PDA

View Full Version : How Often Are WACs Published?

DH 200'
5th May 2008, 11:43
Can't seem to find an issue date specified for them.
Is there a certain time frame between WAC publications or is it just a matter of updating them when something changes?

I guess the need just isn't there to be reproduced over and over again (come to think of it there might be, mine has certainly seen better days.):ok:
Any thoughts?

Regards,
DH 200'

Lasiorhinus
5th May 2008, 12:07
Every three - to - five years, depending on whether or not anyone builds new towers, or cities grow.

The ones around built-up areas are usually done every three years, but those that only show the desert, every five.

Its your responsibility to ensure that the data on the WAC chart is up to date - this does not necessarily mean just having the latest chart, but also filling in by hand all the additional notations that are promulgated in between revisions of the chart.

Cap'n Arrr
5th May 2008, 12:12
I believe revisions are noted in "Head Office Notams"

Also, as Lasior said, you don't need to buy a new chart, you simply need to make additions to your current one e.g. changing the required altitudes. (Personally I'd just get a new on :ok:)

Lodown
5th May 2008, 14:02
It'd be nice if the information was stored in digital format, but alas, last I checked, WAC's are still updated by hand on nearly worn-out sheets of film that are decades old and predate the home computer and probably the electronic calculator. Go figure that one out. It must be costing a fortune in update costs to save some money on one time capital expenditure! Not that much different to individual pilots adding in the symbols as mentioned above. No wonder the WACs are only updated once every few years and decision-makers baulk at showing airspace, routes, aids, etc.

strim
5th May 2008, 14:14
I have noticed the most recent 3458 (Adelaide) WAC lacks many ground features that still exist and appear on previous editions of the chart.

Towns, silos and some roads have dissapeared off the new edition.

Any similar trends in other areas? Any ideas as to why some detail would be overlooked?

bentleg
5th May 2008, 23:21
You're right that this stuff should be digital

Indeed.

You can get an electronic version (most likely scanned) with products such as AirNav (http://www.sentientvisionsystems.com/AirNavWebsite/products_an.html). You can print off the sectors required.

CaptainInsaneO
6th May 2008, 01:04
I also have found that most recent WAC's have less information than the older version, including roads, rivers, towns, dams etc

This is around the North / North Western Queensland Area

I sent a detailed email to the people responsible for any errors in the charts, itemising around 6 important features missing. I recieved no reply and no new WAC was published

equal
7th May 2008, 05:26
you can actually see the roads and rivers now. with the 6th ed of townsville it was pretty hard to spot anything near mountains or high terrain due to the dark shading, they ditched this in the 7th.