PDA

View Full Version : Mango losing pilots??

Jangys
4th May 2008, 17:53
Heard that 6 first officers resigned from Mango to go to SAA. Two First Officers going to Emirates. One First Officer going to BA / Comair.

Just wondering where they will get new crew?? specially with the kind of salaries they pay.

Apparently "morale" amongst crew very low...:cool:

boypilot
4th May 2008, 18:04
Word out is that they have already been replaced- apparently 9 FOs already hired - just a wild guess but probably still 1 or 2 out there who would only be to glad to fly -800 and earn a Mango salary - looking from the outside in - doesn't appear to be such a bad deal! maybe time for the whiners to make room for those that want a decent job.

VortexGen300
4th May 2008, 18:50
There are many 737 oaks out of jobs - with a little bit of differences training they should be able to get more than enough from the Nationwide guys & girls?

VG300

Jangys
7th May 2008, 11:21
Who in their right mind would want to go and fly Mango, orange shirt...!!!

Maybe if it wasn't for the shirt, I would consider..

yuk.......

:eek:

exflygirl
7th May 2008, 14:39
Jangys...you need to grow up!!!
Orange shirt???? what does that have to do with paying the bills and flying a nice shiny aircraft. I suspect you'd give your left ball to be wearing an orange shirt!

razorback
7th May 2008, 16:42
exflygirl - what makes you assume that Jangys has balls to give???

Jangys
8th May 2008, 06:16
The problem is......

Paying the bills might be an issue, Mango currently the lowest paying airline in the country. Nationwide pilots made more money.

Flying a new shiny aircraft would be nice, but only for a while. After the dissipation of that excitement the overshadowing effect of having to fly with;

An orange shirt (for 14 months without an re-issue)
Not getting a meal on-board, getting a crap meal.
Flying max FDP.
Dealing with incompetent Management.
CEO not even greeting his own employees when they walk past.

etc....etc.

is really not up my tree..thank you.

oh, exflygirl.....I am grown up........wake up and smell the coffee. Flying smartly and safely is the issue here. Not flying a shiny new aircraft...they crash too you know (not that I am saying Mango is not safe)....:ok:

boypilot
8th May 2008, 08:19
Jangys

Here's some news for you....

SAA hasn't had a uniform issue for 3 years
Only regional and international flights have crew meals loaded
They are operating max FDP and hard hours
SAA wrote the book on incompetent management
and the CEO NEVER greets you when he's on board.

But I wouldn't worry if I were you, Mango aren't going to offer you a job anyway. :ok:

exflygirl
9th May 2008, 18:25
Jangys...your initial post stated...you would not consider flying for Mango because of their orange shirts!!! Based on that I repeat...You need to grow up!!!

Malagant
10th May 2008, 01:56
I wrote the same in another thread that I am goiing to say here,,we are TOOLS in somebody elses business..PERIOD, the investors and owners want to make as much MONEY as possible, so they will cut meals, pay as little as possible to make you work as much as posibble, and as long as you within the FDP there ain`t nothing you can do..just like any other business..and no matter how many hrs we have or how qualified we are or how important we think we are cause we fly a 73 or a A380..or anything for that matter, we are working for someone else, so who cares if you wear an orange shirt, you wanted to go work there so stop:{ We all in the same boat..!

Anette Kruger
10th May 2008, 04:56
I agree. That ugly orange colour should never have made it anywhere near uniforms:rolleyes:. If I could choose an airline based on how good we all look in uniform, 1Time's new outfits win by far.:cool:

If a real mango ever had that kind of orange colour, would you even eat it?:eek::yuk:

Placido
10th May 2008, 07:38
Malagant, you're wrong. And sadly you've illustrated the reason why pilots all over the world have T&C's that get worse yearly.
FDP is a guideline, it has no base in scientific fact, if you're tired or not rested the FDP doesn't matter.
Pilots accept the conditions whereunder they sell their service, including the uniform, if something is not to your liking - YOU have to change it. Or shut up and accept it.
If the food is not good or not loaded, the law states your bloodsugar must be such that safe flight can bo conducted - get off the a/c and go buy a meal. The company will soon catch on when flights get delayed. And don't come with ''They don't have to.''
They're obliged by law to give you time off, away from your workplace for meals, which they don't and therefore have to provide the meal themselves.

south coast
10th May 2008, 08:26
Placido is right.

When we get a disrupted nights sleep due to the company putting us in a cheaper hotel to 'save money' we report fatigued the next day and unable to fly.

The cost of the slightly more expensive hotel is a LOT less than the sell off they have to make at short notice to a charter company.

I think you need to remember, management's job is to make a company run smoothly and to be profitable, if you show them you can do the job equally well with a cheaper hotel and with no crew meals, then why shouldnt they remove it in a bid to make a bigger profit.

However, if you show them that you CANT do the job without crew meals etc etc, they will soon realise it is a cost that has to be included.

Have some backbone and be a professional.

missingblade
10th May 2008, 16:01
And when you grow that backbone and become a professional you will still look like a clown in your orange shirt!:mad::mad:

Shrike200
11th May 2008, 06:39
That's what the autopilot is for! And yes, in other lines of work, you must bring your own lunch or buy it at work. The difference is, of course, that almost all other lines of work give you a lunch break. It's not the time that's the most important part (we generally have adequate time in the cruise), it's the opportunity to wander off and go and get something to eat of your choosing if you didn't make your own. We can't do that.

Therefore, I don't expect airlines to provide us with free food. BUT, they must then provide several 'menu' options, and preferably at a reduced price, since we do have the ability to shop around (essentially they would otherwise be abusing a 'captive' market, their own employees!)

Jangys
12th May 2008, 08:12
Jangys

Here's some news for you....

SAA hasn't had a uniform issue for 3 years :D That is easy, just go to Boundary Silk bazaar and buy a white shirt and blue trouser. Try to buy a orange mango shirt somewhere....Only regional and international flights have crew meals loaded. I dont believe you. I dont think the union will stand for that.They are operating max FDP and hard hours
SAA wrote the book on incompetent management Ja well, all of mango ex SAA. Go figure.and the CEO NEVER greets you when he's on board.

But I wouldn't worry if I were you, Mango aren't going to offer you a job anyway.

No thanks....not interested either. Mango probably offered you a job, or you must already be working there....I did not know Mango employ boy pilots...

exflygirl
12th May 2008, 16:22
Jangys Jangys Jangys!!! Now if easyJet were to offer you a job? Would you take it? The future is bright...the future is orange!

The point I was trying to make is if you are a pilot and you have a family to feed...would it matter if you had to don orange everyday? Me thinks not.

groundfloor
13th May 2008, 07:40
Ask yourself; Is it possible? Is it safe? Is it legal? Communicate with management even if they don`t always understand or listen. Flying over lunch time - tell them and if no action get off and go eat. If there is a cock up of any description you will be in the dock not them! Thats what you wear bars and wings for - keep it safe!

Q4NVS
13th May 2008, 08:29
Maybe if it wasn't for the shirt, I would consider..

What a load of drivvel...!

:zzz: