PDA

View Full Version : SQ - Emergency Landing in Singapore

PayingPassenger
21st Nov 2000, 19:46
Heard "news" of a SQ's B747 on flight from Singapore to Rome with more than 100 pax on board, making an emergency landing in Singapore after loosing 2 tires soon after take off. Anyone care to verify that?

Boeing666
21st Nov 2000, 20:38
A340. Tire burst on take-off roll. Got airborne, dumped a lot of fuel. Returned to land. Cest la vie......

SlimShadey
23rd Nov 2000, 06:42
dun think it was reported anywhere but boeing666 is right, it was a340.

hailstone
23rd Nov 2000, 08:41
neither do i work for singapore airlines, nor am i singaporean - i merely live and work (or work and live) in singapore.

i have the feeling that since TPE, sq is going through quite some journalistic exposure, whereby every single 'incident' makes the press big time in the form of tabloid style headlines

sq32? engine failure on take off fm sin to lhr and return to sin on 31 oct
sq23? hydraulic problem whilst in flight syd-sin with diversion to bne on nov 01/02
sq340 to rome as stated in this thread
sq866 yesterday to hkg with engine shutdown an hour into flight and return to sin
the famous touch and go's or G/A's in kul recently

is this a bit like what happened to qantas after their overrun in bkk with subsequent controlled evacuation ?
i recall that there was an article in the news almost every other day for months, outlining every little incident.

maybe i should get a hold of some aircraft's logbooks through my dad and send those off to the press (i know that is a bad 'joke' - just kidding)

[This message has been edited by hailstone (edited 23 November 2000).]

Lurk R
23rd Nov 2000, 10:15
Be prepared for months of situations whereby even the simplest of go-arounds will be reported in the same para as SQ006...

hailstone
23rd Nov 2000, 15:15
exactly my point lurk R - probably down to reports of journos seeing an sq a/c in a maintenance hangar and reporting it or witnessing smoke from the tyres on touchdown and reporting it

titan
23rd Nov 2000, 16:56
Hailstone:
"maybe i should get a hold of some aircraft's logbooks through my dad and send those off to the press (i know that is a bad 'joke' - just kidding)"

Not such a joke. There is a legal battle in the Perth Supreme Court between an ex-SIA pilot and SIA where all those logbooks will have to be produced by SIA for the trial. All SIA's dirty washing will be on display.

It would seem that this is just the beginning of SIA's media woes.

Streamline
23rd Nov 2000, 17:29
Titan

Can you get me some more info about that trial case, I am in a similar position.

[This message has been edited by Streamline (edited 23 November 2000).]

titan
24th Nov 2000, 08:46
Streamline:

Singapore Airlines Ltd v Nevan Pavlinovich & Others
CIV 1985 of 1998
Supreme Court of Western Australia