PDA

View Full Version : aer lingus diverted flight

heidelberg
7th May 2008, 06:43
EI 120 ex Orlando/MCO 6th May diverted to Boston and will be 3 hours late arriving DUB.
WHY anyone?
So happens I'm getting the EI 121 to MCO to-day - hopefully with an
ETD of 1155?

apaddyinuk
7th May 2008, 13:29
It was a medical emergency, mate of mine was a Senior on it and he texted me when they landed in BOS!

heidelberg
8th May 2008, 10:21
Thanks Paddy - hope the person involved in medical emergency is ok.

Anyway my flight to MCO arrived nearly 30 mins early. Elapsed flight time 8 hours 5 mins.
Only 78 PAX on what was the first Wednesday schedule flight.
Hope the load factor improves.

As ususal we had to go through the full monty TSA security check on arrival.
Why oh why does Aer Lingus not use stands similar to those used by BA and Virgin whereby the arriving PAX do NOT have to go through this TSA security check fiasco?

And please do not give me the excuse it makes it easier for EI ops to use the present stand leading to a quicker turnaround. They already have built in 3 plus hours for the turnaround.

apaddyinuk
8th May 2008, 23:07
Heidelberg,

Unless they have changed the Satellite that BA and VS use the passengers do need to go through security again after Immigration. I have not been through MCO in over 2 years but last time I was we had to go through it. Now I admit I am usually operating as the crew (ba) so we were always smuggled out through a back door straight onto our crew bus but the few times I did do it as a passenger it was the same rigmarole as EI as you are entering a common boarding area before boarding the train to the main terminal and the TSA have no faith in other airports security procedures!

heidelberg
9th May 2008, 01:05
'paddy'
I used BA from LGW to MCO in 2006 and 2007 and had no security check on arrival.
I queried the present situation re EI PAX having to clear security with an MCO official and his reply included the following -
'Unfortunately due to the major construction project taking place on Airside 1 (Gates 1-29), we are currently unable to provide for the sterile transfer of international passengers to the Main Terminal which previously avoided the requirement for a security check for international arrivals. We hope to resume this ability and return to the former level of customer service as soon as construction allows. At that time, you will also see major improvements to Airside 1, much more inline with what you are familiar with on Airside 4 (Gates 60-99)'.
EI use Airside 1 gates; BA and Virgin use Airside 4 gates.
So it looks like EI PAX will have another 12 months or so putting up with the TSA on arrival at MCO.
Incidentally the TSA have agreed to let in sealed duty free purchases and not confiscating all that lovely Baileys, Paddy etc! Nice of them eh?