PDA

View Full Version : Life at SIA

SOPS
1st Jul 2000, 21:00
With all the stories going on, I would like to start a new post.If a person was offered (and I have not been, nor even applied) but if someone was offered say a B747-400 command on expat terms with SIA, and lets say they are currently flying an A330 for Air Beach Patrole, but based in their home country, but the salary at SIA is better, (for example), is it a good move to go to SIA.(This I add is all hypothetical, please put in any variables you like). I look forward to replies.

EasyGo-Lucky?
4th Jul 2000, 05:30
No Expat 747-400 positions available at SIA, only Local terms are on offer. That mainly means no schooling, housing, or expat allowance. Cost of living is high, tax is roughly 22%, expat schooling is very expensive. Housing costs are dependant upon the lifestyle you wish to lead.

EasyGo-Lucky?
4th Jul 2000, 11:17
Sops, I owe you an apology. I have just opened the latest Flight Int and see that SIA are again offering Expat Terms to 747-400 Captains. Apply now then before they change their minds again.

New York Pilot
4th Jul 2000, 14:53
None

[This message has been edited by New York Pilot (edited 14 July 2000).]

Kaptin M
4th Jul 2000, 16:57
Gosh, New York Pilot, we can hardly wait to hear your next instalment....especially with your ending of "Grass always seems greener on the other side."....

...it sounds SO much like Gladiator's "2.5 years on after SIA, the grass is so much greener"

...Oooohhh, surely not...surely Gladys wouldn't be posting under a new name????

Would SHE???!!!

You ARE a sorry case, Gladdie!! :) :)

Whiskery
5th Jul 2000, 09:16
Bad news for you SOPS. SIA are still not employing expats on the 747-400. Read the fine print on their last advertisement in Flight and you will see only rated 744 pilots are employed on expat terms.
However, you can join on national terms and enter into a training agreement/bond and you still have a good job earning lots & lots of money!

SOPS
6th Jul 2000, 00:11
I think my point has been lost, I am not endorsed on the 747, and have not applied to SIA, and at the moment, dont intend to. All I was asking is, what is it REALLY like ti work and live there