PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airlines near miss in Perth Australia

storyman
23rd Nov 2000, 16:03
A Singapore Airlines 777 ignored instructions to hold short of runway21 at Perth Airport in Australia today. The Ansett Airbus on short final was forced to execute a last minute go-around. The incident happened at 0910 local time.

Who will SIA blame this time?

noidea
23rd Nov 2000, 16:41
do we have a date of when this occurred.

titan
23rd Nov 2000, 17:00
I think the operative word is "today"

Anti Skid On
23rd Nov 2000, 17:06
Ah but today (GMT) could be last night in Perth! :)

titan
24th Nov 2000, 04:41
Perth is GMT+8
incident happened 23 Nov 00

NCC-1701e
24th Nov 2000, 08:48
They are gonna blame the airport again, for not putting a holding point for runway 21 on runway 29 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

guvner
26th Nov 2000, 14:13
storyman,

Without wanting to wade into an interesting verbal joust I'm sure, I am curious, is your post intended to be informative, accusative, malicious or just mischievous?

Kaptin M
27th Nov 2000, 02:44
You must be a "newby", Guv. It's part of an ongoing anti-SIA crusade, by Gladiator, and his tagalong, titan, to avenge their court-enforced payments of their 1/4 million dollar [each] "breach of employment contract" penalties.

Either that, or they are self appointed watchdogs, who report solely on Singapore Airlines alleged incidents, whilst ignoring all other carriers.

Biased? maybe. Litigious? Time will tell!

A Few Good Men
27th Nov 2000, 02:50
1/4 M $,hmmm,how would you know this Kaptin M.How did you come about this figure,did titan or gladiator tell you or just guessing?

titan
27th Nov 2000, 04:24
KaptinM:

SIA has NEVER been to court over the bond!!
Not only are you uninformed, but you are incapable of comprehending the dozens of times that this fact has been regurgitated.

GUV:
Wen is news not news? The facts are there. At 0910 local on 23/11/00 a SIA 777 disobeyed an instruction to hold short and taxied into the path of an Ansett Airbus on short final, forcing the Airbus to do a go-around.
Which part do you consider un-newsworthy?
I would have thought SIA would be a little gun shy at the moment over illegal runway incursions.

Titan - a training issue arises here - attack the arguement, fact, or opinion. Don't abuse the writer.

I'll delete your entire post next time you try this on. If you persist I will globally delete your posts for the day, next time the month and then the year if nescessary.

I know you have them all stored - It'll be handy for setting up your own site. PPRuNe Towers

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Towers (edited 27 November 2000).]

tsentsan
27th Nov 2000, 05:35
sorry to intrude on the conversation, but we in perth have the incident occur at 1615 local time not 0910hrs.

Kaptin M
27th Nov 2000, 05:45
Maybe newsworthy at the local aero club, for all the week-end warriors to "ooh" and "aahh" over, titan, and of course for the media, who will [like you] try to capitalise on any minor infraction SQ makes, following the Taiwan crash.

However, if ALL the go-arounds carried out on a daily basis, around the world, due to runway incursions were reported by the press, it would be equivalent to reading the never-ending drivel spewed out by you and glad, here on PPRuNe!

noodles
28th Nov 2000, 05:28
It is not the missed approach that is unique, rather, the unauthorised runway incursion by an SIA aircraft. That is unusual and in light of the SQ6 accident, highly relevant.

Does SQ need to examine its training philosphy to correctly emphasise safety during ground manouvering?

Gladiator
28th Nov 2000, 06:49
That is correct noodles indeed the incursion is the issue. But please give the other posts a chance as PPRuNe is frequented by other than professional pilots as well.

guvner
28th Nov 2000, 19:00
KM & titan,

Read all the gumph about SIA. I just thought it was a disappointing observation by storyman at the end of post. But then it is a rumour network...as everyone keeps pointing out.

