all, I did not have a "right" to an SIA Pilot slot.

Well, I must have had some merits for I was allowed to proceed in the process. There came an apptitude test a month latter. That too was completed satisfactorly.

I then received a invitation for my notorious 7-7-2000 fianl interview tea party. (This will make it easy for SIA managment to locate my records).

I knew that for SIA I would have to be humble, subservent, and a down to earth candidate with exceptional qualites as a foreigner, now with a Singapore PR, to be selected.

The morning of the interview began with a group excersise. While I had experiences that the other candidates did not, I was carefull not to over step my bounds. I allowed others to get credit too, I tried very hard not to take too much credit.

At this point the 4 chinese Pilots assigned to the final interview / tea party where very quiet and friendly. Nothing unusual was apparent. There were 12 of us that day beign evaluated.

I was almsot last to be interviewed prior to the tea party. All others had 5-10 minute inteviews at the most. However, my interview would last 45 minutes.

I have nothing against Chinese people, they are generally nice, so I feared nothing. However, this interview was meant to single me out for extra harsh, brutal punishment and scurtiny. The interview was very personal, suggestions that I would in the future divorce my most darling Singapore wife and run away by not paying the bond were just a few of the items to be discussed. I answered each question quite bravely with honor and conviction. I was most honest with each and every answer.

When the beief tea party started the VP from the interview joked with me in front of all about the Singapore drug enforcement death penalty issue. Unfortunately, I was not subservent enough, and his feeling's must have been easly hurt, for he then internally on the records labled me as someone who would not "fit in" and the next day I was advised by Mr. XXXXXX XXX, a SIA low level staff, of my non-selection.

It was at this point that I wrote an appeal letter to Capt. XXXXXXX. However, he considered my letter to be arrogant for I was too direct in my assertion that I should have been selected. I had been cautious not to comlain of my treatment or any of the above in my letter to him. However, Capt. XXXXXX for his own reasons, could not comprehend what an applciant such as myself had already given up, and the turmoil created by allowing me to proceed 4 months into a new hire position only to be rejected at the last minute for unknown personal reasons.

It was Mr. XXXXXXX that signed the rejection letter under direction of Capt. XXXXXXX. Latter, a Singapore uncle wrote a 4 page heart felt letter to Capt. XXXXXXX explaining the unfairness and turmoil of the injustice. Capt. XXXXXXX secretary called my uncle to say he was away but this letter would not go unnoticed. However, the second appeal letter too went unread for Capt. XXXXXXX ordered his staff to write another rejection letter.

If this is the way SIA treats people than there is not enough money on this planet that would make me want to fly for them under any cicumstances. I am disappointed that there are no checks and balances to prevent abuse in SIA such as this and I will do what I can to forgive SIA.

However, bear in mind that Singaporean's are great people and deserve much respect.

Thank you for reading this. God bless all.

Thanks New York Pilot , excellent post and very brave to come out of the woodwork. My edit is simply to remove the real names you used... folks, please don't use real names explicitly or implicitly on this forum, unless it is your either own or public domain with regard to the subject under debate. A legal can of worms will thus stay closed.

And if you really want to fill in the blanks then NY Pilot, I'm sure, could always reply to a private e-mail, if you get my drift...

Sick Squid
Far East Forum Moderator

[This message has been edited by Sick Squid (edited 22 February 2001).]

Kaptin M
22nd Feb 2001, 10:53
Thanks NYP, your post contains a lot more detail than we were given originally, and I will admit that - in light of what you have said, your previous employment record, and not inconsiderable experience - it seems you've been given "white trash of Asia treatment" by one of the self-insecure locals. In general, the Singaporeans are pretty much like the rest of us, regardless of colour, race and creed, but there are the few odd exceptions there [as there are everywhere else], and for some reason it seems to be every company's policy to have at least one or two misfits in the upper echelons of their Flight Ops department. I'll bet any pilot could name at least one in the company he currently works for.

Unfortunately, you happened to be singled out for "special treatment" - one could only refer to their suggestions that I would in the future divorce my most darling Singapore wife and run away by not paying the bond, as a coolie mentality, and an ignorance of Western society and culture. I experienced it only a couple of times during my employment with SIA - basically the type of person who dishes this cr@p out, doesn't trust anyone....especially angmo's.

