PDA

View Full Version : C210 Crash In Windhoek Eros

GULF69
9th May 2008, 12:10
Saw a C210 dip down into the industrial area at Eros earlier after taking off, followed by aiport sirens going off...

anyone know what happened?

dr27
9th May 2008, 12:29
Allegedly a Scenic Air (not so Scenic any longer) C-210; hit power lines shortly after take-off enforcing Namibia's reputation as a Centurion-cannibal

Alfred.E.Neuman
9th May 2008, 12:37
C210 had engine failure after take-off, (enroute to Mokuti Lodge) and landed on railway tracks opposite Pioneerspark cemetery. Minor injuries only. Info according to Radiowave 96.7

Avpsych
9th May 2008, 13:52
This is scary:uhoh: There is surely something wrong in Namibian aviation. I am starting to lose count of accidents lately in Namibia. Is it maintenance or pilots or what?:sad:

VortexGen300
9th May 2008, 14:14
At the time of writing I did not have the details - sorry for the wrong assumption based on the previous posts. My post would only be valid if it were an engine failure and the pax & pilot did walk away from the crash as was suggested - which it was not as is apparent from the info here and on other forums. Sorry

The following is therefore purely discussional:

This is scary:uhoh: There is surely something wrong in Namibian aviation. I am starting to lose count of accidents lately in Namibia. Is it maintenance or pilots or what?:sad:

My dear Avpsych

There is only one way to prevent aircraft accidents or even engine failures: Don't fly.:=

I seem to struggle to understand what you percieve as scary - the engine failure or the emergency landing? - Both are common - any student pilot will tell you the vital actions in the event of an engine failure is drilled and practiced - just for one reason that the pilot keep his cool and land the aircraft safely!:ok:

Any how - the best maintenance in the world has not managed to prevent engine failures - the rate at which they come in pistons is just alarmingly higher than those in turbines.

Congratulations to the pilot for getting the 210 on the ground - although the 210 might have suffered some damage - from the posts I understand they virtually walked away from the crash - and as my instructor said if the engine failed any landing you can walk away from is a good landing!

Stirred?
VG300

Phenom
9th May 2008, 14:25
Yeah, there have been a lot of occurrences lately. We definitely need to review our procedures. That specific accident was confirmed by Chief ATC just before their debrief with the press and other authorities late this morning. I am sure more facts will surface soon. Happy landings ladies and gents…

Avpsych
9th May 2008, 15:52
My dear VortexGen 300,

In my humble opinion,the fact that we are taught to deal with engine failures does not make it any less scary! I have been lucky thus far in not having experienced one.

My point is that it cannot just be coincidence that we have had so many problems over a short period of time in Namibia.
We need to have a good look at aviation in Namibia.

square-head
9th May 2008, 18:54
According to unconfirmed reports, the aircraft never gained height, let alone loosing height. It took 7/8 of runway 01 to get airborne, just missing the trees at the end off the runway. Heard that the luggage was taken away by the investigators to be weight, as it appears that the pax had more than their allowable 13 kgs of luggage.

planecrazi
9th May 2008, 20:51
The pilot was indeed fortunate. Well Done!

However, weighing the aircraft will not prevent an engine failure.
From what I remember flying C210's years ago, it was empty at 2200lbs, plus 6 pax (1020lbs) plus full fuel at 534 lbs, still left you 46 lbs for luggage and thats at 170 per pax. (3800 lbs max t/o). The much newer models had a 325 hp engine and took off at over 4000lbs. I saw one in Djibouti once on a ferry. I stand to be corrected,

It was indeed a work horse and a pleasure to fly.

Well done to the crew!

Voel
10th May 2008, 06:49
People hear, please note they don't say. It was not engine failure. The engine was running at full force when it hit the ground. Check the newspapers on Monday to see those pictures. www.republikein.com.na or www.namibian.com.na

mikolasik123
12th May 2008, 02:27
My sister-in-law was on board with her husband (two US citizens) She has suffered severe injury to her spine and was airlifted to johansberg for surgery. As of today, she's still not able to walk due to the injury sustained. Plane called may day right after take off, clipped trees and then into power lines and then into the tracks. Her husband pulled all survivors out of the plane that was leaking fuel.

Looking for pics or any other details related to this incident. Appreciate any additional information as we only have minimal details.

Thanks, and fly safe.

Ryan

Phenom
12th May 2008, 12:59
Quite right mikolasik123, that accident was quite serious. More stories and pictures in the New Era - http://www.newera.com.na/page.php?id=7046 and Die Republikein - http://www.republikein.com.na/images/Cessna-2103.jpg

mikolasik123
12th May 2008, 15:34
Thanks, Phenom. Appreciate the additional information. Looking at the photos of the a/c, it's a miracle they survived.

Appreciate any other info from others as well.

VortexGen300
12th May 2008, 16:18
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33671

VG300

Insane
13th May 2008, 07:27
Planecrazi, you right with calculations, but what was actual weight of occupants + luggage? May find that it is not quite simple as a weight and balance on paper.

