PDA

View Full Version : Low-cost airlines safety and fear of flying

mrkmmix
8th May 2008, 16:13
Hello everybody,
This is my first post and let me tell you that (as a passenger) I've found a lot of interesting and useful info on these forums.
Like the title suggested I have great fear of flying. I absolutely hate flying and would avoid it whenever it is possible.
Few months ago, together with some friends, we have planned a trip to Germany to see a concert in Dortmund. Now, since I'm obsessed with safety I would have choose LH or BA but neither of those have direct flights from Bucharest to Dortmund - so we choose Wizair.
I know that Wizzair has a relatively young fleet (so they clame) of A320 and the maintenance is made by LH Technik and SAS but what concerns me are the pilots.
I mean no disrespect, but reading through this forums I've noticed that the payment for the pilots and flight crew is pretty small compared with BA for instance. And I know that you can not expect excellence without paying.
So my question is : should I be more afraid flying with a low cost airline like Wizz ? On average, are the pilots on these airlines less experienced ? I repeat, I don't want to offend anybody, I have great respect for the pilots and crew - this is why I post these questions here and not on Yahoo! Answers :)
Thank you in advance.
-M-

BRS_flyer
8th May 2008, 17:05
In a word: No! You should not be worried.

LH and BA as well as a number of other full fare carriers also take a number of low hours pilots from their approved schools. If you are so inclined you can spend hours on here debating the pros and cons of different training methods and airline policies but all airlines must follow the same set of rules and all crew are trained to a very high standard, regardless of pay and conditons.

Happy flying

easy1
8th May 2008, 17:06
Lowcost airlines in europe are just as safe if not more so than 'proper' airlines. We have to be one step ahead of the likes of BA, LH etc. People think that loco's are not as safe as other airlines. All aircraft flying into/out of and over the uk must be kept in excellent flying condition. As for the crew, nothing to worry about there. The are as highly trainned if not more so than BA, LH etc. ( may not be as polite, but thats because we have to put up with :mad: who want something for nothing!)

mrkmmix
8th May 2008, 18:05
Thank you for your replies :) I was thinking about canceling my flight :D.
That is what was afraid of actually - people wanting best services for low cost. I'm an engineer myself and I know this is not possible.
When I fly I want that everybody from the technical personnel to the flight crew to be happy with their income, with the company, with what they are doing in general and I am willing to pay for that.
It's just that about 70-80% of the accidents are because of human error and the diferrence between the pilots is seen in a crysis situation. Pff..My flight is in a few hours and I see is raining right now - that's not good :(

groundhand
9th May 2008, 08:38
Mrkmmix

"When I fly I want that everybody from the technical personnel to the flight crew to be happy with their income, with the company, with what they are doing in general and I am willing to pay for that."

...and you mention BA as one you would fly with?!

Fear not the lo-cos. They are just more efficient in their operations.
GH