Apologies to you if I came across as a little high-handed in my initial post. Good Luck, and maybe after the broom has been put through the current management, you could renew your efforts to join SQ.....I found 95% of the locals [in, and away from SIA] to be decent, normal individuals.

anito4a
22nd Feb 2001, 14:36
Kaptin M, sir, since you have revealed which airline Gladiator flies for, it is only fair that you do the same and reveal your current airline of employ. :)

As for me, there's nothing to reveal ... I'm still on these bl**dy piston driven tin cans! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Cheers

Skyline
22nd Feb 2001, 14:51
Dear Gladiator,

Rest assured I know what you have sacrificed in hope of greener pastuers in SIA. However I wouldn't necessarily call yourself a victim. At the end of the day, the management of SIA reserves the right to employ or reject any aplicant based on what they deem is a suitable candidate or not whilst considering significant criteriors like the ability of the candidate to accept the culture and society in Singapore. Perhaps your move to sell your car and assets even before given the letter of offer was a little hasty? Flying into Singapore for your interviews would have proved a better move.

I was rejected by SIA because I didn't meet the eyesight requirement. SIA requires uncorrected vision of at least 6/24 whilst my uncorrected vision was in the region of 6/36. After correction, my vision was 24/6! My catagory of application was under the "Direct Entry", however I had to conform to "Cadet Pilot" requirements. How fair is that? Since when is eyesight these days a big issue? SIA sent me a letter thanking me for my interest in the airline. I even sent them a letter of appeal to no avail. A letter of explanation or acknowledgement would have been kind.

As sore as I was at SIA for being overly picky and almost rediculous even, I have moved on to greener pastuers and I am now much happier flying widebody jets with a competitor airline.

Gladiator, wishing you better skies ahead and fly safe!

PPRuNe Towers
22nd Feb 2001, 15:03
Ummmm Skyline,

I think you've mixed up Gladiator with New York Pilot - nevertheless congratulations on getting a quality job.

anito4a: A search on Gladiator's posts should show that he has mentioned where he's based, the aircaft he flies and a good few hints at the airline. It's kind of PPRuNe public domain knowledge. He's also mentioned the number of days off per month he gets. I won't go into any detail on that - sounds like paradise and I get far too upset.......

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]

New York Pilot
22nd Feb 2001, 19:58
Dear Skyline,

Please, allow me to clarify a bit as far as the culture and society part first. While I am an American now, I was born in India and have been coming to Singapore since I was 8 years old. I have family in Singapore, they own property and have lived there now for some 40 years or so. Also, it is extremely unfair of SIA to label all westner's, especially Americans, as undesirable just becuase of a few bad experiences. Many of my family have friends within SIA, I was encouraged to apply. I gave SIA many assurances that I had no intention of leaving and would honor my bond.

Also, I very much wanted only to fly in for just the interview as you suggested. However, SIA's Cadet Pilot Program stage interviews take 4 months. The airfare for me and my wife alone was at least US$2,000. I had been employed by Flight Safety International earlier but then a newer employer, when I received the interview letter, was unable to approve a large leave of absence. SIA also knew all this.

I say again that no one has the right to a pilot position, however, when you have an individual that you clearly know has given up so much to come before you, a certain amount of fair play and consideration is the right thing to do. I handled the rough treatment quite well in all the interviews but "the Vice President joking in the tea party about the Singapore drug enforcement procedures could not even handle just 2 seconds of the truth and cander" and used it to disqualify my by stating I did not fit in.

This after I gave up so much for them, they have all my records, they know what I am talking about, I have nothing to hide. I do not hate SIA or anybody else, I just find their treatment of me unlike anything else I have expereinced within the avaition industry in my life. Sad is it not, from an airline that has such a big pulic opinion.

Dear Kaptain M,

Thank you for your kind words and support. I love Singapore just as I love the United States and find both countries to have their own superior qulaities. I agree people of Singapore, in general, are good people. Its just that "SIA management is of the opinion that they can do anything they want and people will still want to fly for them." Somehow, I just do not feel that way.

Thank you everybody!!!!!

Kaptin M
22nd Feb 2001, 20:31
anito, a search of my previous postings will give you a fairly good idea as to where I was/was later/ and am, now...but is that REALLY important??!! The message, along with the associated padding, is the important bit...not who's delivering it!!

NYP, for such a short time in Singapore [the country and the airline], you appear to have a fairly firm grasp on attitudes with your comment, "SIA management is of the opinion that they can do anything they want and people will still want to fly for them.

There are pilots who would fly with SQ, because of its past reputation............BUT, there appear to be an ever increasing number who WON'T [fly for them] because of the pre-conceived opinions of: [a] occasionally severe [non-Asian] discrimination; [b] a non-descript SAFETY modus operandi;[c] a less than market level salary.