Though the engine was running at high power, was it generating MAX power?

The pilot did a FANTASTIC job considering the circumstances he faced:ok:....but a lot of questions to be asked?:confused:

Wondering if he had a cut off point to abort the take off if he did not have the correct speed considering the length of the runway and using 7/8 of it?

BBN RADAR
13th May 2008, 17:50
Glad everyone is OK. A shame to see that aircraft gone as it had a new engine and was great to fly.

Hey Insane - Where did you get info on the pilot taking 7/8 of the runway? Someone in a previous post quoted that as unconfirmed... Not saying that you're incorrect, just that it's best to get the facts first BEFORE shooting.

Cheers

Voel
13th May 2008, 19:06
BBN radar, if you understand afrikaans, read todays Republikein. There you read (hear) it from the horse's mouth.

Insane
14th May 2008, 06:22
BBN RADAR... Just picked up on the post from SQUARE HEAD.

No disrespect to the pilot intended or the way he handled the situation. My respects to him.

There is always a lesson to learn from an incident like this and as an Instructor I am looking for the lessons so that I can pass them on to my students to try and make them safer!!

Malagant
14th May 2008, 20:14
Regarding VOEL`s comment, bit sarcastic, "if you can read afrikaans" as for the Republikein the horses mouth, rather the horses ass..how many of the pilots calculate the acc/stop/go distance on the 210 and 310`s that they fly there..or do you use a general marker that if you not starting to rotate at that point you abort..what about the bush strips you fly into and out of, do you calculate it there? I worked in Nam for a few years flying 210`s 310`s and one of the first Van`s that operated there and I know that while things go well nobody says a thing, but when something happens then everybody has a piece to say who do exactly the same..as for Mik, best wishes to your family that was on board and to everyone else that`s involved in the accident.

15th May 2008, 04:25
Malagant
Don't think it was meant sarcastically. There are many many readers on these forums who do not understand Afrikaans. I think Voel just wanted to save them the trouble of surfing past a website they wouldn't understand.....but I do agree with you about the horse's anatomy.

And I know that nobody calculates any distances. I certainly never did at Eros, and that was before they lengthened the runway. A person should actually have a look at the number of C210s that depart Eros and how they get loaded. If there is still space, more gets put on board, regardless of weight. Surprising that there are not more mishaps.

Malagant
15th May 2008, 15:02
Apologies to Voel, but it just came across that way..:uhoh:

You right about the load thing although I know that Sefo and Wings Over Africa won`t book an acft with more than a certain amount of pax and cargo and that the crew have to submit the W&B before the flight..Regarding a mention that is getting worse in Namibia with more crashes its not really the truth as its not much up or down if compared to the last few years as it included in accidents/incidents Caravans and the 1900 landing on the road, not just 210`s, but they are pistons and not all pilots operate them the same way, an inexperienced pilot might shock cool the engine unintentionally etc so the pistons take a hammering and is not as forgiving as a turbine and fact remains that the 210 will bite you if you don`t have your finger out!

Propellerpilot
16th May 2008, 19:25
Just heard rumour today, that the engine was fine - right fuelflows, right temperatures, manifold pressure and revs. Valves were not burnt, everything fine exept for possible shockloading from the crash.

Aircraft used to have a IO-520 but got a IO-550 built in recently. Latter engine definatly needs a richer mixture on TKOF - Speculation: maybe the pilot set FF for a 520 and therefor did not get the performance because it was too lean ?

Could be water in the fuel as well, had quite a bit in my fuel tester during that time, although fuel test at Eros after the incedent was proven ok.

So it is still an enigma...

vaninnam
18th May 2008, 08:10
When I flew that aircraft many years ago it had aux tanks.I cant remember how much extra fuel ,but you could not be 5 up plus baggage and extra fuel.

Bossies
18th May 2008, 18:21
Old LSO had the wingtip tanks that could take 45l a side, empty weight before the 550 she was about 2350lbs. She could take 1+4 (Std. weigts: male 205lbs, Female 165lbs, crew 190lbs) with 140lbs of baggage with enought fuel (260l) for eros-mokuti-eros legal. You must have 30l a side in the tips if your weight is over 3510lbs for the C/G. She also used to be good out of short fields with the extra bit of wing.

Voel
19th May 2008, 12:48
vaninam, was it the time you landed on the road := and taxied back to the airport, parking the aircraft opposite Safai Hotel, as the gates were to narrow? (Ha, ha,ha) :) :)

Turbo-driver
20th May 2008, 11:17
I remember that one.

Driving in my Citi Golf on the road towards the airport I saw opposite traffic....a 210:confused:! Already 6 years ago or so.

NoMore206Pilot
27th May 2008, 19:09
After speaking to the pilot in question, I was told that there was an abrubt powerloss after TO...
I've flown with the guy before, and he's not only a damn good pilot, but has a reputation as a safe one as well.
I've personally been asked to take on some of his cargo in the past when he was already under gross and did not "feel comfortable" with it... The man is not a risk taker by any means!
Best Wishes to D, and all the pax involved!