PDA

View Full Version : Software for scanning Docs, photos etc

Keith Discovering
4th May 2008, 09:09
Gents,

I've got lots of paperwork that i want to store on my computer. I don't need OCR capabilities, but I want a software that will scan docs, photos, articles etc and can do basic editing, whilst saving in PDF, JPEG and decent file formats. I don't mind paying for it either.

Any suggestions please?

cheers

KD

Bushfiva
4th May 2008, 09:20
Hamrick Vuescan is the software people tend to compare everything else against. If it supports your scanner, it does an outstanding job. It includes profiles for many film types if you're doing transparancies or negatives.

If you want to do scanning and filing, then one of the Scansoft Paperport products may be of interest to you. Whether or not you actually want to OCR a document, it will do a simple text-only OCR in the background, to build a searchable index.

Background Noise
4th May 2008, 09:30
What scanner do you have - has it not got some software with it? If not the manufacturer's website might have some. Whilst you may not need OCR, a document saved in, say, word format is considerably smaller than a 'picture' of the same document.

cats_five
4th May 2008, 11:00
A document saved in some kind of readable form (Word etc.) is also much more useful - you can use the search facility to look for documents containing specific words or phrases.

Keith Discovering
6th May 2008, 16:16
Cheers Gents,

I'll check Google again.

Regards