PDA

View Full Version : Is there going to be any jobs left for me? :(

AWACS_bhoy
3rd May 2008, 18:11
Hi guys I am new to the forum as you can see, this is only my first post so hello to you all.

I知 17 years old and living it up in "sunny" Scotland. I am due to start Initial Officer Training in the Royal Air Force on November 16th 2008 and upon successful completion, progression on to my 2cnd phase of training to become a Fighter Control Officer (no mole jokes please) lol.I have signed a PC (permanent commission) so I値l be discharging when I am 40 if all goes well.

It has always been a life long ambition of mine to become an airline pilot and I still intend to capture this dream, but I have my concerns.

Will an airline take me on at 40?i currently hold a PPL and IMC with around 220 hours under my belt. I intent to continue flying, in my spare time, while I am in the RAF and progress through the training syllabus i.e. next step ME rating, then on to CPL and ATPL, so that I can hopefully walk in to a cockpit job when I discharge from the RAF. Is this a good idea or will I be wasting my money? What are the alternatives?

Any help you boys and girls can give me would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Mercenary Pilot
3rd May 2008, 18:22
Even 6 months is a very long time in aviation terms, so worrying about what the next 23 year will bring is totally pointless.

Enjoy your new career and the flying in your spare time. There are lot's of pilot's who started at 40 so don't let that bother you ether. There are many many many threads on that subject if you are just looking for some reassurance, just do a search.

:ok:

3Greens
3rd May 2008, 19:42
If your dream is to be an Ailine pilot then why are you joining the RAF as a fighter controller?
Why not ditch the RAF and get on the seniority list 22 years early...

AWACS_bhoy
4th May 2008, 13:09
Because i can't afford to train myself atm in one go so i tried to get in to the RAF as a multi engine pilot but i failed my medical,my 6ft 4" frame was a bit too big for their aircraft,3mm too tall in the sitting height,but i still want the forces lifestyle and right now that appeals to me more than flying.

EK4457
4th May 2008, 13:59
If you want the forces lifestyle, then how can you say it's your life long ambition to be an airline pilot? The lifestyles are not even close. Two very different ball games!

As for not being able to afford an ATPL(f) at the age of 17. Errr, not many others do either! Work and save for 5 years. I know the ripe old age of 22 seems old to you, but it aint. Probably still a bit young if you ask me.

What's the market doing in 23 years? As has been said before, we don't know whats going to happen next month. However, if you want me to stick my neck out, I'd say that a low hour 40 y/o has got an up hill struggle to get a first job.

Sorry if I seem a little unfair, but I just don't understand why someone who dreams of being an airline pilot signs up to the RAF for over 20 years in a non-flying role.

I tried the RAF route. They told me my eyesight wasn't good enough. Then tried to flog me some ground position. I didn't hear what it was because I was already out of the door. I suspect you stayed behind to listen to the hard sell that they usually give to those not even old enough to drink or vote. Little short of press ganging if you ask me.

If you want to be an airline pilot, save and train accordingly. If you wan't to be in the RAF, go ahead and join (sounds like you already have).

If you want to know anymore on training for an ATPL, feel free to ask me. Feel free to PM me. I'll gladly help you.

I think you need to actually decide what you want to do first.

Good luck

EK

JB007
4th May 2008, 15:00
...and with potential mergers been the name of the game, we are running out of career choice employers - by leaving it I would say you run the risk of never making it...

If to be a pilot is your dream...then why aren't you working towards it now? Modular route/start a slow ATPL groundschool...

Maximum
4th May 2008, 15:18
On the one hand you say you've always wanted to be an airline pilot, on the other you say that the miltary lifestyle appeals more to you at the moment than flying.

....erm....sorry to say it, but if you interviewed like this it's unlikely you'd get a flying job.

Also I'm always dubious about ambitions to be an 'airline' pilot - most pro pilots I know just wanted to be pilots.

How you could stand not to fly until you're forty if that's your real ambition, I don't know.

You need to do some serious soul searching, and understand that the people you will be up against for flying jobs at any age will be totally committed to that one thing.

Sorry if that all seems a bit hard or judgemental, but you need to confront these issues now or you're going to be in for a very frustrating twenty years.

Lafyar Cokov
4th May 2008, 16:12
I'm surprised the RAF let you in at all with grammar like "Is there going to be any jobs left for me"......

...... It would never have happened in my day..........:}

Maximum
4th May 2008, 23:37
I have to say that had also crossed my mind I'm afraid!!

I've also just noticed you are 17, but hold a PPL/IMC with, in your own words, 'around 220 hours under your belt.'

But.............you can't afford commercial training???????????

ooook.........how did you afford 220 hours of probably pretty useless PPL flying AT THE AGE OF 17?????? Have you any idea how few 17 year olds have 220 hours of flying, a PPL and IMC rating????

The above said with a laugh in my voice. You've got to be joking mate, or you've seriously wasted a lot of time and money.

A word of friendly advice - the people in this business who'll be giving you the job can see right through any bulls$*1t, so whatever you do, cut it out right from the start.

If you're a wind up, then I've bitten, big deal, hahah, gosh you're a real wag.

