PDA

View Full Version : Highland Airways 75th anniversary

mustpost
10th May 2008, 06:48
A topical piece, given the independence referendum issue! Some interesting stats here...Fresson was indeed a pioneer.
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/latestnews/The-marvellous-man-and-his.4070221.jp

DB6
10th May 2008, 07:26
I recently read his book 'Air Road to the Isles' and the man was a real pioneer. As a current Loganair pilot I get to go where he went and in the weather he used to meet :eek:. But I'm in Saab 340 with ILS/VOR/NDB etc. He didn't have them. Some bloke, and with an excellent attitude towards bureaucracy i.e. he really hated it. I was in Sumburgh the day of the anniversary and didn't get to see the occasion but heard plenty of aircraft heading to Kirkwall; at least they had beautiful weather for it. We owe him a lot, and good luck to Highland Airways for the future (but not too much as I want to stay with Loganair for a good while yet!).

Hyperborean
10th May 2008, 15:42
If you go to my post"Ahh DeHavilland" I've put in a link to the Kirkwall terminal manager's blog site. He has some good pics of the Kirkwall events.
(note to moderator maybe these threads could merge?)

donrokie
8th Jan 2009, 19:54
I came across this topic while looking for some information on an aviation artrifact I have aquired. I have a solid silver novelty lighter that was presented by Highland Airways to Lady Provst Alexander as a thank you for christening the DH dragon airliner "Aberdeen" on the 7th of may 1934. It is a stunning little mono wing aircraft with a wing span of about 7" sitting on a wooden plynth that would have carried batteris to power the lighter. Any more info out there on this event?