PDA

View Full Version : LA TIMES Article Re Outsourced Maintenance

ONTPax
6th May 2008, 12:18
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to plant this post.

If you click on the link shown at the bottom, you can see a pic of a US Airways plane being worked on in El Salvador. The airline made sure, though, that the photo was composed in such a manner that identifying the aircraft would be difficult. Why do you suppose they'd do that? Are they ashamed of sending their planes to Third World countries for maintenance?

U.S. airlines flock to foreign repair shops

Carriers cut costs as they outsource repairs and inspections.

By Marla Dickerson, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
April 30, 2008

San Luis Talpa, El Salvador

Southwest Airlines planned to begin flying planes to this small Central American nation this year -- but not with passengers aboard. The carrier wanted to outsource some of its maintenance to a Salvadoran repair shop called Aeroman.

Aeroman already services jetliners operated by U.S. carriers JetBlue and America West. The airlines fly empty planes hundreds of miles from the United States to have them refurbished, repaired and inspected. It's like driving across town for a cheaper mechanic -- except that airlines can save millions of dollars over the life of their rides.

They aren't alone. Many air travelers don't know it, but the U.S. airline industry outsources more than half of its aircraft maintenance to contractors in the United States or abroad.

In fact, the only thing unusual about Southwest is that it changed its mind after the Federal Aviation Administration last month said it would seek a $10.2-million fine against the Dallas-based carrier for safety lapses. Southwest Executive Chairman Herb Kelleher told a congressional committee this month that the decision to back out of the deal was no reflection on Aeroman. The repair firm has a solid reputation in the industry, and it wasn't involved in Southwest's failure to carry out the required safety inspections on its planes, provoking the record fine.

Aeroman, though, isn't worrying about the half-built hangar it was preparing for Southwest. On the contrary, it's rushing to finish the building. Chief Executive Ernesto Ruiz said two U.S. carriers had contacted him about grabbing Southwest's spot in El Salvador, where they can cut their maintenance bills by 30% or more.

"When [the facility] opens in August, it will be filled," said Ruiz, who declined to name the interested carriers. "Other airlines saw an opportunity."

Industry experts say maintenance outsourcing will only increase as airlines grapple with post-9/11 security costs and sharply higher fuel prices. Already a $41-billion business, so-called MRO (for maintenance, repair and overhaul) outsourcing is expected to reach nearly $60 billion within a decade, said Kevin Michaels, a co-founder of AeroStrategy, a Michigan-based aviation consulting firm.

Major U.S. carriers that might pay $70 an hour in wages and benefits to an in-house union mechanic could save 25% with a private aircraft maintenance contractor in the U.S. and even more in a developing country.

Labor is the single largest controllable cost airlines have, according to the Washington-based Air Transport Assn. of America.

"The industry has changed. The business model has changed," Michaels said. "Given the brutal competition in the industry, airlines will be compelled to find the best value solution. . . . Outsourcing is going to continue."

Most FAA-approved contract facilities -- nearly 4,200 of them -- are in the U.S. But the fastest-growing segment of the business is overseas.

The agency has certified more than 700 repair stations in nearly 70 countries. It inspects them at least once a year, FAA spokesman Les Dorr said. Many of these shops fix only small privately owned planes and business jets. Some specialize in cosmetic jobs such as painting. Others perform general maintenance or focus on niches, such as overhauling engines.

Most of the largest stations are in industrialized nations such as Britain, Germany and Japan, but developing countries -- including China and Dubai -- are gaining fast.

Aeroman performs a variety of maintenance tasks, including sprucing up cabins, upgrading electronic systems and performing the rigorous "nose-to-tail" checks required for all commercial aircraft by the FAA, typically every 12 to 18 months. The company serviced about 120 aircraft last year.

Located in a modern facility at El Salvador International Airport, about 30 miles south of the capital, San Salvador, Aeroman employs 1,300 workers.

Entry-level trainees earn about $350 a month. An experienced mechanic can make more than $1,000 a month plus $120 monthly in bonuses -- good pay in a nation where the minimum wage for service workers is about $175 a month. Benefits include free bus transportation to work and subsidized lunches. Ruiz said turnover is low.

All mechanics speak at least some English, the language in which they must complete all paperwork and documentation for the FAA and other regulators. They are subject to random drug and alcohol tests and annual criminal checks. They must agree to undergo a polygraph examination before being hired.

On a recent afternoon, perspiring workers in identical short-sleeved navy polo shirts swarmed the cabin of an Airbus jetliner that had new carpet, spotless seats and freshly painted overhead bins.

"It's interesting work," said Luis Barrera, a 35-year-old mechanic. "And it's a big responsibility."

Aeroman has a clean record with the FAA for the last two years, said Dorr, who added that it was as far back as he could access data quickly in response to a Times request.

He described the Salvadoran operation as "an absolutely first-class facility." Customers agree. Mitch Sine, a maintenance representative for JetBlue, was in El Salvador recently checking one of his company's planes. He said Aeroman beats U.S.-based maintenance contractors, not just on price but on performance and on-time delivery.