If not, are you big enough to explain yourself and benefit from the advice of those who've been there, done that???

Ball's in your court peeps.

Edited for incredulity.

Maximum
5th May 2008, 00:25
And another thing...................

Let's assume you've got 220 hours, a PPL and an IMC rating. Don't you realise that potentially if you'd spent your money wisely you could have nearly completed a modular CPL and be well on your way to being one of the youngest instructors in the country?

You do want to be a pilot don't you??

AARRRGGGHHH...........the scary mix of the early hours, too much red wine, a career in aviation with less time to go than's already past, and the weird and wonderful world of the wanabees.................:ugh:

student88
5th May 2008, 00:42
Like a lamb to the slaughter.

I suggest you do some research into how you go about getting a fATPL as from what I've read you don't seem to understand the process.

Will an airline take you on at 40? In my opinion no.

And finally:

Q: Why is it bad to tell mole jokes?
A: It's mole-itically incorrect
Q: What is a mole's favorite movie?
A: The Green Mole
Q: What do you get when you have a bunch of moles acting like idiots?
A: A bunch of Moleasses
Q: What line from Shakespeare do high school moles have to memorize?
A: "To mole or not to mole, this is the question."
Q: What happens when a mole bites a dog?
A: He becomes Moleicious!

S88:ok:

Maximum
5th May 2008, 12:08
Any thoughts on our advice AWACS_bhoy?

Not here to slate you, just interested in helping if you're genuine.

student88
5th May 2008, 15:42
and you need to change your opinion as it is wrong

It does exactly what it says on the tin - it's just an opinion. I never said it was right or wrong. They are just my thoughts on the subject. This is a forum after all, isn't it pilotmike?

If you submitted your CV with no previous flying job, at the age of 40 at my employing airline, I can near as dammit say that you won't get offered a job.

Come on, let's be realistic!

Maximum
5th May 2008, 15:57
Also, AWACS asked specifically if he'd get an airline job at 40. While nobody can predict the future, based on the contradictory aspects of his flying to date and his career plan, then 'no' would appear to be more likely than yes, would it not.

FL370 Officeboy
5th May 2008, 16:01
I was in a very similar situation. Offered a Fighter Controller comission in the RAF after schoarships/bursaries etc but one night alarm bells started ringing as I'd always wanted to be an airline pilot. The next day I went into the office and told them I wanted to go home. Years on and here I am.

It was horribly difficult to do but you'll know what you want. Think of yourself....don't worry about letting the RAF down......you are but a number :)

student88
5th May 2008, 16:19
You can't have everything in life. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to benefit the future. There are lots of things that I want to do in life however I know that in the long run I won't be happier doing anything else.

Is this a classic example of having one's cake and eating it?

(edit due typo)

student88
5th May 2008, 17:13
However I reasoned that it would be more helpful for him to be told the truth "yes" as this is factually correct, confirmed by recent recruitment at various UK airlines recently.I naively assumed that he might be seeking a factually correct answer.His question was "Will an airline take me on at 40" (assuming he's got an fATPL). Your answer, "yes". Now I may be wrong but I'm interpreting all of the above to say "You will be offered a job at 40".

I don't think it's fair to build this young mans hopes up. I'd rather enter the job market at 40 with the realistic vision that I may not get a job than to enter it after being told by someone on a forum that I will get a job. The person who's prepared for rejection will take the bad news much better than the person who has spent the last 23 years 'knowing' that he'll be successful.

confirmed by recent recruitment at various UK airlines recentlySo you're saying that whats recently happened in the industry will be a true reflection of whats going to happen in 23 years time?

I think it's best I let most of your previous statements speak for themselves.

BerksFlyer
5th May 2008, 17:38
This is a really pointless arguement.

Will I get a job at 40?

More like: How long's a piece of string?

The more important factor in this question is not age, but the person in question. Of course people have got jobs at 40 and well above. It's just a case of impressing at the interview and firstly having an impressive CV to get you the interview.

You can't make a sweeping comment like you will or you won't.

The OP however needs to do some real soul searching, because it seems to me he isn't that bothered about flying if he's going to take an RAF commission due to wanting the lifestyle more than wanting to fly.

Mercenary Pilot
5th May 2008, 18:05
If you submitted your CV with no previous flying job, at the age of 40 at my employing airline, I can near as dammit say that you won't get offered a job.

I think you'll find that is called age discrimination and is illegal. :hmm:

student88
5th May 2008, 18:15
I understand that but it doesn't mean to say it doesn't happen. If an airline doesn't want to employ they'll find a way of getting out of it. Just because you've applied for a job it doesn't mean the company is obliged to give it to you, whoever it is - airline or supermarket!

S88

AWACS_bhoy
5th May 2008, 18:21
Guys thanks firstly for all the replies, the harsh and the nice, it is appreciated and I知 not one to storm off in the huff if I don't like what I am hearing, I take it in and do something about it.

Firstly I was left 」33,000 from my grandmother 4 years ago so about 」7000 has been spent attaining my PPL and Night rating and a further 」3000 on my IMC .Obviously to scratch 220 hours in my log book I致e had to spend a fair amount around 」3000,but I知 young and I wanted to fly so I used the money that was there so I have around 」20,000 left which I am going to use to further my flying.

