PDA

View Full Version : Qantas try to pull a fast one...

denis555
7th May 2008, 15:33
We all know of actors who pretend to be younger than they are.

Now we have airlines doing the opposite.

In its latest ads Qantas say that ‘no other airline has been established for so long’ making them the ‘worlds most experienced airline’ .

( Notice they don’t say ‘world’s oldest airline’ since anything termed ‘old’ has a negative connotation in TV ad-land)

….. erm hang on a minute.

Qantas – established November 1920

KLM – established October 1919

chiglet
7th May 2008, 16:14
1939-1945...Holland invaded [WW11]. KLM ceased trading [in Europe at least], ergo QANTAS Longest[continually] serving airline...perhaps
watp,iktch

Dream Land
7th May 2008, 16:45
Yes they are now claiming to be the worlds most experienced airline.

virgo
7th May 2008, 18:53
While waiting for my Grumman Albatross flight from Miami to the Cayman Islands several years ago, I read a notice a pinned on the wall of the hut they called a "Terminal" stating that;

Chalks Airline was the "Worlds Oldest International Airline" , having started the International route of Miami to Bimini (Which at the time was a British Colony) in February 1919.

This would make it senior to both Qantas and KLM.

Dunno if it's true, just telling you what it said !

parabellum
7th May 2008, 22:38
Just one look at the very limited route structure of QANTAS will show that they can't possibly be the world's most experienced airline across the board. Arriving and departing Sydney maybe but that would be about it!;)

Groundloop
8th May 2008, 08:11
I always thought that during the German invasion of the Netherlands a number of KLM aircraft were flown to the UK and continued operating throughout the war from Bristol in association with BOAC.

denis555
8th May 2008, 09:50
Yes I thought that they operated a London - Lisbon service during WW2???

S'land
8th May 2008, 10:28
There has already been an "oldest continuous airline" thread covering Quantas, KLM and Chalks in the D&G General Aviation & Questions forum.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=324574&highlight=oldest+airline

denis555
8th May 2008, 12:17
You are right S'land - I did not spot it -

Phileas Fogg
8th May 2008, 12:33
There's another 'institution' around that claims to be the world's favourite airline, such an outrageous and false declaration surely leaves the flood gates open for others to follow suit!

denis555
8th May 2008, 12:51
S'true - this institution claim that ( and I quote)...

******* ******* is the UK's largest international scheduled airline, flying to over 550 destinations at convenient times, to the best located airports.

Largest? Most Popular? talk about stretching the facts, it seems hard to justify 'Largest' , however you measure it.

parabellum
8th May 2008, 12:59
Well, it is possible they measure themselves on their Pax Revenue Kilometres flown per year. With a large shorthaul fleet mixed with a large long haul fleet they probably notch up quite a few. RPKs flown is the yardstick by which underwriters calculate an airlines pax liability premium.

The SSK
8th May 2008, 12:59
The previous 'World's most experienced airline' came to an abrupt end, in very unfortunate circumstances.

denis555
8th May 2008, 13:49
RPKs flown - good point and one I didn't even consider ( thinking about fleet size, destinations and number of passengers carried overall...) thanks for that ;)