PDA

View Full Version : DUXFORD - When to visit

arfor40
4th May 2008, 23:41
Hi Folks,

I am visiting the UK for 4 weeks, leaving Australia in at the end of this week. We have decided to drive ourselves around, and have arranged timing around the air show in Duxford in May.
It has been suggested that it would be better to avoid the airshow day and visit on a "normal" day, as we are likely to see more and it would be less crowded.
Any advice on this appreciated.

Background Noise
5th May 2008, 02:22
If you are there on the Friday before you may see those arriving for the show - of course many of the participants are Duxford based so they won't necessarily be flying until the day. Some stuff may arrive later, or even on show day if they've been displaying elsewhere, but most of the mil will probably arrive on Friday.

WHBM
5th May 2008, 08:53
Absolutely go on the airshow day. Splendid continuous action with lots of visitors. A "normal" day just seems quiet in comparison.

If you want to see all the static museum pieces as well, arrive early (like 10 am). Proper flying starts around 2.00 pm and lasts to about 5.00 pm.

The crowds are always manageable. It's a big site. There are also a large number of visiting traders in aviation books etc that you may be interested in, who of course only turn up on show day.

gruntie
5th May 2008, 18:00
From a personal experience of some years ago, I can recommend the Friday before an airshow day somewhere else. Some of the participants make quite spirited departures. I have wonderful memories of a Sea Fury passing over my head at high speed and seemingly not much more than 50'.

JEM60
5th May 2008, 22:21
Can only agree with WHBM. If you want to see the best Warbird flying in the world, then you MUST go on Airshow day. Favourite place is the motorway end for me. Wherever you go at this fabulous place, and which ever day you do go, you will have been and seen a very special place, to me, the best place in the world apart from my home!!! ENJOY!!