The situation with the RAF is, as I previously said I have always wanted to be an airline pilot but the cost's are high. As a hobby I decided to join the air training corps just to do something aviation related. I then started really getting in to it and the military structure so I thought, how about join the RAF as a ME pilot, scrounge my training off them then head off to the airlines. But the more and more I got used to the structure and way of life of the military the more I wanted it so when I was told I was too tall to be a forces pilot I thought I値l still join the RAF and get all the benefits and way of life then later in life I can join an airline that way I get to live two dreams (greedy I know but who doesn't want to live their dream?) Right now I can honestly say I want the RAF more than flying but I still want to be a pilot whether it's an instructor or an airline pilot LATER in life.

You are all saying I should get out and work and save up the required funds, I understand that but maybe you are forgetting I will actually be getting paid in the RAF so I will be saving. I know there are plenty of schemes out there etc but I will never ever take out any sort of loan no matter what it is for, I am dead set against it so I am going to be doing it the hard way and self funding.

Any further advice is gratefully appreciated.

Mercenary Pilot
5th May 2008, 18:32
Well I've got to say all the credible airlines I know of, employ pilot's of all ages. By not employing anyone aged 40+, they are ruling out a wealth of talented pilot's who have some priceless life experience. This often translates into positive feedback when CRM and command assessments are considered.

Anyway, this subject has been done to death so I'm bowing out before the lock/merge.

:ok:

AWACS_bhoy you have a PPL and 220 hours. With 」20,000 you could probably do your ATPL's, CPL and IR! With that completed you could go airline job hunting. :)

student88
5th May 2008, 18:40
All I can say is that there is no certain answer. You may or may not be successful in getting a job weather it be airline or instructor. You just can't tell. It's impossible to see what the industry will be doing in 23 years time. It's a chance you're going to have to take if you're certain about living both your dreams.

If you've got 20K at the age of 17 you're in a much better financial position than most wannabes and I'm sure you'll use that to your advantage!

Right now I can honestly say I want the RAF more than flying - if thats how you feel then I'd suggest you concentrate on giving the RAF your all. Sometimes it's best to concentrate on the things that inspire you the most. Doesn't mean to say you can't continue your flying whilst you're working.

S88

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th May 2008, 18:52
I've heard many different things about peoples career choices over the years. This one would rank as one of the most odd. You've spent 」13k on basic flying training and GA flying at the age of 17 and you've signed up for a full service RAF commisioned role that is ground based all because you desire to be an airline pilot.

Fair enough. No criticism. You are unusual and have sparked an ill tempered debate - no harm in that, they are often the most informative.

Lets just clear up the age thing. Decades ago some airlines with long seniority lists wanted recruits to do 15 years in the RHS and then 15 years in the LHS and thus have a fully rounded career. Zip forward to today and the picture is very different. You've got a large and fast growing fractional jet scene where acne and youthful looks ain't what the client is looking for. You've got most of the LoCo's who just want a name, a telephone number and not to pay for your type rating or give you a pension. If they get 5 years out of your they've had plenty of return on their very limited investment. If you were 55 they might think twice - 40 is nothing.

You've also got the age discrimination law which was a massive change last year that most people totally missed or massively underestimated. It is now just as illegal to not employ you because of your age as it would be because you are black or gay or Muslim or female or disabled or a member of a trade union.

I think you've taken a meandering and wasteful path to an airline job thus far and I am highly concerned about your decision to join the RAF as an 18yr old fighter controller. Do you know much about the trade and its future and your service career prospects?

I wish you well.

Maximum
5th May 2008, 18:53
Ok, deep breath, here goes.....

(First a quick aside.....funny how some posters seem to think their opinions are actually facts while ours remain simply opinions! But anyway, that's for another day).

AWACS, great you replied. Still don't quite understand your figures - under 」14 an hour for your hour building - wow! And with hindsight, that 」33000 would have gone a long way to getting you an fATPL and very near your dream already. There you go.

But hey, you've still got 」20000 - at your age this is such a leg up into professional flying. A little work in something that you don't have to sign your life away for and you'll be qualified at a very young age. This means a huge advantage in experience and seniority down the line.

I'll be blunt though. You're so well placed to make your flying dream come true and yet you seem reluctant to make it happen. In my book that means you don't want it enough. Simple as that.

By the time you're forty you could have thousands of hours on jet aircraft, be a Captain, perhaps a training Captain even (all dependant on aptitude and a good dose of luck of course). Or........you could be coming out of the RAF and starting to look for a job. If you get one, a lot of the Captains you fly with will be younger than you and have far more experience than you could dream of...........

In summary, it's your choice, as it should be. But for anyone who loves flying, one dream seems so out of balance with the other. No harm to fighter controllers or anything, but it's not like you're saying your other dream is to be in the Royal Marines or SAS..................now that I could understand more.

Only you can tell..............

(I still have a problem understanding your finances, but that's another thing).

Artie Fufkin
5th May 2008, 19:02
Good grief, a man from "north of the border" not wanting to pay for flight training? Whatever next?