[This message has been edited by Kaptin M (edited 22 February 2001).]

Gladiator
22nd Feb 2001, 21:44
New York Pilot,

I apologize for posting your letter without your permission.

PPRuNe Towers (Rob),

There is a slot for you anytime at Alaska. Consider it done, just let me know when.

Gnote
22nd Feb 2001, 23:38
Hi Skyline, good you hear about the transition to another airline...who are you flying for? You can email the info to me @ [email protected]

Skyline
23rd Feb 2001, 13:55
PPRuNeTowers thanks! There is so much to read and say, I reckon I got confused.

Dear NYP,
It is sad to say, most Asian airlines now have this nationalistic policy where pilots are concerned. No doubt, the industry is growing at a good pace, more aircraft are being purchased and open skies policy gradually being adopted. There is still an urgent need for qualified commanders to fly the aircraft. This is where the expatriates are employed. I truely believe expatriate pilots within Asia are beneficial in many ways espacially contributing to flight safety and training. More importantly to discourage the "Captain Is ALWAYS Right" policy. It is rather unfortunate that after the local commanders have been trained, the expatriates always get the boot and usually leave with nothing more than extra hours in the log book.

I have been through the cadet pilot interview procedure twice in SIA and I was require to fly down to Singapore only once. The first informal interview was held in Kuala Lumpur. The second time, I was flown down to Singapore and all the physchological, final interview, tea party and medical were done in one go. My interview process would have surely differed from the expatriate applicants. I was holding a flying position at the same time of the interview but I wasn't willing to let go of anything unless I have signed my contract. USD$2,000 is a small sum to gamble with considering the huge payoffs if you were successful.

I am not pointing fingers at anyone but at the end of the day I still believe the airlines have the upper decision and maybe it was a little rash to give up everything so soon before laying down your John Hancock? I certainly wouldn't hire a pilot or give him extra merit for the sacrifices he made in order to make it to the interview. Would you? Having said that, the management people at SIA are terribly arrogant I believe.

NYP I sincrely hope you have found greener pastuers. Cheers and have one on me!

Dear Gnote, thanks for your well wishes!

New York Pilot
23rd Feb 2001, 18:40
Dear Skyline,

You are absolutely right, I should have just sacrificed the US$2,000 airfare a few times over the interview stages rather than have given up everything.

I have made a few mistakes in my life, just like everybody else. However, I sure have met a lot of great people though through this experience. They are here at Pprune, in Singapore, here in the United States and overall I have been given more kindness and understanding than I could have ever hoped for in a sitiuation like this. I feel sorry for those who have had a much worse experience than I did with SIA. God saved me from a much worse experience. It really makes me want to help my fellow man.

Its been a bit difficult to explain my decission on having immigrated to Singapore and back to the U.S. to future employers and 8 months latter I am still working on moving on to greener pastures. However, we do have a few more interviews lined up so I hope it is imminent.

God bless all!!! Thank you very much.

Lee
23rd Feb 2001, 22:57
Kaptin M,

Since you revealed Gladiator's airline, it is only fair that you reveal yours.

Come on, Kaptin, you can do better than that!

Kaptin M
24th Feb 2001, 00:39
I don't see the relevance, Lee. Would knowing my current employer cause you to place a different interpretation on my posts?

Anyway NYP, like a lot of experiences in life, you have learnt something from this one - fortunately you didn't follow that gentleman's advice, and fork out for the 744 rating - all the same, it has been a big upheaval for you and your wife, and obviously one that you could have done without.

Good Luck with the job hunt, we'll all be eager to hear where you end up.

muhdzailan
24th Feb 2001, 16:12
Dear Gladiator,

If you want to know more of the aircraft operated by Singapore Airlines visit my Unofficial homepage of Singapore Airlines:http://www.geocities.com/zailan_air

It is sure you can be a pilot of Singapore Airlines someday. :)

anito4a
24th Feb 2001, 17:20
Hey muhdzailan,

Gladiator was an SQ pilot and now flies for an airline in the US.

I can assure you that he would never want to fly for SIA again!!

...welcome to Pprune land, man... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

titan
24th Feb 2001, 17:48
- requesting Sick Squid's permission to post -

KaptinM:
Gladiator has already gone the distance. He has also taken on SIA and won.
I would also hazard to guess that Gladiator has a greater and broader flying experience than yourself. He is also prepared to stand up and fight for what he believes in, and not indulge in the hit and run tactics that others may deploy. Yes, he is an FO, but then so are YOU! The difference is that he does not purport to be anything else, unlike yourself with your chosen name.
I do not believe your persistent attacks on the person rather than the subject do you any credibility. May I suggest a new tack in your endeavours to be noticed; try posting lucid, interesting and informative posts. It really will make a world of difference.