FalseCapture
29th Nov 2000, 08:51
Storyman/NCC-1701e,
FYI, SIA's Dr Cheong has publicly accepted responsibility for the SQ6 accident. I don't think SIA has pushed/or are pushing the blame on anyone else.

As to why the Capt's nationality was made known, don't you think it is more transparent than saying "pilots nationality withheld"?

Dr Cheong specifically said that it was an SIA aircraft, flown by SIA pilots, on the wrong runway. Note that he didn't say flown by a Malaysian pilot!

If or when SIA did not reveal any information, they will be accused of withholding/hiding information. Yet when they do, they are accused of other things.

Makes you wonder.....

If indeed there was a runway incursion, there will be an incident report filed, and SIA will act on it accordingly.

PILLOW
1st Dec 2000, 06:34
If this is true , BASI would carry out an investigation and the result will will be make available in their quarterly Journal . If you are an Australian License holder you will receive a copy .

So why are some people quick to shoot from the hip .

PILLOW
1st Dec 2000, 12:26
TITAN

NEWS is when the truth is verified . In the case of QF after the BKK incident , at least the media attempt to verify the truth .

In this case , choice if words is deliberately used to sensationalise the supposed incident . Very good for third grade magazine but hardly fitting for a professional pilot .

Pilots had always been rated higher than the medical profession in public opinion . I really hope it remains this way

[This message has been edited by PILLOW (edited 01 December 2000).]

anito4a
1st Dec 2000, 16:18
BASI reports are now available online, presumably, so that the wider aviation community can learn from past accidents and incidents.

Now, what can we all learn from this one?

<A HREF="http://www.basi.gov.au/occurs/ob199805323.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.basi.gov.au/occurs/ob199805323.htm</A>

tsentsan
3rd Dec 2000, 13:40
anito, that report you referred to is a 1998 incident involving a miscommunication betw ATC and the Pilot. Anything on the current incident?

anito4a
3rd Dec 2000, 16:03
tsentsan,

I don't think it's miscommunication between ATC and aircrew... The A340 reported maintaining FL330 and then proceeded to overshoot that level...

WRT the current incident, there's nothing published yet...

[This message has been edited by anito4a (edited 03 December 2000).]

Sir Jerker
5th Dec 2000, 08:10
To FalseCapture
"If there was a runway incursion, Singapore Airlines will act on it accordingly". Didn't you mean to say "hide the whole incident as best they can". Pay money if they have to, to keep the truth from getting in the way of what really happened. Perhaps someone could detail the supersonic A310 over the Bay of Bengal. Wait a minute. That was written up as "severe height loss over Bay of Bengal" and that is all that was written. Perhaps someone could detail the stalling of a -400 over Hungary. Wait a minute that really didn't happen did it. Act accordingly? What a joke! You are kidding aren't you.

An to Kaptin M, does Singapore need to re-examine it's training philosphy? People have been crying for them to do this for years. Will it happen? No! A Singaporean is incapable of learning the way of modern aviation. That involves CRM and gets rid of the God status of the Singaporean captain. Not going to happen mate. Never!!

Kaptin M
5th Dec 2000, 08:34
Dear Sir Jerker, alias titan or Glad - I'm not sure, nor care which, but the repetitve rhetoric isn't disguised by a change of names - both of you have experienced flying in only one Asian airline. From my experience in several, and from talking with other "western" pilots, the status of captain is undeniably at the top of the crew pyramid, and because of that perceived position, there is a tendency to not challenge, or speak up, when something "out of the ordinary" arises. It is not peculiar only to Singapore.

There are some locals who will give the F/O a real bollocking, just for entertainment - I'm sure you can both think of at least one example - and, unfortunately, there are some expats who don't take long to realise that they can also command a "God-like" respect, if they act like all-knowing pricks.

It's whole cultures that will have to be changed, to completely correct the cockpit discipline - a little like someone telling you that you must not speak up, if you see something wrong.