PDA

View Full Version : MAS route to Europe?

snowmanfx
16th Nov 2000, 12:50
I hv flown to Europe (LHR/AMS/FRA) from KUL/SIN using SQ, LH, KL and MH a few times. I find MH instead of using great circle route, prefer to use the longer southerly route over the Middle East. Hope someone from MAS can shed some lights, thanks.

Marcellus Wallace
20th Nov 2000, 07:43
I believe it depends on the type of aircraft being used on the sector. If the aircraft is a B777 then the southerly route is preferred as the northerly route involves terrain and the oxygen supply for pax are chemical generators(heat is a bye product) which last for a fixed time.
As opposed if the B747 flew the route where both the crew and pax oxygen supply are from cylinders/bottles which can be shutoff if not required. The terrain is a factor in case of depressurization, the B777's have to descend to 10'000 in a fixed time i.e. distance. B747's can descend to minimum off route altitude which could be higher than 10000' or 14000' then fly level and then descend to 10000' when clear of terrain as the amount of oxygen which is supplied from the gaseous bottle can last longer.

Or maybe it's just a clear case of the airline not having enough study or data of the best routes?!

kurmitola
20th Nov 2000, 18:29
I think both of you guys better start brushing the dusts off your "Met" book(s). Other airlines fly their 777 and other types across the Northern route as well.... Or maybe when they fly the mountains there decided to become hills for a while..

Marcellus Wallace
22nd Nov 2000, 08:17
kurmitola...won't you enlighten us on the knowledge you have. I was just offering my two cents worth, which probably isn't much in your realm.

Cheers.

PILOST
22nd Nov 2000, 14:19
Marcellus Wallace is right on the dot there.To add on to his excellent explaination,the northern routing involves merging asian-europe traffic over India.The tussle for levels are greater & sometimes ATC's poses an uneconomical propositon eg, lower levels or holding or non econ speeds.So MH spreads their departures to the north (744) & south (772).

Safe Flying.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

PILOST

[This message has been edited by PILOST (edited 22 November 2000).]