:E

AWACS_bhoy
5th May 2008, 19:03
(I still have a problem understanding your finances, but that's another thing).

One of my friends from school who is joing the RAF as a pilot (we are due to start IOT 10 weeks apart) his dad is one of the chief exec's for shell so he's minted anyway he is a PPL flyer and has his own piper Cherokee so getting a shot of that is simple and cheaper but obviously I have had to fork out hire charges at some point at one point I was paying 」140 an hour each time I wanted to go up so to be honest my maths may be slightly out but I guess 」13,000 is a good estimate

Maximum
5th May 2008, 19:13
」3000 becomes 」13000.........as the man once said, never let the facts get in the way of a good story!

I'm not being sarcastic AWACS, just it's hard to give you a balanced opinion when the goalposts keep moving!!

Anyway, we could start going round in circles.

Personally, I would take myself off on a long walk, and think about which dream I couldn't live without. Imagine that whichever one you pick, you can't have the other. Don't think about other people like parents, friends, god forbid even ppruners.........it's your life.............try to be honest with yourself.

Good luck.

AWACS_bhoy
5th May 2008, 19:21
"I think you've taken a meandering and wasteful path to an airline job thus far and I am highly concerned about your decision to join the RAF as an 18yr old fighter controller. Do you know much about the trade and its future and your service career prospects?"

To be honest I confuse the hell out of myself sometimes. I am the kind of person that gets an idea in their head then tries to act straight away on it, but with regards to the RAF I have taken a very different approach because to be fair its a dangerous job and the threat of me being killed during my service and never making the cockpit job has crossed my mind many times.

I have no regrets about the money I have spent so far on flying because I have loved every second of it and would do it all over again if I could.
As far as fighter control is concerned I didn't put it down as my second choice and then go on to accept it not knowing anything about it, come on I know I知 Scottish but I知 not that stupid! I have had various visits to Boulmer and Waddo even getting the chance to go through some basic scenarios on the simulators and although it isn't as exciting as flying I still get a real buzz from it and enjoy it. As far as career prospects and opportunities go, how many airline pilots do you know that get to experience half as much as any serviceman or woman? No two days in the forces are the same and that's what appeals to me, civilians have life experiences soldiers experience life.

AWACS_bhoy
5th May 2008, 19:23
"」3000 becomes 」13000"

it's a pitty your reading skills weren't as good as your maths skills,if you had read my previous posts you would have seen the breakdown:

」7000 on PPL + 」3000 on IMC + 」3000 on general flying = 」13,000

student88
5th May 2008, 19:52
AWACS_bhoy,

It sounds to me like you've made up your mind already. Do some more thinking, be decisive and make a decision - it's only your time you'll end up wasting.

with regards to the RAF I have taken a very different approach because to be fair its a dangerous job and the threat of me being killed during my service and never making the cockpit job has crossed my mind many times.

Do you not think that could happen working for an airline? I'm sure I don't have to remind you of recent events where it's not gone quite to plan. Have you thought about what you would do if you were to lose your medical because in all honesty - that's just as likely/if not more likely to happen than you getting killed in service with the RAF!

S88

AWACS_bhoy
5th May 2008, 20:02
Have you thought about what you would do if you were to lose your medical because in all honesty - that's just as likely/if not more likely to happen than you getting killed in service with the RAF!

i don't quite understand the point you are trying to make,that sounds like a negative point to going commercial? :S

student88
5th May 2008, 20:31
Yeah, it's as easy as that! :rolleyes:

AWACS_bhoy, no it's not a negative point to going commercial - it's just a fact of life. A chance that any pilot takes.

S88

Training Risky
5th May 2008, 20:41
Do you like working in enclosed spaces?
Are you allergic to the Sun?
Are you fascinated by flashing Christmas Tree lights?
Do you resemble a mole?
Are your closest friends Albinos?

If the answers to the above questions are YES....

...Join the RAF Fighter Control Branch!

Post all enquiries to:

Sqn Ldr I C Bogies
RAF Royston Vasey
Outer Hebrides
Scotlandshire

:E:E:E

EK4457
6th May 2008, 08:58
Goodness me. This thread has become even more ridiculous.

Firstly, with bollocks maths, it's impossible for us to give any serious advice. AWACS bhoy, you seem to be a confused lad.

it's a pitty your reading skills weren't as good as your maths skills,if you had read my previous posts you would have seen the breakdown:

」7000 on PPL + 」3000 on IMC + 」3000 on general flying = 」13,000

Now, say 50 hours for PPL and 20 hours for IMC means you have spent 150 hours 'general flying' (220-50-20=150). You say this cost 」3000.

3000/150= 」20 per hour. It would appear that it is your maths skills that leave a little to be required.

Secondly, after you claim that you can't afford an ATPL at 17, it turns out that you are actually the only 17 y/o that I have ever known that CAN! If it is you dream to become an airline pilot and you get 」34k in your lap, there should be no decision to be made. Especially since you can get hour building done for 」20 per hour!:eek:

Thirdly, the age thing has been done to death. Yes people get taken on in their 40's. No it isn't very common, in fact quite difficult. Yes, you probably will have a family to look after then. No, you will not be as flexible. If that's the way it works out, then so be it, but I certainly would not plan it that way.