Every new journey starts with the first step. Best of luck.

Gladiator
24th Feb 2001, 20:55
Titan thank you for your support. Kaptin M let us not start another round of BS slinging. There are more interesting topics to discuss. For me Singapore Airlines vs. Gladiator is over, it is now history. I know it cost SIA millions and I am the most hated angmo by SIA management.

As for being an F/O or otherwise, here in the US being a commander is no more or less than being a brand new flight attendant or F/O. Everybody gets the same due respect, everybody is on first name without breach of protocal.

From a career point of view, here in the US command is based on seniority number and nothing else. In fact the employer has no say or control over one's command slot, aircraft, or basing. The pilot decides, bids and the strength of seniority rules the day.

Since Kaptin M is interested in my career advancement my command slot is scheduled for either end of 2001 or early 2002. In the latter case it would be just over 4 years.

For me command is nothing but an economic consideration. Here calling your Captain, "Captain", may even be considered sarcastic.

It is also not uncommon amongst crew to actually bid back to F/O for a period of time. This would be for whatever reason, family, better commute, better schedule, etc.
We live in a different world here, our motto here is strictly quality of life.

I will be glad to discuss my favorite color next (Just kidding Agent M).

Gnote
25th Feb 2001, 04:09
Hey Gladiator, which part of the States are you in? How did you get your work permit for the US? What fleet are you in?

Oh yeah, I was also scorned by SIA because I chose to speak what I belived in during the interview. Oh well life goes on.

Cheers Bud

[This message has been edited by Gnote (edited 25 February 2001).]

New York Pilot
25th Feb 2001, 06:56
Gnote & other's reading this topic,

I think you are writing to me, New York Pilot, and NOT Gladiator. He simply posted my first email to him and started this topic back in August.

I am, as per my user name, living in New York and I have been an FO & FE on the B727. I will be happy to assist anybody I can with whatever information and assistance I can supply. As aviator's, we are all in it together. Send me an email. Address: [email protected]

Everybody,

THANKS for the support and the good vibes!
NYP

[This message has been edited by New York Pilot (edited 25 February 2001).]

New York Pilot
25th Feb 2001, 07:07
Perhaps, readers of this topic may also want to read with in Pprune Rumors & News the topic "Singapore Airlines Recruiting Policy".

I say again, "it is SIA's opinion that they can do what they want and people will still want to fly for them. Somehow, I just do not feel that way."

May all expat Pilot's of every race, religion and nationaility be forewarned.

thegypsy
28th Feb 2001, 09:02
Almost everything you hear about S.I.A. on PPrune is true. I am still bonded to S.I.A. so I have been here less than 5yrs and 5months otherwise I would not still be here! That is not to say that is not right for some people. If you want your contract renewed then you must say nothing and l;ook the other way. Gen Bey still believes in the philophosy that all Pilot"s mistakes must be punished {financial of course being S.I.A.}That kind of view left forward looking Airlines years ago which makes S.I.A. an inherintly unsafe Airline. Fatigue is rampant on 747 fleet with some crews owed 2 years leave!!Since SQ6 DFO has changed his title to SVP so as to hide his responsibilities in this sad affair.

New York Pilot
6th Mar 2001, 03:11
Recently, I was advised a Singaporean went to Oxford in the UK and obtained his ratings in hopes of flying for SQ. Much latter when he was unsuccessful with the notorious SIA Recruitment process for the Cadet Pilot Program his father had a heart attack. He now has a job in Singapore but does not fly.

It is one thing to be a Pilot, but its another thing to be an employed Pilot. Those young hopeful aviators have much fewer options in Singapore than those of us in the western world.

jamirofunk
1st Nov 2001, 19:50
Hi everyone!

Young amateur here though. I would like to say that young aviators like me aren't given much chances in Singapore to further our knowledge in aviation here. An example is in school where it is the best place for learning and yet they are not taking the advantage to further help those students with great potential in becoming future pilots. Because of this reason, very few people in Singapore are actually interested in aviation. I have practically no friends in school that are into aviation and my only friends that are into aviation are those that I meet online such as forums like this and chatrooms. Thanx for hearing me out people, I sure hope Singapore can do something about this matter!

Signing off
Andrew