PDA

View Full Version : The Real A310 Contract

sia sniffer
20th Jul 2000, 07:50
As a former A310 pilot for Singapore Airlines,I can vouch for the following:

1)As an expat,they will send you on leave soon after you have started the ground school, claiming lack of sim space.You will of course only earn basic training salary, which dont go far in Singapore.

2) In Flight, SIA claim overnight expenses of around S$1200.Don't be fooled, around S$400 will be more resonable.Minimum rest is the usual duration in JKT,BKK, which is all that is really left on the 310.

3) The A310 is the main command fleet for S/FO upgrades.You as an expat will suffer with a multi-sector KL-PEN, when the command trainee gets the money earning sector (overnight).Subsequently, you will receive a worse roster than the local guy, because SIA hate the fact that they have white men Capts working for them,who are of generally lower quality guys esp on the A310 (I've flown with enough of them).Lets face it, you dont join SQ for the money, just desire to get a fat rating.

3) You will fly around 60 hours/month, As an expat you will get 6 weeks leave (generally when those in charge allow you to go on leave)For the whole 6 weeks, you will receive basic salary.

4)Housing, education is all taxed, you will be paying around 22-25%.Housing in Singapore for an expat will be $4000, you therefore will be paying 20% yourself, around $800++

5) Really think very long and hard before joining, they are an insidious and nasty outfit, your non compliance with there racist attitudes will just make your life miserable.They will punish you through the roster, or through leave you dont want, giving you 2 weeks of standby (with no trips=no money).Standby can run 21 hours for 5 days without a break.local terms suck, they have you under their pro chinese, anti everybody else for as long as you are there.Beware....

joblessflyer
20th Jul 2000, 15:55
Correct me if I am wrong,SQ prefers expats over locals.And if I am not mistaken the "local f/o or s/o" you've flown with would either be a Malaysian or an ex-Malaysian,at least 80% of them are,I am quite sure.The real local Singaporean SQ wannabe (experience or not)are left outside its door.As quoted by Mr L C Yong:"the local Singaporean guys are not good enough!"

Well,what can they say.................?

MASystem
20th Jul 2000, 16:24
L C Yong really said that? Hmmm....

Does he mean that Sing pilots aren't matured enough?

If that's the case, no wonder SIA's minimum age requirement for Sings is 26 !

QNH1013
22nd Jul 2000, 07:01
SIA's later age requirement for Singaporeans caters for the guys to finish their higher education if they chose to do it and to cater for National Service time wich all males have to do.

Generally for others ie Malaysians, age is clearly stated preferably in early 20's.

joblessflyer
22nd Jul 2000, 09:40
QNH1013

U're quite right on this that's why sometimes you come across a 35 year-old new Singaporean S/O adressing a 28 year-old Malaysian A310 Captain as 'Sir!'

Macro
22nd Jul 2000, 11:20
It is obvious why singapore citizens stand a lesser chance, or shud I say, almost nil. Being so that their reserve national service gets in the way of the bid skeds..... too problematic!

If u r a citizen there, u r a minority, just to cover them that they hv equal opportunities crap.