PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instructor Course - To build hours?

daria-ox
9th May 2008, 16:40
Hi there.

I am about to start my PPL training.. then I am willing to do the theory examinations for ATPL and then CPL. But the thing is, I'm sixteen years old at the moment. I'l probably finish PPL, ATPL + CPL By the time I'm nineteen/twenty. But what then? I will only have about 200 hours in my log book and I don't think that any airline will even look at my CV so I was wondering if it would be a good idea to take a Flying Instructor Course and work as it for up to a year to build my hours and then apply to an airline?
How much does the course cost? and is this all a good idea?

Shunter
9th May 2008, 17:05
Firstly you need to get a grip of how it all works. The ATPL exams cover both the CPL and IR. That's it. The CPL and IR exams can also be done separately, but they're a lower standard and not suitable for airline pilots.

An FI rating will cost you (roughly) £5k and obviously will get you a load of hours in your logbook. The pay is crap, but at least money is flowing towards you for the first time. Whether this helps you get a job or not, who can say. I know people who got jobs with 200hrs and some who didn't until they had 800hrs. Instructing isn't a magic bullet, but a lot of airlines do seem to class it as a positive.

daria-ox
9th May 2008, 17:12
I know that the ATPL exams cover the CPL & IR examinations, but to get my CPL I still have to fly the 25 hours and 55 hours for my IR?

I will try to get a job with 200 hours but I think that i will still do the FI course just in case it doesnt work out for me.

AlphaMale
9th May 2008, 21:17
I know that the ATPL exams cover the CPL & IR examinations, but to get my CPL I still have to fly the 25 hours and 55 hours for my IR?

Not quite :p

After passing your ATPL exams you can:

Take a 25hr CPL course followed by a 50hr IR.

or

Take the 55hr IR followed by a 15hr CPL course.

... Wish I had your money at 16 ;)

daria-ox
9th May 2008, 21:35
Ohh k :)

I actually thought that i had to do the 25h CPL and 55h IR :O
I guess doin the 55h IR and then 15h CPL is a better idea :cool:

AlphaMale
9th May 2008, 21:41
Each to their own.

B-F-C (not the only ones) like to do it 55hr IR then 15hr CPL, but most schools do CPL then IR.

BigGrecian
27th May 2008, 14:26
take a Flying Instructor Course and work as it for up to a year to build my hours

Don't do an isntructor course to "just build hours"!!!

Instruct because you want to instruct, not for any other reason.

There is nothing worse than an FI who is instructing with their primary purpose to build hours.

Mickey Kaye
27th May 2008, 15:01
I would recommend instructing to anyone. Its good fun and rewarding. As for the money well that will come later.

daria-ox
21st Jun 2008, 11:28
I've finally choosed my school. Tayside Aviation.
I visited them few days ago, I have asked about the flying instructor course, and one of the instructors said as it's a very good idea, and they could guarantee me a flying instructor job after all my training. So I'm happy about that. Finally I know what I'm going to do for the next 3/4 years :)

Nashers
21st Jun 2008, 12:56
the way it works id PPL, ATPL, hours building, CPL, ME, IR, MCC before an airline will realy look at you.

with doing an IR before the CPL yes would give you less hours and i know a few people who have done it that way. just make sure you do the IR in a multi engine aircraft as ive been informed there is a difference between an SEPIR and a MEIR (if anyone on here can explain please do!)

the IF course is a good way of building hours in your log book. just remember though you cant start your CPL till your 18 i think so you have plenty of time to decide how you want to get into the industry without rushing into anything.

good luck and have fun!

daria-ox
21st Jun 2008, 13:21
I know I have plenty of time. That's why I'm starting my training quite early. I will gain my PPL by the time I'm 17 and then I will build my hours, while doing ATPL so it will take some time and I will do my CPL by the time I'm 18. Then I'm thinking of doing the ME, IR and MCC and FI to build up hours. I think it's quite a good plan :p

corsair
21st Jun 2008, 15:26
they could guarantee me a flying instructor job after all my training.

In fact if there ever was a rating that guaranteed a job. It's the Instructor rating. If there is one pilot shortage, it's in Instructors.

But as someone pointed out. Don't do it just for hour building. That isn't fair to any students you come across. Do it because you will learn a lot and gain valuable experience while earning a few quid.

It's a good plan though. You have a good attitude, unlike a certain other teenager on another thread! :)

Sam-MAN
21st Jun 2008, 15:34
Hello.

Bit off topic but better than starting a new thread.

Roughly how much a year would you get for instructing in the UK?

I am asking because the only way I could do all my training (up to ATPL) would be to get a loan from the bank or get into CTC. I know the loan re-payments are about £1100 a month so I was wondering if FI pay would be enough to cover that?

Thanks

Sam

Nashers
21st Jun 2008, 15:46
im not an instructor but i have asked a few questions myself recently and what i found out was that apparently they put you in a retention then you get payed per hour you fly ontop. so for example if the retention is 600 pounds a month and you make 10 pounds per hour of flight:

in the summer flying 6 hours a day 5 days a week would be

600+ (120 hours a month x 10)= 1800 per month before tax.

in the winter though if you only end up flyin 5 hours a week ofcourse it will be a lot less.

different schools have different retentions and hourly pay so hopefully there are a few people around who will be able to give some exact figures...

PS: forgot to add ive been told the figures are different depending what your teaching. so IR instructors get more than ppl.

GgW
21st Jun 2008, 17:10
I know the loan re-payments are about £1100 a month so I was wondering if FI pay would be enough to cover that?

NO! it will not cover it, you will be lucky if you're average take home pay per month over 12 months will be that.

Sam-MAN
21st Jun 2008, 17:12
Thanks for the reply :ok:

Bugger... :ugh:

Becoming a pilot aint easy eh :} Anyone got £80k spare to lend me? :E

Sam