PDA

View Full Version : Nabarlek Airstrip (NT) Info

meade
6th May 2008, 12:08
On the scrounge, would anyone have by chance the PCN number for the above airstrip, probably published in the AIP (AGA section) from around the late 70's or early 80's. Have tried CASA but no info. Thanks.

flying-spike
6th May 2008, 21:35
I used to fly RPT into Nabarlek up until the early 90's in a Chieftain but I know LLoyds went in their in Bandits and CASA212 before that. I think the military might have been in their n C130 as well. The strip was looked after by caretakers but I am not sure of it's status now. Best to talk to Air North or the smaller charter operators around their, possibly Kakadu Air.

meade
6th May 2008, 23:43
flying-spike, thanks for the info. Did a physical inspection of the airstrip last week and I'm amazed that the condition has held up so well considering its around 30 years since it was sealed with little if any surface maintenance in the interim. Specific data on the place seems scarce hence the call here as it must have been published in the AIP at the time. Its a bit of b**** that I chucked mine out finally not so many years ago, thought I'd never need them again. All the best.

SeldomFixit
7th May 2008, 04:25
http://www.knav.sabc.org.au/airport/YNAB.html

There is an operator contact. I don't have it in My old ERS
either.

SF :ok:

Stationair8
8th May 2008, 06:25
Pelair/Wings operated the Shorts 330 until 1988 when the mine closed.

morno
8th May 2008, 06:45
I'm having a stab in the dark here, as it's been a few years since I flew up in the Top End, but Narbalek, is that the sealed airstrip east of Oenpelli just south of the Gove-Darwin track? I think it would have been about 40-50nm's east of Oenpelli?

I remember flying over it countless amounts of time but not seeing anything on the WAC.

Cheers

morno

cogwheel
8th May 2008, 07:01
It was sealed in the late 70s. The JetCharter/Wings/Pelair SD330 flew there from 1981 to 1988 when the mine closed. It was never licenced, but had an NDB for that period also. Surface was good and the mine was operated by Queensland Mines Ltd (QML). It was never licenced, but I recall basic info was in the ERSA of the day. During that period the RAAF did approve it for C130 ops, but I dont recall them using it. When QML closed up and pulled out the responsibility I believe went to the local land council. In that part of the world I believe you have to get their approval to visit.

ITCZ
8th May 2008, 10:14
Rough guide to Nabarlek AD - not for navigational use ;)

Lat S12 18.3 Long E133 18.6, or
DN083/144nm, or
ENE of Oenpellie NT and almost due S of South Goulburn Is NT

RWY 10/28
1650m x 30m
Sealed
Sealed parking to NW
Camp ENE
High Terrain to E through S to NW (Arnhemland escarpment)

1995 aerial photo, N up, note terrain:
http://www.sea-us.org.au/images/na/nab-air.jpg

We flew Queenairs into there with groceries etc for the QML staff decomissioning the mine up to 1996. Used a couple of times in the mid-90s as base for the "Kumarians" opposing force in military exercises. Parked alongside C130s there - but read the YPAG thread, not all AD operators like the C130

NDB went years ago.

Responsibility for site returned to Pioneer International Ltd (PNI), parent company, when QML wound up in late nineties. PNI now delisted. That number for Arnhemland Land Trust looks like your best bet.

If no joy, suggest contact Aboriginal Areas Protection Authority (http://www.nt.gov.au/aapa) Northern Land Council (be patient), maybe Gunbalanya local council (Oenpelli) or try Pearl or Air North or any YPDN charter outfit for details.

When searching the net, be aware that spellings could include Narbalek, Nabalek and Nabarlek.

Good luck!

PLovett
8th May 2008, 10:30
I know Directair had a charter in there last year and the pilot said the strip was in good condition. That was in a 310 though.

I flew over it a few times and all the mining infrastructure shown in the photo has gone. The terrain shown in that photo is not high either, just rugged. From memory it is not that much higher than that between Jabiru and Oenpelli and I used to do that at 2,500'.

But pavement strength, sorry, I have no idea except a vague memory of being told that it was capable of taking some transport category aircraft but as to what size?:confused:

O_Wright
8th May 2008, 10:31
I used to fly into Narbarlek in the mid to late seventies when it was just dirt. The strip was unregistered and I doubt that it had a PCN number.

ITCZ
8th May 2008, 10:52
It was a licensed aerodrome for some time, used to have an entry in ERSA and used to be depicted as an aerodrome on WAC in the 1990s.

PCN would have been <10 at a guess, if it was rated.

Just curious, meade, what use is a PCN to you if the aerodrome is out of survey?

Kanga767
8th May 2008, 13:23
The JetCharter/Wings/Pelair SD330

VH-KNN

K

meade
8th May 2008, 22:25
Thanks to everyone for the replies and a bit of background history. Yes have been in touch with previous lease holder but info no longer available. Would require a re survey to be current for >5.7t just trying to save some $ if PCN established. Hope whoever flew in there recently was able to dodge the large dung piles we saw.

Stationair8
9th May 2008, 13:22
flying-spike will know the answer as his mob had a VH-SAO based out their for a wet season!

cogwheel
9th May 2008, 15:37
Quote:
The JetCharter/Wings/Pelair SD330
VH-KNN

Don't forget KNO & KNP...

It was certainly in ERSA, but AD don't have to be licenced to be in ERSA. It was private so there was no requirement to have it licenced and Pelair had approval for the SD3-30 operation, which they did for 8 years.

Look up the requirements for the SD3-30 and it would have greater than that.

What type a/c are you considering??

I recall the Air North DC3 went there a few times as well in the '80's. It certainly was approved for the Herc back then by QML & RAAF, but they did not use it during the mine times - maybe later as indicated. (after my time!).

:ok:

flying-spike
9th May 2008, 22:53
We should have left it there too!