PDA

View Full Version : Best and quickest path to take

Integro
4th May 2008, 04:11
Hey Guys,

I'm going to give a full run down on my situation and leave it open for discussion on what everyone would suggest.

I'm currently living in Brisbane with my wife and 2 sons (both under 3). I've been wanting to become a pilot for about 14 years and decided about 5 years ago that it was to become my full time job (currently 29). I've worked damn hard to build an IT company that is now able to support me and the family while I do my training and we've got the cash in the bank ready to go.

That's the history, here are the questions.

1. What is the best/quickest path to take to get in to some one like Jet Star or VB etc. Should I become an instructor to build hours, should I try and just sink more cash in and outright pay to get my hours up etc.

2. I want to reduce the amount of moving we have to do. We realise that we'll be moving and I'm happy to move for a good job but I don't want to be chasing crappy little $40k a year jobs around the country.

From advice obtained here it sounds like Adelaide is a better place to be doing my training than Brisbane (seems a lot cheaper and I have family there too). But I don't want to move there and then be having to move again after 6 months because all the jobs are else where. So what are the chances of finding a job flying out of Adelaide?

The first question is just something I want to know so we can start planning however the second one is more pressing as we're selling our house in Brisbane to fund the licence and we need to make a commitment as to where we're going to live ASAP.

Looking forward to feedback on here.

Integro

solowflyer
4th May 2008, 04:35
Sounds like instructing would be the best option for you if you don't want to travel. You have another income comming in so that will help offset the crap pay most instructors have to endure. Not too many other options will be available if you not prepaired to travel and want to build hrs quickly. Don't pay for unconstuctive hr building if you can avoid it but hour build in a constructive way ie doing ifr,twin,aerobatic ratings etc instead of just pointlessly burning holes in the sky.

I'm not an instructor, i'm out in the middle of QLD outback surveying and to me travel and being away from home for extended periods of time is part and parcel in aviation.

good luck

GUARD
4th May 2008, 05:49
Sounding a bit SAFE there matey with your limited choices.

Obviously you don't want to be running all over the country with two little ones but be prepared to get into it a bit.

As I'm sure you've read on other similar posts, some of the best experiences and friendships do come from the most unexpected so called s$%^ jobs.

Anyway for my take on your post, I would recommend some instructing as there is a shortage and it will get you into teaching some multi IFR possibly with a senior Grade 3 but certainly Grade 2. It will give you a reasonably good salary and it keeps things stable.

1500 hours will probably get you a gig with Jetstar and Virgin and will possibly take you 2 years if things go well. I started at 29 and now work for a major, but that took 13 years of mixed and really enjoyable flying including a good deal of multi IFR instructing and regional flying.

Wouldn't change any of it for anything.

If you don't mind me saying so, maybe try being a bit more open to the possiblilities out there.

GUARD:ok:

Integro
4th May 2008, 06:01
I'd be happy to make a move or two but like you said it's not fair on the little ones if they are moving every 6 Months. My wife and I have spoken about it and we'd even be happy to move Over Seas if that's where the job takes us. Would just prefer if each move was for a few years rather than 3 months here and 6 months there.

Thanks for the tip on becoming an instructor and also not just throwing money in to pointless hours.

kalavo
4th May 2008, 06:46
Cathay scholarship? It'll keep you in the one spot for four years.

solowflyer
4th May 2008, 07:39
don't get me wrong there is no such thing as pointless hours just trying to say to utilise your dollars wisley as there are plenty of schools out there ready to take your money off you, while on that note never pay in advance for flying always as you go. If the school insists on advance payment then smell a rat and move on to the next school down the road.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
4th May 2008, 08:57
Good luck with the training. Check your PMs later this evening

FRQ CB

cwc
6th May 2008, 01:05
timmy........did I tell you its a boy!!! not a timmy though. In one of the ultrasound photos you can see him taking a leak. like father like son already.

Mr. Hat
6th May 2008, 01:14
have you tried for the qantas cadetship?

Integro
6th May 2008, 01:19
I did look at Qantas. It seems like a lot of red tape and from whatI understand it's pretty hard to get in. I didn't think they'd even look at me given my age.

Tempo
6th May 2008, 01:36
At least give the QF Cadetship a go.....you never know what can happen. It is certainly a good time to apply given the situation of the industry. It may cost a lot more initially but you will earn that back in the first 2 years of employment with the rat.

Mr. Hat
6th May 2008, 02:00
Tempo has got it in one.

Give it a go - you just never know. If you pull it off you will never lay a foot in GA and will have saved yourself years of bullsh?t.

Hard to get into? No just random.

Good luck.

Integro
6th May 2008, 02:51
Awesome, I just didn't want to waste a heap of time going through the motions when there wasn't any point. I'll be on to it tonight!

wesky
6th May 2008, 04:44
Depending how much cash you hold with your Co'...

-Study your MECIR full time.
-Purchase yourself a decent twin and do as much flying you can in your own time...
-Sub lease the twin to a decent school to help pay for it while you fly when it is avbl.
-During your downtime, self study ATPL subjects.

Hours and experience is only limited by money in this scenario!

I mean hell, you could ever do some overnight freight with your own twin and incorporate it in to your current IT biz to help pay for the acft. It would also help with building your CV.

Anyways, If I had money, this is how it would of be done.

I guestimate 600k for the first year would do the job just nicely :), twin included.

