PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Management

A.M.C
9th May 2008, 20:57
Hi guys and girls!

First post! was recommended this site for good info!

Just wondering, how can one find management clients? Whats the best way to go around winning a management client?

I have always wondered how airlines find and then operate for aircraft owners.

all help would be great,

Regards,

A.M.C

A.M.C
11th May 2008, 13:32
Can anyone help?

Ive been given the funding to start a small operation up and would like some information...

I know how everything has to be run...getting the clients is the problem I face.

thanks

AMC

airfoilmod
11th May 2008, 15:09
Marketing is the key to any business venture. I have owned a restaurant and a small air freight outfit. In the food business, most owners believe in the "word of mouth" model, and the industry has a very high failure rate. Molding your capabilities to your market prior to promotion is critical. Sounds like "you know all that". The fact that you are unaware of the options available in the industry is telling, and emphasize your need to acquire some energy in this area. You are in need of a "targeting" dynamic, call a friend in the business. If you can't think of a friend in your new venture, buy some golf clubs. To make a small fortune in aviation, one must first start with a large one.

mutt
11th May 2008, 18:13
Unfortunately for you, aircraft management companies are two a penny! What have you got that is special enough to encourage someone to give you a multimillion dollar investment to look after?

Mutt

Phil Brockwell
12th May 2008, 08:32
I can only talk of my personal experience, but our management contracts came from existing charter clients whose requirements better suited owning rather than chartering. I would concentrate on getting your operation up and running with AOC and aircraft, the mangement will only come from "brand fans" with deep pockets.

Hopefully you have a few years experience in the charter market in a commercial role, so you should have something to market (you!), if you have no experience in operating aircraft I would simply save yourself a ot of time and energy and put your investment capital into something that you know about.

Phil

Pace
12th May 2008, 08:42
I would go with a lot of what Phil says. May I also add that this is a small world.

It is amazing how most of us know each other get leads and give leads.

You have to know your business and have the contacts and that can take a lot of time to build.

Networking is important and getting the right introductions. If you dont have that background and knowledge you are wasting your time and money.

Pace

Phil Brockwell
12th May 2008, 09:17
I agree Pace, but it's easier to get management contracts than keep them, with no experience (and I am only assuming that AMC has none from the nature of his posts), how would you have the ability to retain clients with good service if you haven't had those painful learning cock-ups?

Pace
12th May 2008, 14:04
Phil

Yes point taken but as I have just been involved in a lenthy damage recovery exercise over a jet purchase you have to put out a word of caution.

My guy purchased a jet with little knowledge. Got ripped off then into no end of a mess. He thought he knew what he was doing.

He came to us in a desperate state with his tail between his legs.

Luckely we have managed to recover the situation in a multitude of areas to a point that he is now in a good position with his aircraft without going into details.

So amateur buyer or would be operator beware.

Pace

Duck Rogers
12th May 2008, 14:40
Hi Pace, your PM box appears to be full, trying to get in contact with you...

Pace has selected 'No' in his profile in response to the questions about receiving email and PM's.

Avoids all those irritating bills and pizza delivery menus. ;)

Pace
12th May 2008, 15:03
Hi

I get directed to a new E mail page which shows all my folders as empty
Mail me on [email protected]

It says I have used 1% of my 25 mg mailbox and all my folders are empty with no sign of my previous mail
Also can not find the option you mentioned

thanks

pace

Duck Rogers
12th May 2008, 16:40
Pace.

Go to the top of the page, click on 'UserCP' then on the next page under 'Control Panel' on the left select 'Edit Options'. On the following page under 'Messaging & Notifications' you'll find the options to allow PM's and email.

You're welcome ;)

sooty615
13th May 2008, 20:35
A.M.C.

The above advise is sound, and clearly comes from those who have experience in this field, but I wonder what "qualifies" you to manage the investment a principal makes in his aircraft, and quite what it is that you believe you can offer him by way of a management service.

Your reference to "airlines" getting clients makes me wonder, but if you are under the impression that it's just a bit more work than simply flying the airplane, you are very much mistaken. Be assured that most (but not all) principals (private aircraft) have a fair understanding of what is required, and if your knowledge is lacking, they will soon suss you out. Bear in mind also that there will be other (maybe more qualified and certainly more experienced) management companies chasing the same client - and there is a good chance that some of them will certainly know what they are talking about!

Getting the contract requires a good degree of salesmanship, a good degree of knowledge, and a good degree of good fortune (too many good's in there perhaps?), but KEEPING the contract requires a high degree of service, knowledge and cunning. There are many out there only too anxious to steal an already "set-up" contract - and some scumbag Captains you employ are the first to watch out for, so be warned.

It may be that your "investors" would be interested in you purchasing an existing contract. I'm not permitted to advertise here, but it just so happens that I have one client too many at the moment..........a charming gentleman, an on time payer and a pretty quick jet that's only two years old. I wish I could tell you more, but pprune would charge me for the ad!

I hope that is of some help, and happy hunting!

Sooty

A.M.C
13th May 2008, 21:00
Hi,

Thanks everyone for the support, I may be not have all the experience in the world, however there is time. And I do have a great deal of support from people that are very experienced.

thanks for all the advice and help.

AMC