"I can't buy this kind of quality in the United States," he said. "These people really have pride in their work."

But critics say employees of foreign repair companies don't have to meet the same standards as those in the U.S. Unionized mechanics, in particular, are steamed. Their leaders say the U.S. is losing good jobs while potentially putting passengers at risk.

For example, supervisors and inspectors who sign off on work in a foreign repair station do not have to hold an FAA "repairman" or "airframe and/or power plant" certificate, as their U.S. counterparts do.

"We've been trying for years to get the FAA to pay attention to how dangerous it is to outsource maintenance overseas," Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa said. Unionized mechanics at United Airlines voted this month to leave the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Organization and join the Teamsters, largely on promises by Hoffa to try to stem outsourcing.

Dorr said FAA requirements for a "license to operate" are identical for foreign and domestic repair stations, meaning that the maintenance is performed to a single standard, though some requirements for employees might differ.

By most measures, the U.S. is in a period of unprecedented airline safety. The only major air tragedy in the last seven years was a 2006 Comair crash in Kentucky that killed 49; federal investigators concluded that it was caused by pilot error. Worldwide, aviation fatalities have been falling even as outsourcing has been rising, the Aeronautical Repair Station Assn. in Alexandria, Va., says.

None of the inspection issues that grounded hundreds of American Airlines flights and other planes this month were linked to foreign maintenance shops. But Kevin Mitchell, chairman of the Pennsylvania-based Business Travel Coalition, a consumer advocacy group, said the recent events are a wake-up call that the FAA doesn't have a good handle on safety oversight domestically, much less at far-flung facilities.

He said his group would press Congress to adopt uniform standards for all FAA-certified repair facilities, regardless of their location.

Andres Garcia, commercial director for Aeroman, said that was fine with him. He said Aeroman was inspected 47 times last year -- four times by the FAA and the rest by the agency's counterparts in Latin America and Europe, as well as by customers, airplane manufacturers and the International Organization for Standardization, among others.

"We are used to being constantly under surveillance," Garcia said. Far from resenting it, he said it was his best sales tool.

Founded in 1983 as a subsidiary of San Salvador-based Taca Airlines, Aeroman has one of the longest track records in the maintenance, repair and overhaul business. It's now owned by ACTS, a Montreal-based airline maintenance company. U.S. private equity firms Sageview Capital and KKR Private Equity Investors own a 70% interest in ACTS. Ace Aviation Holdings Inc., the parent of Air Canada, owns a minority stake.

Garcia said Aeroman's 600 mechanics are rigorously trained and hold Salvadoran licenses recognized by the European Aviation Safety Agency. He said about 100 hold FAA certificates.

More would get them if the U.S. would let them take the exam in El Salvador. But the nearest FAA testing facilities are in the United States. Garcia said several employees have had trouble getting visas to travel to the U.S., a common complaint since the 2001 terrorist attacks in the U.S.

Barrera, the mechanic, said he understood the public's concerns about airline safety.

"We always try to do things in the best way," he said. "Our families fly too."[email protected]

SOURCE:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fi-fixplanes30apr30,1,2507956.story

ONTPax

Check Airman
6th May 2008, 13:11
I doubt it'd take an "aviation expert" to identify that as a USAir aircraft. Probably just a file photo.

Huck
6th May 2008, 14:20
"I can't buy this kind of quality in the United States," he said. "These people really have pride in their work."

I spend my days accepting aircraft out of MRO C-checks, and I can tell you that's a true statement, above.

We do as much as we can in the states. But the skilled workers just aren't there. We go overseas out of necessity.

I was talking to a local sawmill owner here in Alabama yesterday. He's about 40, been in business for himself for 15 years, and he's shutting down. He's got plenty of work to do, but he can't get labor.

He'll have somebody come in for a job - he'll ask them, "This job is about measurements, and that means fractions. What is one-eighth plus one-quarter?" He says that eliminates 80% of them right there.

Ed Bennett was right - we don't teach math, we teach how to feel about math.....

captjns
6th May 2008, 15:33
Nothing new or original. US carriers have been outsourcing maintenance outside the US for many years in cost saving matters.
US carriers use contract Mx rather than their own at out bases too due to labour costs.

This article has been re-written many times on different spins. Hype:eek: Hype:eek: and more Hype!!!!:eek:

ONTPax
6th May 2008, 15:34
Aeroman already services jetliners operated by U.S. carriers JetBlue and America West.

Ahhhh..the mystery is solved. The plane shown is probably an America West plane painted in US Airways colors and lettering.

ONTPax

Bomber Harris
9th May 2008, 10:10
i have seen some of these facilities at various locations (not in central america). Some are very good. Obviously you will get more experience in a long established US operator, but the reality of todays world is that airlines will explore any way of keeping costs down.

To us drivers this may seem like a risky venture. But to a bean counter, well quite frankly, if an engineering department finds a "good quality" MRO in a "third world" country then the maintenance is either "done" or "not done" to the companys FAA approvd standards. i.e. the bean counter will look at safe or unsafe. Not various shades of it. If the standards of your own airlines maintenance are deemed safe, the argument is "how do you get safer than safe?" So if this third world MRO meets the standards and it's cheaper then it's a no brainer.

