PDA

View Full Version : AVIATION JOBS in MALAYSIA and SINGAPORE?

BorneoPilot
11th Nov 2000, 08:07
I`m a Malaysian currently doing my flight training in Canada. Anyone know of any opportunities in the Aviation industries in Malaysia and Singapore? I`m thinking of coming home, but need to find leads to employment there first.

Will be getting my MULTI IR and CPL
plus Float rating in 6 months.

Thanks.

tallyho92
14th Nov 2000, 09:17
As a matter of interest BorneoPilot where
in Canada are you doing your flight
training.
The aviation market for pilots in Malaysia is SLOWLY getting better, its certainly more optismistic than even a year ago,but be prepared for a right royal pain to convert your licence to the Malaysian CPL/IR, normaly DCA will ask you to sit the CAA navigation & tech papers including performance A and of course airlaw.

Good Luck

BorneoPilot
15th Nov 2000, 10:37
I`m doing my training in British Columbia.
A question about converting licenses and
the job market. whom do I speak with concerning converting and who is hiring?

thanks again!

FlyingCrew
15th Nov 2000, 17:02
BP,
speak to Enc.Syed Zanial of M'sian DCA he the director.as for hiring,hmmmmmmm.......
good luck,cheers!

BorneoPilot
15th Nov 2000, 21:20
Anyone has DCA`s email add or webpage add?
or maybe an address?

FlyingCrew
16th Nov 2000, 04:18
the main tel line is +603-253 9600. ask for a transfer.

BorneoPilot
17th Nov 2000, 08:12
Many thanks to all that helped!
contacted DCA and Melaka Flying Club.
and the ball is rolling. hope not much red tape ahead.
=)

anyways, who are the airline or charter operators in Malaysia?
anyone knows?

tallyho92
17th Nov 2000, 20:35
Well done BorneoPilot, you at least got
the ball rolling, however you got to
factor in at least 1 year from the start
of your conversion to time of issue
realistically, this includes navigation
and tech classes and of course resits.

Try not to be dismayed by how slow the
process is and concentrate on the CAA
exams, whatever you may have learned in
Canada, put it aside, as the CAA exams
are somewhat unique as all those who
have successfully completed it can happily
testified.

Oh one other thing, there is always a lot
of red tape with DCA, keep everything they
send you, incase they have a change of
mind for whatever reason.

Anyway good luck

[This message has been edited by tallyho92 (edited 17 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by tallyho92 (edited 17 November 2000).]

BorneoPilot
22nd Nov 2000, 04:52
Twin otter operators or float operators in Malaysia??

QNH1013
22nd Nov 2000, 08:41
MAS Twin Otters based in Miri Sarawak. Don't know about float planes here.

BorneoPilot
10th Dec 2000, 11:09
How do a Canadian CPL, Multi-IR, Float-rated
250TT Malaysian pilot get a job flying in Malaysia?? Any help or tips will be much appreciated!

Terima Kasih!

Skin
11th Dec 2000, 20:37
Borneo Pilot....why don't u just apply direct to MAS. I believe MAS recently put in an ad in all the local daily newspapers asking for cadet pilots. With your licence you might be able to get in straight onto the Twin Otters as an FO in Miri. Good luck dude.

novice
12th Dec 2000, 02:55
Borneo Pilot,

With the current worldwide shortage of pilots, why on earth are you choosing Malaysia or Singapore to do your flying at?

If you are a Canadian, then I believe that there are a lot of other veritable options available to you namely in Canada itself, USA, or even Australia or other western countries with better standards of living and flying regulations and of course pay!

Then again if you're Malaysian and wanting to come back home, then there's no better time to. MAS is very very short of pilots and had taken in many privately funded ATPL holders recently. Pay is relatively okay if you're living here but for regional & long haul pilots the income sucks, especially when you compare it to what others in the region get. Working conditions are not that crash either.

Not everything is bad and it really depends on what you're looking for. Promotion is among the fastest in the world with 0-captaincy in 5-6 years if you're lucky. A year and a bit on the B737 then off you go to the heavies: A330 or B777. Then with those ratings and you're only like 30-32 years or maybe even younger, off you go to other airlines that certainly can pay you the big bucks!!!!!

Some of the hosties are great and quite unbelievable too!!!!!

novice
12th Dec 2000, 03:02
Borneo Pilot,

I had obviously missed reading your first posting. A thousand apologies!!!!!

PILOST
12th Dec 2000, 07:09
Novice,please don't mislead our good friend Borneopilot.The young commanders were promoted because of a few factors.

1)Rapid expansion of MAS in the early 90's.
2)No intake of pilots in the mid 80's.
3)The exodus of senior pilots to other lucrative paying airlines.

Thus what should be a 10-15 years progression to command becomes much more accelerated.This unique circumstances will not mean a thing if MAS restuctures as what the papers are saying.

Admittedly though,presently there is a catastrophic shortage of co-pilots on all fleet.The fleet rationalization would solve the acute shortage.So if there's no restucturing then Borneopilot you'll be most welcome here in MAS,just don't expect much as promotions are drying up.

Safe Flying All,
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif
PILOST

novice
12th Dec 2000, 14:46
Are you heading somewhere else Pilost? In my experience what Old Ace and you said so far have a lot of truth in them. I am not sure of the conspiracy part of the taliban's movement tho' but looking at things with my eyes wide shut, the theory has some merits. I am considering my options, and maybe heading north..see how it goes. I feel that I have come to the top of my career here and won't get too far with the negotiation skills of our association with the ever changing management team, soon owner. Thank god that TR thing is getting kicked out soon.

Anyway, I still reckon it is a good time for Borneo pilot to come back and get a job here, because we are short of co-pilots...and commanders of course, that is before the restructuring is done. Borneo man , get your application to MAS ASAP or just come back home, visit the office and talk to a few guys. I think it is worthwhile for you to really find out for yourself and maybe convert your license and get the ATPL over and done with. I would probably forget the Float endorsement as MAS hasn't got much use for it.

BorneoPilot
13th Dec 2000, 13:29
Contacts for MAS anyone?
also...what are the eye-sight requirements, height, education...etc..
any MAS pilots here that can tell me that will be much appreciated (again!)

A big Terima Kasih to all that responded to my previous questions. Virtual Teh Tarik for all!

Gnote
13th Dec 2000, 21:03
Hey Borneo Pilot, I posted something that will be of interest to you. It is located in the Canada section of this forum.
Check out avcan.hypermart.net

[This message has been edited by Gnote (edited 16 December 2000).]

Dirk
18th Dec 2000, 00:12
Are non-locals welcome to apply for jobs in Malaysia or elsewhere in SE Asia ?

I hold a UK passport, and South African CPL.
Starting my first job in January, here in Africa, but would be keen to know if the Far East is an option for the future.

Thanks for any replies
Dirk

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
18th Dec 2000, 06:38
Borneo Pilot,

I posted most of the info in Melaka Flying Acadamy page 1 of the thread hope it helps you.