PDA

View Full Version : Eagle interviewing students...

Sqwark2000
7th May 2008, 04:12
Heard yesterday that Eagle Air has recently interviewed 2 CTC students with 180TT who have not yet got instrument ratings.... wow! :ooh:

42below
7th May 2008, 05:09
Why would they bother? with an instument rating they could be in the right seat of a 73 or bus in Europe..

Good luck Eagle.. your time has come.

Corkey McFuz
7th May 2008, 05:21

haha yip :ouch:

Anyone heard anything about Air NZ looking at taking (or maybe already have) cadets of some sort from Massey... ???

c100driver
7th May 2008, 05:26
Nothing happening yet and if it does it will not be Massey but possibly CTC.

Jackaroo 2
7th May 2008, 17:30
Whats wrong with interviewing 180hr pilots for B1900 F/O positions?

7yrs ago I flew 737's in Europe with 250hr TT F/Os doing Cat 2 approaches.

The problem with Avn in NZ is the 'GRAND OLD MASTER' attitude. ie. NZ is a VERY demanding place to fly in/go and do a 1000hr multi time, then come back and we MIGHT consider to interview you for a SAAB 340 F/O posn. etc etc etc etc etc. Heard it all before.

Gents, (and ladies), take it from me, - pack your bag, get over to Europe, bite the bullet, sit those JAA Exams and get the green JAA frozen ATPL. Then YOU WILL have the CHOICE - A320 or B737NG ? -UUUHHHHHMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Me thinks and from my experience the Europe route is a lot faster into the LEFT seat of an A320 or B737. I did it in 4yrs.

You all hav a nice day now in La La (or is it Baa Baa) Land.

:ok::ok:

Rawrawhammer
7th May 2008, 18:15
"Gents, (and ladies), take it from me, - pack your bag, get over to Europe, bite the bullet, sit those JAA Exams and get the green JAA frozen ATPL."

Is that rite?..what about a EU passport?apparently 1 in a million chance without a EU citizenship, considering you're competing against a majority of citizens.

I'd personally love to sit the JAA's after a couple of years GA in Oz and head up to the EU but the chance of gettin any work with an aussie passport seems a notch to slim for me.

haughtney1
7th May 2008, 19:13
13th September 2007, 22:37
When will you guys ever listen?

They will be taking a majority of their newbies straight off CTC..not all..but the majority.

P.S. Don't shoot the messenger

How many times do you guys need to be told?

Luke SkyToddler
7th May 2008, 19:59
Steady on there haughtney

Just because you've been predicting it since forever and this rumour's reared its ugly head again on pprune for about the 10000000th time in the last few years, the facts are - exactly the same as this time last year when you were telling us all it was so imminent - there is still not one single person alive on the face of the planet at this moment who's walked straight out of any flying school and into a koru branded aircraft.

Someone posting on pprune, who allegedly heard something about eagle interviewing a couple of guys, does not mean anything has happened and so what even if it did? I don't believe a damn thing in this industry and I sure as hell wouldn't be recommending kids to go spend their money at particular flying schools, until we have seen documented evidence of people with employment contracts with said airline, hours in the logbook and the money is in the bank.

At most even if it ever did happen, it might be a mechanism for a couple of the senior eagle drivers or other well-connected individuals to get their sons and daughters to bypass the normal machinations of required experience. Hell will freeze over before normal kids who haven't either got very good connections or a dump truck full of money, can get into those kind of jobs straight out of school.

haughtney1
7th May 2008, 21:27
Luke, I'm not about to debate with you the accuracy of my info..I know what I know:ok: (sounding like Donald Rumsfield)

Hows the desert treating you?

komac2
7th May 2008, 21:38
haha yip :ouch:

Anyone heard anything about Air NZ looking at taking (or maybe already have) cadets of some sort from Massey... ???

Why would they bother? with an instument rating they could be in the right seat of a 73 or bus in Europe..

Look here: http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/1535552
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1535590

Hamilton pilot training taking off
Jan 7, 2008 1:31 PM
A Hamilton flying school is set to triple its recruits to help fill a world-wide shortage of pilots.
CTC Aviation Training School has already got a good track record for training British cadets and now it plans to increase its New Zealand trainee numbers up from 30 to 100 within the next year.
The Hamilton training ground is a big hit with UK cadets who can get their training more cheaply than back home. In just eight months Englishman Kevin Wainscott is destined to be scooped up by a major European airline - just like his 130 predecessors.
" CTCitself is renowned for being one of the best training facilities in the world so it's fantastic for us to come over here," says Wainscott.
Trainees spend three to four hours a week up in the air and within just 18 months they can be in the right hand seat of a 737.
The school now plans to use its solid international reputation to train more New Zealanders to help fill the pilot shortage.
Chief operating officer Ian Calvert believes Air New Zealand is in exactly the same boat as other airlines around the world.
"Because of the retirement of ex-military pilots from the Vietnam era onwards and the expanse of airlines around the world, particularly the low cost airlines," Calvert says.
CTC wants to get major players like Air NZ on board so kiwi graduates have top jobs to move into.
The school hopes the airlines will see the benefits of working together with the training facility.
And it's not just airlines that will benefit, the work in keeping the facility in Hamilton already injects millions into the local economy - a trend that will only increase as the school takes off.