Finally,

No two days in the forces are the same and that's what appeals to me, civilians have life experiences soldiers experience life.

Been reading the glossy brochure?

Moral has never been lower. Living conditions never worse. Living in a bunk bed and eating in a mess tent.

I see the Armed Forces marketing dept is working well.

EK

Exhibitz
6th May 2008, 10:08
My word, is this topic still droaning on. It is the same as any job, a friend recently finished a 5 year course, doing dentistry, he comes out and has to apply for vocational training at a practice. On the open day for one of the practices there were over 150 people, for just ONE place. Welcome to the real world, just get your training done then worry about it, people retire and leave companies weekly, just focus on your training!!!

As for going to the RAF, well, if you want to be a commercial pilot ultimately in my honest opinion you're wasting your time. Nowadays you're tied to the RAF for a reasonable length, the training is nothing alike, and once you leave you still have to go on conversion courses and pay all the fees to fly commercial planes!

Maximum
6th May 2008, 13:41
EK4457 - I'm glad someone else has seen the confusion in AWACS-bhoy's maths (as he presents it). I felt it would be a little churlish and petty to start defending myself over the comment from AWACS about my reading skills!

If you're still there AWACS-bhoy, better to play the ball than the man eh?

You're in a fantastic position to become a professional pilot if that's what you really want, and if of course you have the skills required. Don't blow it or you'll look back in twenty years with huge regret.

As a slight aside, it's interesting you've chosen to comment on the sums, but have failed to discuss most of the other points that have ben raised. The important ones, you know, about what you really want!

You wouldn't be the first and you won't be the last to find this kind of decision difficult. And of course I may be entirely wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if you're thinking about what other people will think about your decision. Make it for yourself. Don't worry what other people will think of you. Do what you feel is right for you. Whatever that is.

AWACS_bhoy
6th May 2008, 17:42
well all I can say is it's a good job I am not going to uni to do maths although I do have a B at advanced higher maths lol.

right you are all equally correct, I can now see that I am confused and uncertain about what I want I do want the forces but I do want the cockpit job. What if I was to go NCA for 5-10 years then go do my professional flight training? is this a better option? If I do decide to do this is it better/cheaper to train in the states? Again I want to reiterate I do not want to take out any sort of loan in any shape or form.

student88
6th May 2008, 18:07
AWACS_bhoy,

I suggest you read this before you ask any more questions:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649

Hopefully you can answer a lot of your questions yourself by reading the linked threads.

S88

maxdrypower
6th May 2008, 18:18
This is a bit ludicrous now. You claim to have enough cash to do an ATPL , you claim you want to be in the cockpit . However with this lifelong dream , bearing in mind you have only been a sentient being for about 15 ,that is only 17 years you have now elected to join the raf and sit in a dark room for 20 yrs :hmm::hmm:
Look matey , if you truly have the money do it now , if that is what you want , and to be honest the evidence supporting that isnt exactly strong. If not get a job and save up or at least look at other options . CTC for example partial sponsorships etc etc .
But DO NOT !!!!!! commit to a long commision in the arse farce if that is not what you want to do , twenty years in the pitch black surrounded by sand is not condusive to happiness , unless you WANT to do it ! You want to be an airline pilot remember

AWACS_bhoy
6th May 2008, 18:44
Thanks guys all of you for all of your help and opinions i think it boils down to me not knowing what i want.It's up to me now to decide what i want,so i'm going to have to go solo on that one.Once again thanks and if a mod could close this thread now it would be appreciated.

Maximum
6th May 2008, 20:27
.......cor, not fair AWACS_bhoy............I feel really frustrated now, like I've fallen asleep and missed the end of the movie!

Another quick question for you to ponder......if you could join the RAF, but not as a fighter controller, would you still do it? Seems to me the answer to that might be quite important to you.

Anyway, at least get back to us when you've made a decision.....please?

Prophead
6th May 2008, 21:15
Go for the airlines now and join the RAF reserves.

It would be better to do the RAF part time and be paid an airline salary than doing the airline training on an RAF salary.

Rollerboy
7th May 2008, 10:55
AWACS

My opinion for what it's worth:

Delay the Commission and go away to university grow older and wiser. After three or four years enjoying yourself and furthering your prospects make an informed decision:

If it's RAF Fighter Controller then convert to a short term Commission. Believe me after a few years of Controlling you will be wishing you were flying. I know, I've been there with the Army. All those nights away from home on Ops will give you the chance to save for your airline career.

If after few years at university you decide to go the airline route start applying for the sponsorships of the time. I know aviation is going through a bad patch at the moment but as we all know it's cyclical, who knows by the time you are 22 they may be crying out for pilots.

Whatever decision you make in the end please think about what you want out of life if it's is both Officer lifestyle and Airline pilot go for the Short Term Commision.

Hope it helps PM me if you want.

Roller

AWACS_bhoy
8th May 2008, 17:17
Delay the Commission and go away to university grow older and wiser

University is a very very BIG no no! I have spent 13 years in an educational institute and im not about to spend another four. I am not the most academic person I have got the grades required and I could go to uni with them but I prefer to learn by doing I cannot sit and take notes during a 3 hour lecture on what Shakespeare is trying to say through Mac Beth, to be honest I壇 rather become a pongo.