You would never pay it back but it could well be the quickest possible route.... 23 hours a week in your own acft is 1200 after 52 weeks :)

Am I crazy or is it the beer? haha

Mr. Hat
6th May 2008, 10:59
Just remember the word "random". You never know your luck.

Keg
6th May 2008, 11:13
QF have previously taken cadets older than 29....and that was when pilots were a little thicker on the ground then they are now!

Capt Claret
6th May 2008, 11:54
Integro,

I don't think there is a quickest and best path. The paths are many and varied, and the opportunities that present are as varied.

What it's like to enter the industry now, I don't know, as my entry was back in the early 80's. However, I started at 26, with a wife and two children under 3. It seems to me that the employment prospects for pilots are the best now, that I have known.

I'm sure others were in a similar situation as I, so feel confident that if your goal is to fly, then it should be achievable. Back in "my day", it was almost unheard of to be able to get a career start in a big city. It may have improved recently but I suspect there is still a fair degree of mobility needed to climb the ladder. In 22 years, I've only ever been able to change jobs, moving to a better one of course, and not move town, once.

If your only reason for instructing is to get hours, and you don't believe you can offer instructing "from the heart", my counsel would be to find another way of building hours.

At the end of the day, I still firmly believe that never giving up on the dream, is the biggest requirement for success in aviation in Australia.

Good luck.

WannaBeBiggles
6th May 2008, 21:14
Integro,

I won't repeat what the others have said about moving, that would just be overkill.

Like yourself I am/was in I.T. and am 27, albeit have not missus and little sprogs running around :p
You will pretty much have to resign yourself that you will NOT get a well paying job in the first few years, 40k is even a bit ambitious in your first year if you look at the award, though if you get in to a good operator and/or contract and get a decent rate you could offset a low award through working your ring off in the peak seasons up north.

Centers like Darwin, Alice, Cairns and Broome do have charter opportunities these days, but wages are failry low to begin with and will probably never match what I.T. pays.

I say just accept that your 6 figure salary will be cut in to thirds or quarters for the first few years, and just concentrate on your flying. Remember, money isn't everything :ok:

Integro
6th May 2008, 21:25
Thanks for the idea wesky, I'll check my bank statements today and if the interest in my savings account as added an extra zero on the end of the $60k that I was planning to spend on my licence then I'll duck out and buy myself a twin and start clocking up some hours :).

As for the rest of the suggestions it sounds like the little family will have to get used to the idea of moving around! Thanks again for all the feedback.

Mr. Hat
7th May 2008, 03:47
If the Qantas mainline cadetship thing does not work then you should also consider the Qantaslink option. I personally don't think the Rex option is a good one as I've got doubts of their longevity. Anything with a Q on the back on the other hand is different.

Normally i'd say steer clear of any cadetship except Qantas mainline but you have a family and if you can avoid dragging them though GA then do so.

Flying at the end of the day is just a job your wife and little ones are your reasons for everything.

Spearmint
14th May 2008, 07:02
Integro,

As above, your age should not go against you in the slightest for the QF cadet option.

In terms of buying an aeroplane? Perhaps that may be a tad ambitious at first. (and if you've got a lazy half million lying around then you're too rich to be pilot!)

I reckon:
Apply to QF Cadet program (postage & paper is all it'll cost you)
Start doing a bit of flying (GFPT, solo, something like that) to get the feel of it & cement the fact that it's what you really want.
Talk to the QF Cadet application people & see what they say about timeline & when you may/may not hear about your succesful acceptance in the program.
Then, do the QF Cadet thing, or go out & just start learning elsewhere.

Please post your thoughts, progress, etc
I (and I'd say a few others here) would really like to hear about how youre getting on with it all.

Good luck mate.:ok:

Cheers,
The Spearmint.

dsjoshua
30th May 2008, 09:22
Dirty,
your awesome, we should hang out, good luck with it bro

Jack5338
18th Jun 2008, 06:34
Hi Guys

Sorry if I am in the wrong Forum, but I was wondering if someone can help me? I have no experiance in flying ( only on the computer).

It has been a live long dream of mine to become a pilot. To be quite honest, I do not have the CASH to do my license. Is there any options for me to take to become a pilot or to get a Cadet Pilot Scholership.

I work currently for Virgin Blue Airlines as ground staff. I would really appreciate it if any one can give me some advice.

I hope to hear from you soon

Thanks
Jack:confused::confused::confused:

Ando1Bar
18th Jun 2008, 06:59
It has been a live long dream of mine to become a pilot. To be quite honest, I do not have the CASH to do my license. Is there any options for me to take to become a pilot or to get a Cadet Pilot Scholership.

I hate to say it, but you are out of luck.

Unless this is a wind-up, in which case you will see the results shortly.

Integro
24th Jun 2008, 06:01
Hey Spearmint,

I've started flying now and done about 10 or so hours in the last couple of weeks. It's great and I love it.

To be honest it's much harder work than I thought it would be. I think the checks and radio calls are harder than the actual flying.

I got to do some steep turns in the first couple of lessons and loved it so I'm looking forward to doing a bit of aerobatics at some stage in the future.

I just missed the last round for Qantas applications but I'll be giving it a go at some stage.

I'll keep you posted with how it all goes! Cheers again for the encouragement and advice!

Keg
24th Jun 2008, 06:49
FEEHELP and HECS are all discussed on the QF cadetship web site Jack. A little self help goes a long way.