CTC CPP Prospective:
The CTC Wings CPP takes people with no flying experience through a flight training programme that could put you in the right-hand seat of an airliner in 18 months.

and Haughtney1 and a few others have already said it on pprune before-but a lot of people have a problem with believing him.

27/09
7th May 2008, 21:54
Jackaroo 2

7yrs ago I flew 737's in Europe with 250hr TT F/Os doing Cat 2 approaches.

I know a few pilots who have done the same and they say it was hard work with these 250 hour wonders and they left for places that employed more experienced FO's.

I would also suggest that a coupled Cat 2 ILS approach is a doddle compared to a circling NDB approach at night in pissing rain and gusty conditions at the the end of a six sector day.

FullySickBro
7th May 2008, 23:54
27/09,

I think you should take into consideration Jackaroos tender age of 17 and the fact he's been doing it for 7 years... Europe needs to take a good look at its child labour laws me thinks... :E

In all seriousness, the price tag of attaining a JAR licence (on top of an already steep NZCPL cost) plus immigration hurdles plus family commitments etc etc etc may make your suggestion a little easier said than done Jackaroo...

What's time to command at Eagle at the moment??

mattyj
8th May 2008, 02:21
Oh dear, old WT must be grinding his teeth down to stumps, having to "waste" his time interviewing raw recruits. Surely he'll resign before he lets such a catastrophy befall his beloved airline!! :hmm::hmm:

..still, thats better than giving his current crop a decent salary..

27/09
8th May 2008, 02:58
What's time to command at Eagle at the moment??

From what I hear barely long enough with someone with 1000 hours to get the 1500 required to hold an ATPL let alone for someone with much less time than that.

Interviewing someone with 180 hours might be one thing but having enough FO's with the requirements for an ATPL might be another me thinks, that is, if these people were to be employed.

In the present climate I don't think there is much chance that many of these low hour pilots will be employed by the likes of Eagle despite what others on here may say.

SkySurfin
8th May 2008, 07:49
27/09 you nailed it on the head. Eagle have got enough problems at the moment trying to get qualified FOs for commands without taking 180 hour pilots. They may take a few top dogs, but that will be all. Otherwise they are going to run into big probs next year when it comes to upgrade time and the guys running round with only 1000 hoursTT.

That article saying AirNZ has a shortage is a crock of poop. The airline industry is screaming for guys, yet AirNZ is barely recruiting..... maybe another 2or3 rounds this year, and even thats on the high side. Things might move a bit for the next 3-4years, but never enough for AirNZ to overlook the guys that are groomed from the link parties and take min comms or cadets.

fly345
18th May 2008, 08:47
Hell has frozen over lukeskytoddler! Two Kiwi CTC trained cadets have got jobs with Eagle with 180TT. Good for them!

FACT - One is my 19 year old nephew and will be the youngest pilot in the Koru group. He has NO connections with the company, NO truck loads of money and was a normal kid straight out of school when he started at CTC .
He met Eagles current entry criteria and got offered a job. End of story.

Times are changing from when you and I started, from what I observed during a flight he took me on his level of training from CTC was excellent. His professional attitude, level of skill and airmanship was very high for a young guy of minimal experience.

Sure he has a lot to learn but after 27 years in the industry I'm still discovering.

Your comments sound like sour grapes with hint of jealousy.:D

NoseGear
18th May 2008, 09:03
I have to say, I am very surprised at this move by Eagle. Can Fly345 confirm what contract his nephew is on? That may be very interesting........:hmm:

Regardless of the character of the 2 CTC cadets, what has ever been wrong with the boys and girls from GBA, Mountain Air, Sunair et al? I am absolutely certain there will be alot of pilots there with little puffs of smoke out each ear hole, and with good reason.:ouch: As another point, was it not a 1000hour requirement at Eagle for insurance purposes as well?

