PDA

View Full Version : Cape Flying Services in George

SAASFO
3rd May 2008, 20:14
Does anyone know what is going on at CFS? There are rumours that the foreign students are very unhappy as some of them have been there 9 months and still don't have their PPL's.

Apparently, if they try to leave the school they are told that they will forfeit all of the money they have paid the owner, which in some cases is over $20,000.

Sounds like they are caught between a rock and a hard place.

However, if these rumours are true, how can a company keep money of their clients for services they have not yet provided?

Does anyone have any information, preferably first hand, as to whether this is what is going on?

RunwayBlueOne
4th May 2008, 08:09
MMmmm. I think you have the school names confused. Ask George Tower over on the Afrikaans forum.

herschel mcleod
4th May 2008, 08:54
I started to do my Com their but he is very dodgy when I saw what was going on their I tried to leave but they do not do any refunds so I hade to do my twin rating in their old apache (pa23) or I would have lost the R16 000 I hade in my account and they have done this to many many students foreign and south African alike I would never recommend (Mr J T’s) school to any body.

Gunship
4th May 2008, 09:49
Ahh time for CFS bashing again (like so many times before here). :ouch:

It is interesting to note Mr Herschel Mcleod that you where at CFS for a while and you do not even know what Mr Todd's name is (or how to spell it) ? :=

The old story of "creat a username" and bash your opposition is at it again. :8

PS: SAASFO if you are really interested about the students. Ask them if they have passed their exams. Right now in SA that is the most difficult thing for any student to do. Pass the PPL exams. It is not easy. Ask me... and ask your Student friends.

VortexGen300
4th May 2008, 11:10
Ok I am just making a remark about and definitely not bashing but suggesting a solution:

PS: SAASFO if you are really interested about the students. Ask them if they have passed their exams. Right now in SA that is the most difficult thing for any student to do. Pass the PPL exams. It is not easy. Ask me... and ask your Student friends.

If someone is paying you to do their training it includes the passing of the exams. It is the tutor/trainers responsibility to make sure the student learns the required subject matter in order to pass the exam. I have a close family member who has recently tried to pass the PPL stuff - guess what he had to borrow my CPL training books - he went through it and passed his exams.

Now if the training organisation in question is really conserned about its reputation it should serve them well to keep their students happy by assisting them in getting the required knowledge to pass the exams asap.

My question would be are they running a Com ground school? - well if they do get the students in their and have them write the PPL exams and then the CPL??? It will save a lot on the monthly board and lodging for the students as well!

The establishement where I did my training has now started this due to the fact that the PPL exams are so "difficult". You get a better quality PPL!

10 cents worth.

Stirred?
VG300

Gunship
4th May 2008, 12:10
Lo VG300

I have already mentioned how difficult the new PPL is.

And now I speak out of a personal viewpoint and personal experience.
My own child did not pass the initial PPL exams twice.
I have since put her closer to home and under more supervision and she has failed again a few times.
This is a grade A student that passed with distinction last year at school.
Yes I am referring to my own child but I hope someone can learn from this.
The PPL is not easy and is so close to the old CPL it is frighting.
A "leisure" license it is no more that is for sure and I feel very sorry for the Flight Schools and students alike.

On the positive side I think we will see a much better equipped PPL pilot that will be ready for CPL sooner than before. ( I think and hope).

Cheers

Gunship

congoman
4th May 2008, 20:03
The old story of "creat a username" and bash your opposition is at it again.

Not true Guns!

TooBadSoSad
4th May 2008, 23:48
I experienced CFS in 1996 when GT was already running the place. I went there to do my CPL and IR flight test and held an FAA ATPL at the time. They were totally incapable of offering me any assistance in preparing for the flight tests and the Piper Apache (probably the same one that is still there), broke down continuously. Then, when the flight test date arrived, the examiner from Cape Town performed about 8 initial CPL or IF ratings in one day. The Apache once again malfunctioned during the flight test as the landing gear would not retract but the examiner opted to continue with the tests with the gear extended the whole time.

It seems that nothing has changed in 12 years!! How does this guy keep his ATO license?

cavortingcheetah
5th May 2008, 05:49
:)

What Ho Congo!

Your words must surely carry great weight in this matter.
The evil duo at FAGC were fantastic by the way. Mission accomplished.
By George and by Jingo!
a vd b

cc

B200Drvr
8th May 2008, 18:01
I went there, and got what I paid for in the time that GT said it would take, so did all the other students that were there, that put in the everyday effort. Also got a fishing trip or two at GT's expense, as well as numerous braais. I met an ex RAF pilot the other day, who had been out there to do some training and he had the same experience as I did. Cant all be bad.

negus
9th May 2008, 12:21
Cant all be bad.
Fortunately you didn't meet the "sucker" criterea like many of us did :(
Not going into this again - there's more than enough info buried in prunes pages to tell the story. Maybe you were lucky. Many of us weren't.
Watch your back out there!

Deltag1
9th Jul 2008, 14:56
I heard heard a rumour that there are no instructors left and GT himself is flying. Any feedback on that?

EladElap
9th Jul 2008, 18:26
"I heard heard a rumour that there are no instructors left and GT himself is flying. Any feedback on that?" - Deltaq1

Sure...

GT is the CFI, that's Chief FLYING Instructor, with well in excess of 5000 hours of instruction so it's a pretty silly comment to find it funny that the CFI is flying!

Secondly, CFS is still looking for full time instructors, but how many schools in SA aren't looking? However unlike SAASFO's operation in Rand, instead of getting dispensation from the CAA to waive the standardised instructors examinations in favour of one a course that requires no standardised papers; CFS currently has five (in various stages of training) of their own students who wish to stay on and instruct and are currently studying for their instructors examinations. What is interesting here, is if the school is allegedly so badly run, then why is it, and has it always been that more than a few students in the past have stayed on to instruct?

In addition the school as two Grade 3's, one of whom is due to upgrade in the next few weeks. On top of this, the school also has two part time Grade 2 instructors both doing line flying for two different contract/cargo carriers.

On the side..... GT it's K@K up here.... no good feeeeshing, need to make a mission down your way for more fishing on the Roballo!!

digitalsoul
10th Jul 2008, 08:09
That place sucks, i ve no good news about the place. I feel for the Indian and Nepal students there. Some of them have stayed for a year without PPL.
I had to leave my 10.000R there after staying for some 2 months with 1 hour slot, everything sucks, from aircraft to management. if u wana leave, u don get your money back, infact the owner(not mentioning the name), would threaten to report you to the immigration to withdraw your Visa.... and to make it worst, those guys kind of bond you to the school with the immigration making it hard for the foreign student to leave. Accomodation is no good.... Please do not go there. I did not suffer, but I am a firsthand witness!

gerpols
10th Jul 2008, 17:21
Guys, I am gonna keep it short this time........CFS SUCKS BIG TIME !!
And I am speaking on behalf of at least 3 Dutchman...!!
I am sure GT remembers all 3 of them.

Fly Safe Everyone..!!

Gary Pols:ok: