PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question for the instructors out there

av8trflying
10th May 2008, 02:56
On the CPL flight test form it states "Knew the requirements for an AOC".

Can anyone please tell me what you believe the answer to this is supposed to be. I am getting a few conflicting answers so I thought I would put the question out to the masses.

Thanks for your replys in advance.

Charlie Foxtrot India
10th May 2008, 03:08
It is concerned with the requirement that to fly commercial operations you must work under an AOC, with all the requirements of CASA approvals, ops manuals, chief pilot, etc etc.

av8trflying
10th May 2008, 03:17
So just to confirm that to fly commercially you must comply with everything listed under CAO 82.1?

Lasiorhinus
10th May 2008, 06:18
Um, to fly, commercially or otherwise, you must comply with all the CARs, CAOs and CASRs..

TheGruntski
10th May 2008, 07:56
"Knew the requirements for an AOC".

The question i got on my CPL flight test was. An AOC tells you 3 things what are they?

Answer: It tells you, what you can do, where you can do it, and what you can do it in!

That answer was sufficient to pass and no other questions on the matter were asked.

What you can do: i.e. Aerial Work, Charter, Flying Training etc etc.
Where you can do it: i.e. In Australia, International Ops, for Flying training, at what locations you can teach out of.
What you can do it in: i.e. What aircraft types.

Cap'n Arrr
10th May 2008, 15:25
Main one is usually the ops manual, as well as Chief Pilot (and CFI for a school). Know whats usually in an ops manual, and have a look on the casa site at a few AOCs (theres a lot up there) to see whats on them.:ok:

Icarus53
11th May 2008, 01:15
So just to confirm that to fly commercially you must comply with everything listed under CAO 82.1?

CAO 82 stipulates the requirements the operator has to comply with in order to be issued with (and keep) an AOC. As a commercial pilot, you should at least be aware of the things your employer should be doing in order to comply, but it is not specificaly your responsibility.

Otherwise, as previous posters have noted, you need to know two things:

1) As a CPL holder, you can't just go and start commercial operations. You must hold an AOC (or be employed to operate under someone else's)

2) Understand what your specific AOC authorises in terms of type of operation, aircraft etc. You are responsible for operating within the specific authority of the AOC.

Good luck!

av8trflying
11th May 2008, 07:58
Thanks guys that is exactly what i was after.

Much appreciated.

Matt J
11th May 2008, 12:49
What does AOC stand for?

SeldomFixit
11th May 2008, 13:03
with all the references given above Matt, you are joking yes ? Would someone put the answer on a silver spoon so poor Matty doesn't have to do any damned research ? :ugh:

sms777
12th May 2008, 00:06
Come here mate, stand behind me i will protect you from the firing squad.

AOC: Air Operators Certificate

:ok:

capt787
12th May 2008, 03:06
check out civil aviation act, section 27. i am not sure whether they will ask you question base on that.

Scottzilla90
12th May 2008, 11:29
I tell my guys that there are 3 or 4 "requirements FOR an AOC"

1) Must have a Chief Pilot

2) Must have an Ops Manual

3) Must have a place of Business

4) If it is a flying school, must have a CFI

Don't now if its right but it works..... :8