I suppose propaganda will be happy, afterall, these CTC cadets won't have any of those pesky bad habits to get rid of.:suspect::E

Oh yes, standing by for Haughtneys gloat!!::p:}
Nosey

42below
18th May 2008, 10:26
Good on him.. as I said earlier people are flying jets in europe with a little more time.

Lets face it, you don't need thousands of hours to sit in the right seat of a B1900..

Cypher
18th May 2008, 13:28
When you consider that half of Eagle and the other half of Air Nelson are all at Alteon, Brisbane doing their B737 NG ratings, I wouldn't be surprised EAG and Air NSN taking on people that normally might not be considered...

Luke's comments were observation that was well known throughout the industry. Hardly sour grapes and jealousy.
Luke is quite right in saying that no-one should spend their money with xyz flying school to get a job flying with the Koru straight out school until there is documented proof.

I didn't know CTC had a space shuttle simulator...

SkySurfin
19th May 2008, 00:08
I dont really see what the big deal is either. The 1900 is a very easy light twin to fly and is flown single pilot in many countries around the world. I do however think that if they are going to take 200 hour pilots they should at least hurry up and get a sim and secondly get a bl**dy autopilot. Both of which are unlikely to happen. They are bigger safety issues I believe, provided there is experience in the left seat.

nike
19th May 2008, 01:31
Even after the nephew story, I'm still not completely convinced - and no sour grapes nor jealousy here - that this is now the new norm.

Kinda sounds like a pilot scheme (no pun) as, as was mentioned, there would appear to be other recruitment options still about.

SkySurfin....

Completely agree with the need for an autopilot.

Not saying it needs to be used from take-off to touch down in a horsefloat, but is def nice to have if things get busy.

slackie
29th Jul 2008, 08:20
Heard today that the 2 CTC students are now on their sim courses in Canada and that Eagle had signed some sort of "pilot supply" agreement with CTC last week...completely unsubstantiated of course...but came from a current CTC student visiting the tower today.

flightless_bird
29th Jul 2008, 12:42
I think the two students on the NZ version of the CTC course going straight from training into Eagle Air is currently going to be the exception rather than the norm. I know that CTC are working hard with Air NZ to try and get some sort of arrangement going though so this may well be some sort of pilot scheme (sorry, no pun intended) or trial run as it were but I don't think that all NZ cadets from CTC are going to go straight into Eagle. My understanding is that the two cadets going to Eagle are the first two cadets through the NZ scheme.

One rumour I have heard (and it is just rumour) is that cadets will do their training with CTC, spend a while instructing (with CTC) once they've finished, and then move on to Eagle. I think this is a much better idea than sending cadets straight to Eagle as it gives them more experience and also gives CTC a constant supply of instructors.

What ever happens though, you've got to admit it is good publicity for CTC (since they've now placed 100% of their NZ cadets who have finished - all two of them - directly with the airlines) and also it is potentially good for future pilots as it provides a little more surety in their career path. (I guess what I am trying to say is that it is interesting looking at the differences in the aviation industry and how to make your way into it in NZ compared to Europe.)

always inverted
29th Jul 2008, 21:09
No you dont and by the sound of it the 1900 is not a bad a/c to fly but when you take a little baby with 200 hrs and put them in the rhs the holes in the cheese model start to line up almost immediately. Have you heard of the cfit risk assessment ? Two thoughts, cat b app at night to minima, circ into terrain ie WRE (shortest airport in the air nz network), raining with a 25 kt xwind, no autopilot PLUS a 200 hr f/o.
Then lob in an engine failure or such...:{

Sure they do it in 737's etc in europe but they basicly only have to monitor them if they are flying the app, which would be done on the a/p anyway so really no comparison eh??:rolleyes:

Plus the peope at Eagle (captains) dont get paid enough to do that shyt, and they are not all taining captains.
You must remember too that Eagle would have to change their training to suit the newbes as the current program would have them in crying after a few days or so. Plus they still have to pass the check to line, which even 1000+ hr guys are having trouble with, or is that them being a bit unrealistic ?

Anyhow,I think it would be slightly easier in the q-300 than the 1900 due to the time available to manage them with the a/p on, also the captains are maybe of higher time.:oh:

mattyj
29th Jul 2008, 21:10
I was in the Eag maintenance base the other day and the Gingerbeers said they had to take one Beech out of the system every day for dedicated training and at the height of the hiring boom, they really needed two...they couldn't get the overnight Aircraft for the schedualed maintenance because it was needed to do pilot checks.

Is it not time to get a Sim? Wouldn't Eagle have made their money back ten times by now if they had one from the start?

Always Inverted..that sounds like the METAR for Whangarei last night! Still enjoying the far north?

Steve Zissou
29th Jul 2008, 21:39
They could use Vincent's 1900 ....