Another quick question for you to ponder......if you could join the RAF, but not as a fighter controller, would you still do it?

the answer is yes i had 6 choices down on my app in order of preference they were FCO,ATCO,Intelligence Officer,Flight Ops Officer,NCOa and Regiment officer.

I have come to a decision and it's the only one I can see myself doing right now and that is to change my PC to a SSC ,experience life as a FC and then decide whether to extend my commission or whether to do my professional flight training, that way I will have the RAF experience whilst getting paid and be able to save for my flying

JB007
8th May 2008, 17:52
My first impression was "by eck the lads only 17" but at 17 I wanted to be a pilot and stuck to it...

AWACS_bhoy; You have 20k in the bank / you're about to accept a career in the RAF for which you plan on serving for the next 23 years and save for your flying training because you want to be an airline pilot...

Firstly, I've been working in UK airlines for nearly 20 years now, and it aint the industry it was when I joined in 1991...the next 23 years...well, who knows, but i'd hazard a guess at alot less airlines than we have now!

Secondly, you write with a degree of intelligence, but you're a fruitcake - I would take that advice of a long long walk before doing anything else...

Sorry, not helpful I know, but this is just plain and simple, bloody odd!!!

maxdrypower
8th May 2008, 18:37
I cant believe that anyone who claims to want to be an airline pilot actually believes he is intelligent enough to do so when he puts RAFREGO as a career choice before actually going into flying training , in fact such is his desire to fly that he actually puts four ground trades in front of an airborne one :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:
Methinks big wind up , if it aint then I think the regiment would love to meet him , thats is he can put himself through another period of sitting in lecture theatres , I seem to remember them doing that at Cranwell

AWACS_bhoy
8th May 2008, 19:08
Ok I appreciate opinions and advice but there is a line. This is not a wind up do you honestly think I would come on a professional forum like this to wind someone up? To be honest I wish it was a wind up because then I wouldn't have to be making such a big decision.

With regards to uni and education, who can honestly say they found studying English fun? I bet there is very few. I have no problem whatsoever studying and putting in effort for something I enjoy. I have a B at advanced higher maths, now anyone with a "cant be bothered" attitude will not get anywhere near sitting the course never mind a result. I enjoyed maths in fact it was my favourite subject so therefore I listened and worked hard at it as I do with everything im interested in, so before you even consider saying that I would not have a real go at it, try listening.

The reason I have put 4 ground trades before a flying one is 1.i was too tall for commissioned aircrew 2.I may have a passion for flying but I am not desperate that I would throw away a commission for it when I wouldn't even be in the cockpit and finally RAFREGO was a fallback.

I started this thread with a view to a simple answer but even that has proved too difficult for some people to grasp. I am confused and I have admitted it. Many different views from friends and families pushed me on to a forum looking for so called "professional" advice but instead I get people thinking this is all a big joke, it certainly is not!

EK4457
8th May 2008, 20:42
The final insult is to critisize our advice after posting some of the most bizzare threads I've ever seen. It's not anybody elses fault if you come across as a bit of a clown (which you do).

There has been some very good advice given on this thread by some very experienced people. Listen to it. And if people think you are a bit of a joke, you need to think why.

EK

AWACS_bhoy
8th May 2008, 20:58
I have taken in the advice of everyone, as I said before I welcome criticism as it's something to build upon and work with, but there are a few who maybe have not been in a similar position not necessarily this exact one, but one which requires a lot of thought, and help from others, and all they seem to do is doubt and condemn.

I know that I have not been the clearest of people and that is down to the fact I am confused and now with some of the responses on here I feel even more confused am aware that some of you age very high calibre and experience people and I respect that, but I was looking for advice and found it in small quantities as the majority got caught up in the minor details.

Again I値l ask for a moderator to close this thread as it's not getting anyone anywhere.

maxdrypower
8th May 2008, 21:04
Has a law been passed recently that Universities can only offer English as a subject choice????????? So you dont like Macbeth , well hay heres a thought study something else YAY!!! Result ! You have a passion for flying , excellent but your not willing to throw away a commision for it ????? Doesnt sound very passionate to me . Commisions are not the be all and end all .
Last bit of advice I think anyone should offer you . At almost every interview for flying jobs especially ab-initio , Sponsorships , part sponsorships , JN Somers Scholarships , CTC , RAF etc etc etc one of the criteria they always have is " Must have passion for aviation and how can you evidence this ?"
I dohbt very much the reply "Yeh im really passionate about it and I can afford to do it independantly but Im gonna wait and see if I get FC then ATCO then NCOa then RAFREGT then whatever etc etc and if I cant get them I ll wait till im forty then give it a bash , you see if that aint evidence of passion I dont know what is .
You go mate no one I know at Flight school who has given up everything and gone into debt living in caravans and eating Tesco value beans to achieve their goal has nearly as much passion as you . youll go far

AWACS_bhoy
8th May 2008, 21:32
It's comments like above that are unnecessary, if I had wanted a someone to have a dig I would of asked for it, but instead I asked for help and got it from a minority, thank you to those few. I have explained myself countless times but people still keep saying the same things and I can't understand why?

