PDA

View Full Version : Africa has worst flight safety record in 2007

Ibhayi
8th May 2008, 23:33
Hey chaps, enjoy.

IT IS still six times less safe to fly in Africa than the rest of the world, the annual safety report released by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) today showed.
The report illustrated that the 2007 global accident rate of 0,75 hull-losses for every million flights by Western-built jet aircraft was slightly higher than the 0,65 rate recorded in 2006.
This was largely the result of accidents in Africa, Indonesia and to some extent Brazil.
Africa had the worst record at 4,09 hull-losses per million flights.
IATA describes a hull loss as an accident in which the aircraft is destroyed or substantially damaged beyond repair.
The number of global fatalities declined 19 percent from 855 to 692, even as passenger numbers increased by 6 percent to over 2,2 billion passengers in 2007.
There were 100 accidents in 2007 compared with 77 accidents in 2006.
However IATA said Air travel was the safest mode of transportation.
"In the ten years from 1998, the accident rate was reduced by almost half from 1,34 accidents per million flights to 0,75. And the number of fatalities dropped significantly in 2007," said Giovanni Bisignani, IATA’s Director General and CEO.

http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/topstories.aspx?ID=BD4A763027

dr27
9th May 2008, 07:15
Interesting but mainly academic. I suggest that the figures in respect commercial airline operations in SA are probably comparable to the rest of the world. For the rest of Africa, well refer to the report.

However, I wonder how SA's GA figures compares to worldwide figures. Any idea if these are available ? Seems there are a lot of fatal accidents...

Cheers:ok:

spacedaddy
10th May 2008, 20:12
OK lissen up!. IATA is trying to take over the aviation world and statements like African carriers are 4 or 6 or 8 times less safe are intended to assist its influence. For the past 25 years IATA african carriers have a safety record better than the world average. If you remove Angola and the DRC alone. Africa improves by a factor of 4, FOUR, QUATRO, CATRE. We know who we are so keep it up.
SD

12109BYLAS
11th May 2008, 15:12
An interesting point of view! But, maybe, IATA just want help Africa to join the aviation world?

south coast
11th May 2008, 16:01
Go back to space daddy...or roll another spliff, either way that's the biggest load of boll*cks I have ever heard!

Farmer 1
11th May 2008, 16:40
I'm not at all surprised. This particular airline flies at a ridiculous height!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/Robert47/giraffe.jpg

spacedaddy
12th May 2008, 05:31
SOUTH COAST
I see you are from the UK. You wouldn't happen to work for one of the European airlines that IATA really represents, would you. The ones that want RVSM for Africa in the name of safety and fuel savings? Fuel is an issue but RVSM in Africa is a very real detriment to safety.
I was in IATA for 14 years. I know all about them. IATA has pledged to reduce the world's airlines by two-thirds in an effort to get 10 to 15 % yearly profits for those that remain. This in keepling with the globals equivalents like steel, parmaceuticals, mining interests and the like.
Now I'm all for safety. In fact I was one of the leaders in bringing TCAS II. But IOSA is overly burdensome and RVSM is dangerous. I could go on but I'm interested in another pitiful reply from you. Bring it on Pal.

south coast
12th May 2008, 08:13
SD said, 'But IOSA is overly burdensome and RVSM is dangerous'

Spacedaddy has spoken and forgive me that I dont believe you over the people who have implemented, quite successfully, RVSM in Europe and the USA.

I am guessing they didnt agree with your statement above, and I must say, I dont read about planes crashing into eachother on a regular basis, so, RVSM is dangerous, dont think so.

Does it need well trained personel on either side of the radios-yes, does it require modern and well maintained aircrafts-yes, so I would agree, on those two points alone RVSM would not really work in Africa.

Pitiful, as you prefer, its just my opinion, but perhaps you would like to inform us of just exactly what your position was/is in 'bringing' TCAS II, to what or who.