This is an interesting discussion I have had before and there is no real answer, but it's a discussion worth having!

PAXboy
9th May 2008, 10:43
Another person quoted by Huck
What is one-eighth plus one-quarter?" He says that eliminates 80% of them right there.

Sounds very similar to the UK. We might be teaching them in metric units but I can easily imagine a school leaver having difficulty adding mm and cm. Fortunately, the govt assures us that standards in education are going up every year and they have the statistics to prove it ...

Huck
9th May 2008, 12:41
At the age of 14 I bought a 1971 Honda 100cc motorcycle and promptly trashed the engine.

My father's response was to help me pull the head, take it down to get bored out and buy a piston and some parts. He handed me a Haynes manual and came back periodically to check my work. I got it running again and rode it for many years.

I learned more from that experience than 75% of my high school classes. I also rebuilt the engine on a Subaru and rehabbed a Mustang, all before graduation. Went straight to engineering school after that.

I hate to sound like the old fecker that I closely resemble, but kids today know plenty about electronics. Good for them. But the manly arts have fallen by the wayside. "Shade-tree mechanics" can be found in our minority neighborhoods, but most little white kids in the US would hurt themselves with a pair of vice-grips.....

ONTPax
9th May 2008, 13:15
Another reason kids can't act as shade tree mechanics like in years past is because engines have become so much more complex. It used to be you could work on an auto engine with a basic toolbox. Not anymore. People take their cars to the repair shops because they know they can't do the work themselves.

ONTPax

spannersatcx
9th May 2008, 16:21
And they'll pay 3 times more to get their car serviced than a 747!:confused:

Huck
9th May 2008, 17:25
Another reason kids can't act as shade tree mechanics like in years past is because engines have become so much more complex. It used to be you could work on an auto engine with a basic toolbox. Not anymore. People take their cars to the repair shops because they know they can't do the work themselves.

My experience is, sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Those computers can also help you quickly diagnose a problem. I've got a 1999 Ford. The "Check Engine" light came on at 150,000 miles. I took it by Auto Zone, they hooked up a handheld computer and downloaded the codes - for free. I changed out two oxygen sensors and the light went away. Total cost $90 and an hour of work....

sevenstrokeroll
11th May 2008, 16:30
my '68 chevy didn't even have an oxygen sensor to replace.

413X3
12th May 2008, 22:30
most of the time when people say its hard to find skilled workers in the states what they really mean is its hard to find CHEAP skilled workers in the states. you want to pay a worker pennies but expect them to be college educated

spannersatKL
13th May 2008, 07:01
413X3
Its the same here in Europe......they all want skilled labour for the price of a cleaner....Wonder what would happen if the banks were run by incompetents......whoops they are hence the Sub Prime and the Credit Crunch....but those b@$tards still try to take top dollar pay....:E

tornadoken
15th May 2008, 19:15
Lesser US carriers had for many moons used FAA Foreign Repair Stations for Heavy Maintenance - see weird ex-PanAm 707s at ATEL/Stansted, 1970s. But in February 1986 PanAm's Pacific routes were sold. By some measures the world's largest airline, UA, launch Customer/design-influencer of DC-10/10, took over 6xL1011/500. Director E&M said what the...is this? and declined to let them into his shed. (OK: he actually said he had no intention of setting up for a chicken-s---t fleet likely to fly on his watch for months, not years.) But his mechanics were represented by the IAM, a hefty US entity, tussling for turf with the Teamsters.

The airline put their L10s, lock, stock, limey engine, and butterfly fasteners, into the Cathay/Gulf/Air Lanka pool, thus accessing a mass of structural life data just as FAA was taking a great interest in the "ageing aircraft" issue. By no engineering measure did UA's Fleet suffer - Engineering Dispatch Reliability, or average carried allowable defects, for example. (Great fun defining such things - does Appearance Engineering count? or exist?) Labour cost was not an issue - indeed the visible man-hour rate and parts mark-up % were higher than they were themselves charging for their own (low-volume) 3rd. Party work, or were building into the Business Case for a big new MRO site at Indianapolis. The overall deal made sense - example: less revenue-blocked downtime p.a on L10 than on UA/MRO DC-10.

The issue outlived UA's L10. IAM brought it to the point of a Transatlantic Trade War, and IIRC, it was only the advent of Gulf War 1 which prevented exactly that.

What Euro carriers did - SR, LH, BA - was to export oddball jobs - like one-off structural mods, and to commit to their Engineering Unions that no redundancies would be caused by outsourcing. What we now have in EU is, precisely, retirement of in-house MRO capacity - huck's point: But the skilled workers just aren't there. We go overseas out of necessity. New entrants (fogies will remember when "Apprentice" was not a TV game show) can't/won't get their hands dirty. Quality is constant, in-, or out-of-house, because that's the rule of the RFP: no bean-counter gets a look at the bid until the Continuing Airworthiness team qualifies it. If politicos. now try to embargo US carriers from placing their MRO at the site best suited - cash+time - to the operation, they will accelerate the demise of the industry.