I can see your point about "throwing it away" as you so elegantly put it, but do you not think that to turn down the RAF now that I would be "throwing it away"? I don't know how many of you have been through the RAF's selection process but I wouldn't say it was easy, so to through away a job offer in order to train as for another with no guarenteed job at the end seems a little silly if you think about it.some of you have said you had to wait several years after competition of your training to get a job, how did you survive being in debt for those years? Because I would really like to know because that seems like the biggest worry to me right now. I do not want to get in to debt at anytime in my life let alone at the start of it.

You have all had to make similar decisions at some point to get to where you are just remember that.

JB007
8th May 2008, 21:54
...so to throw away a job offer in order to train for another with no guarenteed job at the end seems a little silly if you think about it.some of you have said you had to wait several years after competition of your training to get a job, how did you survive being in debt for those years? Because I would really like to know because that seems like the biggest worry to me right now. I do not want to get in to debt at anytime in my life let alone at the start of it.

Well, that's the real difference isn't bhoy! That's EXACTLY what's set YOU apart from US pilots and ALL the other guys/gals on this forum undergoing Pro Pilot Training...the reason you've created some of the reactions you have! The difference between wanting it so so badly against it just been a chore and something you are scared of...you may have just answered your own question;

You have a PPL - if you still don't want it that badly now, you probably 'aint gonna get to the top of the mountain anyway...don't waste your time or money...enjoy your basic training!

colette
8th May 2008, 23:32
Hey AWACS_bhoy,

I just wondered, it says you're only 17, and sure the last time I had a look through lasors you had to be 17 for PPL issue, so... assuming you passed in say approx 60 hours or something, you now have over 220 hours was it, plus have completed an IMC rating too. Thats a heck of alot of flying in less than a year, and living and flying in scotland too, I know the weather especially at the start of this year has been awful and certainly the flying club im with anyway havent had too many flyable days until recently. So at the same time as building those hours, being at school and gaining a B in advanced higher maths, thats a pretty tight and hectic schedule!!

(again apologies I could be wrong, you could have done many hours with ATC etc whatever im sure I will corrected if Ive picked it up wrong:rolleyes: )

But my point anyway, you've obviously worked hard to build your hours while being at school etc and obviously love flying as you must have had to dedicate all your weekends/holidays to do it. Your first post states that it has been your lifelong ambition to become an airline pilot... well you're in a fantastic position to do that right now!! Forget 20 years time!

No one knows what the markets going to be like then so no one can tell you a definite yes or no as to whether you will get a job or not.

I do sympathise that you're confused about which road to take and 17 is still young to make such a life changing decision, but at the the same time its what YOU want to do that counts, it doesnt matter what anyone on heres opinion is, or your family/school etc, do what option you feel you would be happiest in.

I think thats the only reason folk on here are getting frustrated as it stated in your post that an airline pilot is your lifelong ambition, and with 220 hours/IMC/good grades and only 17, I think you're post should have been titled 'Can anyone recommend a good school for CPL/IR?' not something about airline jobs when you're in your forties!!

Anyway I dont know if thats been any help whatsoever but I hope you make the right decision and it all works out in the end :)

tom_a
8th May 2008, 23:59
After reading this post I can't believe the negative and bitterly pedantic attitude taken by some people regarding a simple advice-seeking question.

My advice to you AWACS , is that this site is only one source of "help" with regard to becoming a pilot and take everything on this site with a pinch of salt. Do more research elsewhere to get a better understanding of the industry/job.

I think its difficult for someone rejected from becoming a military pilot (for whatever reason). As they are the type, who wants the military lifestyle (sports, adventure, etc) and also wants to fly.
Its a hard decision what alternate future to choose. In reality, you can't have anything, and you have to choose one dream, don't count on getting the other.
You are naive to be thinking about what you will be doing at 40. You should only really think about 10yrs ahead.

Im in a similar position to you and am going for the business jet pilot dream. After literally 6years (at college and uni) of thinking, have I decided I want the pilot dream, and will let the miltary lifestyle dream of adventure go.

If the loan is the main thing putting you off becoming a pilot, then I would say don't worry about it. As you get older you realise more the importance and need for loans. You can't always have the money at hand when you want/need it.
It may seem scary with all scaremongering going around these days about debt, but it is manageable for someone on a good salary and good with money/saving. I like to think for the 」10-20K you over-pay the banks in interest, the high salary, exciting job and lifestyle will more than make up for it.

Good luck with whatever you do, don't make rash decisions and leave your options open.

EK4457
9th May 2008, 17:49
Tom a

I can't believe the negative and bitterly pedantic attitude taken by some people regarding a simple advice-seeking question.

Simple is exactly what it is not. Confused, illogical, nonsense or naieve. Even bollocks. But not simple. And trust me, he is getting very good and truthful advice. It's just not quite what he wanted to hear.

Colette, a very good point. It is very tight to fit in an IMC and over 150 hours into one of the worst winters for years. Especially for a 17 y/o at school. Very tight. And 」20 per hour. Wet. You would be forgiven for thinking he's talking bollocks. Which he is, of course.

