PDA

View Full Version : PNG

Stormynights
10th May 2008, 04:29
Am thinking off applying for jobs in Png
does anyone have opinions on the operators and contacts for them
is it still a good career move to Fly there?

Old Fella
10th May 2008, 06:04
Flying in PNG is as challenging as anywhere, I believe. As for the operator's and their standards I can't comment. What I can say is that there would be few, if any, "old bold" pilots up there. Bold pilots seem to ultimately end up embedded into the side of a mountain somewhere. One thing, most of the flying is done by early afternoon, before the clouds roll in.

Captain Nomad
11th May 2008, 04:17
Grab a metal detector and run it past your nads first - if you get a positive possible 'steel balls' return then you should probably give it a go...! :} :ok:

A lot ageing aircraft up here but some newer and okay machines around. It's not for everyone - that's for sure. Do your homework, do some thread searches here and check out http://www.pngair.com/ for some pictures. Most operators run crews on tours these days.

Happy homeworking...:ooh:

Oh, and I would have to disagree with you old fella - PNG is not just as challenging as anywhere - it has some pretty unique challenges which are all it's own...

Old Fella
13th May 2008, 00:51
Hi Captain Nomad. No argument from me, my point was that it is as challenging as anywhere, not that it did not have unique challenges of its own. So does Antarctica, very challenging also and certainly different to PNG. Mendi in a heavily laden C130 could get exciting, different excitement to polar flying and warmer.

tinpis
13th May 2008, 01:22
Old Fella did you do any work for the 12th Chief Engineer Works moving into Mendi in '71?

Old Fella
13th May 2008, 09:01
Tinpis, no mate. Spent time based in Madang and operating into Mendi for some time when the Yam crops failed in '72. Rice, tinned fish out of Madang into Mendi and potatoes from Cairns into Mendi. Later into Mendi on an occasional basis until end of '78.

tail wheel
13th May 2008, 09:05
Ah, the Gamin Famin??? :}

Betcha you've had a few at the Clive Steel Club? :}

greenslopes
13th May 2008, 09:41
Stormy nights,

I used to work for MBA who are now APNG. Good Co to work for. Look them up on the web,give them a call or do as many of us used to do.buy a ticket fly across with a backpack and need for a job and you should do allright, specially with North Coast aviation etc

Good luck and enjoy

Remember Fear causes hesitation and hesitation will bring your worst fears to reality................:ok:

tinpis
14th May 2008, 20:20
I helped pour the cement footings for that Klab
Who the HELL was Clive Steel? :confused:

yerex
14th May 2008, 21:35
I recall he was league player/DDMan residing Mendi, however there may have been other attributes. The dementia is setting in, but I think he died during a league game or traffic accident.(Similar!!!)(No disrespect intended)

tinpis
15th May 2008, 00:38
Oho ! ...google is my friend
Still none the wiser really, it was Army property I guess and was placed on the site of the old Mendi Valley Klab
Could think of quite a few names more appropriate
Des Clancy Klab
Ron Neville Klab
"Brown" Heageny (Good Morning) Klab :p

Major General Sir Clive Steele Memorial Gates

The Memorial Gates at the entrance of the SME are symbolic of the Bridge which was conceived and designed in 1942 by MAJGEN Sir Clive Steele, K.B.E., DS.O., M.C., V.D.. The bridge was manufactured in Australia during WWII when Bailey Bridging supplies were unavailable.

Brigadier Clive Steele, Engineer Commander of the Australian Army HQ had departed Colombia aboard SS Orcades in Mar 1942 bound for Australia. The "Designers" of the bridge, CAPT. G.D. Colebatch and R.A. Simpson on the staff of C.R.E. 7th Div Corps Troops were instructed by Brigadier Steele to carry out a detailed design and prepare drawings and specifications for a heavy bridge to be fabricated on and prepare drawings and specifications for a heavy bridge to be fabricated on arrival in Australia. On arrival in country Hume Steel Ltd fabricated the test sections and in April 1942 the first test section of the Steele Bridge was assembled and tested with a single tank passing without incident. When tested with two tanks, deliberately overloading the bridge, it failed. A hurried redesigned of the cross-bracing on the top chords resulted in the bridge passing all tests. One of the early Steele Bridge sets was dispatched here to the School for training purposes.

For spans up to about 120 ft the Steele Bridge proved to be invaluable in the South West Pacific campaigns before the more sophisticated and more expensive Bailey and Australian Panel bridges became available.

Old Fella do you remember the inimitable Sgt Ozzy Osbourne?

Back to stormynights question.
Cant see how a couple of tours in PNG would fail to do you some good
Its not like the old days you have more chance of surviving long enough to learn something now:p

Pinky the pilot
15th May 2008, 11:21
MAJGEN Sir Clive Steele, K.B.E., DS.O., M.C., V.D.

Sure about that last 'decoration,' are ya Tin?:}:D:uhoh:

Peter Fanelli
15th May 2008, 14:20
A lot ageing aircraft up here but some newer and okay machines around. It's not for everyone - that's for sure. Do your homework, do some thread searches here and check out http://www.pngair.com/ for some pictures.

Shame the owner of that site is unable to type QANTAS without putting a u in it.

Old Fella
16th May 2008, 03:36
Tinpis, yes I do remember Ossie, an Army Load Co-ordinator I believe. Have been a civvy since '81, have not seen Ossie since before that time.

Ricky Bobby
25th May 2008, 08:00
Previously I flew for many years in OZ GA and I can honestly say I have never had better job satisfaction than what I have now.

There are different challenges facing you and so many things you take for granted in OZ aren't available here. A lot of the time it will be you, your wits and your ability. Fantastic stuff!:ok: