PDA

View Full Version : ATPL - Costs. Just Books & Examinations?

daria-ox
9th May 2008, 20:42
Hey there again :)

I was just wondering about ATPL examinations, can you do it privately by just buying all books and then simply going to glasgow and passing the exams? or do i have to sign into a school and stuff?

bajadj
9th May 2008, 20:47
I'm afraid the CAA will only let you take exams if you are registered on a course with an approved school. I think it's because the school has to "sign off" that you've put in the required hours. 600 or so I believe.

daria-ox
9th May 2008, 20:53
Thanks very much :)
Do you know how much would a full time ATPL course cost? :)

bajadj
9th May 2008, 21:01
depends on where you go. I believe the cheapest is CATS which is £999 for the online version + CAA exam fees £62 x 14 if i remember correctly. I know the oxford residential course which I'm on is £4200 + Caa exam fees. I think Bristol is somewhere in between at two thousand and something.

there's a few others including London Met and Atlantic @ Coventry...sorry for any i've missed out!

Rugbyears
10th May 2008, 08:40
BGSBristolGroundSchool is £2100 for both modules an additional CAA Examination fee is required £62x14. If you decide to study modules individually, costs are: Mod one £1300 and Mod two £800 – Best of luck

You’ll find opinions widely vary on which ground school is best; usually it will come down to those who attend a particular school, then champion that one. Me personally, I recommend BGS. I suggest you take time out and chat to each school individually and assess which suits your needs best.

bajadj
10th May 2008, 08:48
I agree with the Fox. from my experience so far a good 90+ percent of the JAA exams can be found in the BGS Qbank. Best 50 quid I've ever spent.