PDA

View Full Version : Cathay hiring question

RO737pilot
4th May 2008, 13:34
Does anyone know what the deal is if you're in the U.S. military reserves? I have an interview next month in NY and I'm worried that this may be a problem for me.

Waterskier
6th May 2008, 10:31
Since Cathay Pacific is a foreign company, they are not subject to USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act). Therefore, they do not have to give you off for drills or deployments.

Little by little, they are switching to onshore companies (UK switched in April). If they switch to an onshore company (US Company), then I imagine it would be like any other US company where they have to give you off for drills.

FreddieFlyer
6th Jan 2011, 04:17
The USERRA regulations (recently promulgated by the Department of Labor) state: “USERRA applies to foreign employers doing business in the United States. A foreign employer that has a physical location or branch in the United States (including United States territories and possessions) must comply with USERRA for any of its employees in the United States.” 20 C.F.R. 1002.34(b). In a pamphlet entitled Employee Rights When Working for Multinational Employers, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission stated: “Employees who work in the U.S. or its territories are protected [by U.S. civil rights laws] whether they work for a U.S. or foreign employer.”
It seems to me that it should apply.

MilPilot
7th Jan 2011, 03:51
RO737pilot Are you applying for a cadet position??