PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Cadets/cadetships???

MajorLemond
8th May 2008, 09:20
Hey guys, I`m really interested to know what people think about entering the industry as a cadet. I know that there are several options available in Australia and maybe more in the future, and i`ve read in some places that it`s a bad idea, and you won`t get the right sort of experience... There also seems to be a general negativity surrounding cadetships how do the guys and girls at QF do?. I know they can eventually become captains though after many years, even the CP used to be a cadet...

Just curious and after some honest opinions, from ppl in the know

Qanchor
8th May 2008, 21:26
Major
If you can score a cadet slot take it and good luck to you. Don't worry about the negative attitude towards cadets in the rat. It's not the new generation cadets that give cadets a bad name.

bushy
9th May 2008, 00:46
A smart airline wannabie will arrange some connection with an airline, and airline assessment asap, and before he spends lots of time and money on training.
A cadetship will probably achieve this.
There are hundreds of pilots who are still not airline pilots despite having qualifications and experience that they got without any connection to an airline.

tinpis
9th May 2008, 00:49
A smart airline wannabie will arrange some connection with an airline, and airline assessment asap

Absolutely vital
A terribly inward looking industry in OZ and not everyones cup of tea.

flyhigh744
9th May 2008, 04:04
I was in the Qantas Cadet Program different to what it is now where they have they offer a course in conjunction Swinburne. I did the course which trained the cadet from scratch to atpl theory which now seems to have been scrapped from the program. I Had to pay about 89k in total which my parents happily paid and was offered a position as a SO in Qantas. I'm in my final year as a SO so I'll be a FO as of early next year.

If you get offered a placement, then I would have no doubt in advising you to accept. Its a wonderful experience, although as I look back, I'm sure GA would have been an incredible experience in itself.

I personally think it was a great way of transitioning to the airlines. I had a couple of lessons before I was accepted and after a quick look on the Qantas site, I applied and received confirmation a few weeks later after initial testing.

Despite what people say about cadetships, if I had a chance to do it all again, I'd go ahead with the cadet course.

Hope that helps
flyhigh744

Qanchor
9th May 2008, 04:21
Major
Don't pay attention to bin or muff. On the other hand, Bushy & Tinpis offer good advice. Sure, the industry isn't what it used to be on lots of levels, but success comes to those who are able to adapt to new conditions, environments & opportunities.
Like I said, go for it and good luck.

Bin & Muff, for your info I was 10 years in GA including a few years of dodging rocks in "ples no gut" before getting a guernsey, I don't regret a moment of it and I certainly don't begrudge anyone's success in getting an airline job via a different career path.