PDA

View Full Version : Still a little lost!

ElSupremo
5th May 2008, 21:59
Hi,

My name is Jon, I'm fairly new here (I've been a member for a few months) but I'm still a little lost. I generally know what licences and qualifications you need to be a commercial pilot. I am also aware that there are a few schools/schemes that offer sponsored training. However, I do have one or two questions:

1) Are these sponsored schemes (CTC Wings, NetJets) completely paid for i.e. will any loans used to pay for the course get paid back to me?

2) How much of these courses are academic? I understand that there are a number of theoretical exams to be taken but how much of the course is taken up by teaching that will be examinable (i.e. written exams)?

3) a) What level of achievement do you need to have a realistic chance of being accepted onto on of these schemes assuming you have the required aptitude?

b) I have 5 A*s, 2 As, 3 Bs and 2 Cs at GCSE, AAB (economics, geography and IT) at A level with a C (physics) at AS level. I'm currently in my 3rd year of university where I'm studying law. What are my chances of being selected (please can successful applicants etc answer this and not just people speculating)?

Many thanks,

Jon.

preduk
5th May 2008, 22:42
I'm in the same shoes as yourself, studying law but have 8 GSCEs/Standaard Grades, 5 Highers/A-levels and 1 Advanced Higher, but I'm sh*tting myself about the CTC selection process.

Don't know why, probably because I've not done maths in about 3-4years, too used to the calculator, also the fear of not knowing what to expect.

ElSupremo
5th May 2008, 22:59
Thanks for your help and your confidence in my qualifications! However, is it a concern that I did not study maths or physics at A-level? I did study physics at AS and economics (which is maths/logic based) etc at A-level... will this be enough to counter lack of physics and maths at A2?

G SXTY
6th May 2008, 09:36
I failed A level maths and still made it through phase 1 of CTC selection. Didn't take it any further as someone else offered me a job on the Dash 8. :ok:

Advanced level maths isn't very important - just remember your 3 and 6 times tables and you won't go far wrong.

Kerosine
6th May 2008, 13:09
CTC requires an unsecured loan from the HSBC for your course fees but the airline effectively pays you an extra 12k per annum for 7 years
Certainly a 'glass half full' kinda guy DJ! I had the impression they put you on a reduced salary for 7 years :}

Supremo don't worry at all about your grades. I can only really comment on the CTC application process as a whole, and there were many who don't have A-level maths and physics who get through.

Remember it's human beings who decide if you're suitable, there is a certain amount of 'flex' in their decision, if you impress them and demonstrate aptitude, potential and passion, why wouldn't they take you?

Unfortunately, there are 3 main black/white areas that your either pass or fail (IMHO):

Minimum grades - You have acheived these.

Aptitude testing - Any FTO will look for a minimum aptitude.

Fitness - Class 1 medical is a must, but is normally the final step in getting on a course.

Input from those who have done other FTO assessments would be interesting.

Best of luck, don't worry about it so much! I've never been one of those grade-A perfect-score high flyers yet CTC still wanted me!

poss
6th May 2008, 15:57
2) How much of these courses are academic? I understand that there are a number of theoretical exams to be taken but how much of the course is taken up by teaching that will be examinable (i.e. written exams)?

I feel there has been a slight misunderstanding with this question. The theory and written exams required are all the same no matter what training organisation you go for, depending on whether they run a specific course/qualification - MCC for example.
As a University student i'd have expected you to have already done some searches into what exams are required for a particular license, PPL has 7 exams, ATPL I believe has 14 and so on.