PDA

View Full Version : Comair/Kulula to London?

grjplanes
5th May 2008, 08:22
Untill when do they still have time to start the flights that they were awarded last year? Isn't it just 9 months in which airlines have to use the frequencies they're awarded on routes?
There must be somewhat demand for at least 3 weekly flights to LGW now...and I know of a certain 767-300ER that recently became available...

777Contrail
5th May 2008, 08:33
Do you want them to actually RISK expanding the bussiness!!?

:ugh:

lvdriver
5th May 2008, 08:55
I heard they were now thinking of not doing it....perhaps with the whole Nationwide saga this may be reviewed? hopefully it will be.

TwinJock
12th May 2008, 03:13
As was said last year - just a pie in the sky!!!

Young Novick could not say from where in SA to where in the UK, with what, and even, when. Plan an international operation with management like that and you are doomed from the start.

theBOSS
13th May 2008, 13:58
-Biggest thing holding Comair from starting a JNB-london route is BA Mainline, they will pull the British Airways franchise from Comair,simple as that.

Shrike200
13th May 2008, 17:07
They've apparently said they're ok with it, if memory serves...

Juliet Sierra Papa
13th May 2008, 20:04
This may become a very interesting topic as the rising oil prices are ultimately going to dictate how the major players strategies unfold.
Is now the right time to consider rekindling this fire?
As grjplanes said, there is an aircraft available....potentionally, But has the slot already been taken by another option?
Does anyone know what type Comair/Kulula where considering anyway?

Thanks.

777Contrail
14th May 2008, 06:42
Long term strategy.

B777-200LR for Sydney, Hong Kong and Los Angeles (6).

B777-300ER for Sao Paolo (or Buenos Aires), New York, New Delhi and Beijing (8).

Short term tactics, connect Beijing with South America first, then build from there.

Take a page from EK.

Hub them through JHB, connecting East and West.

Use the geography and let the big boys fight over Europe and connecting Europe with the world.

That's what should be done...................

Now, dream on!

evanb
14th May 2008, 13:14
Problem #1: Sydney, Sao Paulo & Buenos Aires are not accessible in a two engined aricraft from JNB - ETOPS
Problem #2: Boeing 777-200LR cannot operate at anything near MTOW from JNB due to tyre speed restrictions
Problem #3: Beoing 777-300ER will carry large weight restrictions out of JNB to most long haul destinations
Problem #4: All the ultra long haul destinations would require tech stops so there goes any time advantage (this applies to LAX, NYC and PEK)

So geography is also a real bitch ... whatever anyone says about the Airbus Tupperware they do a very good and efficient job out of JNB relative to any two enigined aircraft! Maybe there was a reason why SA went Airbus!

JetPark
14th May 2008, 13:28
Perhaps they are waiting to see how Mr. Civair goes first!:E

I'm hearing that posts are being filled as we pprune away the day!

RunwayBlueOne
14th May 2008, 20:52
Everyone underestimates Manchester. Huge market there. Forget London Area Airports.

George Tower
15th May 2008, 20:45
Well I for one could make use of a MAN service.......the catchment area of MAN is significant. Globespan did a service to CPT last year but I believe in part they failed because they could only sell tickets at the UK end-of-route

evanb
15th May 2008, 21:04
They did sell in SA but they only sold online and there was very little, if any marketing, and no connections to the rest of the country. With a bit more planning or work, some connections, and connectivity to a GDS they could have done better!

But Cape Town wasn't the only failure in Globespan ... the whole business was/is a failure!

Globaliser
17th Jun 2008, 20:59
I saw this report (http://travel.iafrica.com/flights/738255.htm) mentioned elsewhere on the Net:-More London-SA flights

British Airways will increase its South African services by another seven flights from April 2009 following successful bilateral talks between the South African and British governments.

This brings the number of flights the airline is able to operate between South Africa and the UK to 35 a week.

The additional services will operate on the busy Johannesburg-to-London route, increasing the existing double-daily schedule to triple-daily.
...That'll be the end of Comair doing London, then? IIRC, Comair were awarded four frequencies. Did CE have rights to only three frequencies? If so, presumably they're up for grabs now so that Comair could ask to go to a daily service. But somehow I can't see it if BA mainline is (finally!) going to be able to operate more than double daily.