PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

ARENDIII
9th May 2008, 10:52
Good day all,
Anyone got any gen on how you are covered insurance wise when you are away on a tour in a "war zone" by your company.
Who gets what if you don't manage to get back home in one piece?

V1... Ooops
9th May 2008, 12:15
My experience has always been that the employer provides the insurance cover for the employee. Certain contractors specialize in providing aircraft for use in conflict areas and they are quite familiar with the process of insuring both the hull and the occupants (crew included) while they are in areas that require special 'war risk' cover.

Irene
9th May 2008, 12:44
The company I work for deducts around $50 to $80 per month that I am on tour in Afghanistan, covers for medical expenses and repatriation as well as payout to next of kin in the event of death. As far as I remember the arrangement is that the employer pays half and the employee pays half. It is an arrangement that works for the staff here. They have limitations on the policy, like if I went and attended a "Jihad Anonymous" meeting with the Taliban and got killed, I think there would be issues, but otherwise for normal emergencies I'm covered.

When I'm back in SA on my time off I have to take care of myself i.e. medical insurance in SA.