The reason people (myself included) have responded with quite forceful views is because we have all been there, know how difficult it is, and don't want someone to make the mistake of 'missing out' when they are in a near perfect position to realise their dream. However, we all made one assumption. That AWACS bhoy is being truthful. A little confused and potty, but ultimately truthful. Well, I suspect he is not. And in doing so, wasting our time.

AWACS bhoy, if you are being honest, you are a loon. An extermely rich, fortumate one who flys more often than all the full time instuctors I know (for 」20 per hour) whilst still at school. But still a loon. If youre lying, you are sad. 23 years in a dark room is probably the best thing for you.

EK

AWACS_bhoy
9th May 2008, 18:14
Colette and Tom a thank you so much I was about to give up all hope with people on this forum, but now I know there are people out there who are actually willing to help.

with regards to the hours I致e clocked up I took 52 hours to complete my PPL,I have done 2 different flying scholarships with the ATC both the ACPNS (Air Cadet Pilot Nav.) and the standard ACPS (Air Cadet Pilot) so that equates to 25 hours, then I am also a flight staff cadet with 12 AEF at RAF Leuchars where I have got 1 hour of flying every Sunday for the last 9 months, well minus a couple of Sundays for obvious reasons. Then for the first 6 weeks after I completed my PPL I flew every Saturday morning usually 2 hours at a time because all I wanted to do was fly as soon as I had got my wings. So hopefully that will clear up any doubts as to how I have got such a high number of hours to date.

If the loan is the main thing putting you off becoming a pilot

Yes tom it is the biggest thing I have always been so careful with money- (wait for it "so careful?" you've wasted 」13K on pointless flying) I can almost put 」13K on who I think will be the first person to criticise this claim-but yea I don't want to be in debt at such an early stage of my life.

I think its difficult for someone rejected from becoming a military pilot (for whatever reason).

It is pretty gutting to be told something like that. The reason was I was too tall in the sitting height therefore was deemed unfit for commissioned aircrew.

Thanks again Colette and Tom for being understanding and actually realising I was asking a simple question, I appreciate it.

Maximum
9th May 2008, 18:40
AWACS, if I may, the reason you are a catalyst for hostile posts is that ultimately we can't see your problem. It's something you've invented for yourself.

Look - you're incredibly young and yet you already have bags of flying.

You say that your ambition has always been to be an airline pilot.

Then you tell us you've got just about enough money to self-finance your CPL/IR right now!!

If you really want to be a pilot, then do it!!

Back in the days when people could come up for a cockpit visit there was a particular type who'd appear every now and then...the "I wanted to be a pilot but never got the chance like you guys" type. The implication being that somehow we'd been handed this wonderful job on a plate. With a little digging of course you usually found they'd been in a better position to be a pilot initially than us sitting there doing the job - but the point is - they didn't do it! But still they'd bleat on "if only I'd got the chance......" Of course, there are those to whom this genuinely does apply, but I'm trying to make a point, so bear with me.

And that is? Well, to try and demonstrate to you why we're getting irritated. We don't like people saying they've always dreamed of being a pilot when it's obvious to us that's not quite true.

Let me put it another way. Those of us earning a living as pilots know how hard it is to get here on the whole (always one or two jammy stories).

There's a certain assumption in your question that all you have to do is want to be an airline pilot and it'll happen. That's how it comes across. And generally it's just not the way things work.

There may not be an airline job for you in twenty years. That's why, if you really, really want to be a pilot, then common sense dictates that you can't possibly wait. The chances are, if you wait, you won't be an airline pilot. That's how life is. You get knocked off course by factors out of your control.

Sort of like wanting to be a rock musician but deciding to be an accountant for twenty years first.

It just plain and simple makes no sense.

Certainly not to those of us who've been through the whole thing.

Maximum
9th May 2008, 19:07
And sorry, but I'm even more confused about your hours.

EK4457
9th May 2008, 19:11
AWACS bhoy - youre right to put the 13k on me saying that. Thats because it is so obvious. You have wasted that money. Bizzare.

Why are you banging on about a loan? You don't need to get a loan. You have, apparantly, got 」20k in the bank. More than enough. Bizzare.

The hours you have given only come out to around 120 or so (52+25+30+12). 100 hours short of the 220 you claim. Bizzare.

:ugh:

EK

EK4457
9th May 2008, 19:17
And one more thing. Tom a and Colette are offering the same advice as everyone else. They are just a bit more PC.

JB007
9th May 2008, 19:56
Good, honest posts from experienced people like Maximum and EK4457

This is total bull - I'm leaning towards a wind up...or someones pipe dream!

VNA Lotus
10th May 2008, 10:09
pprune forum

AWACS_bhoy
10th May 2008, 18:54
Why are you banging on about a loan? You don't need to get a loan. You have, apparently, got 」20k in the bank. More than enough. Bizarre.
I need to do IR,CPL,ATPL,ME and MCC correct? Surely 」20k can't cover all of that?

The hours you have given only come out to around 120 or so (52+25+30+12). 100 hours short of the 220 you claim. Bizarre.
above is correct and those 100 hours or so have come from hiring out aircraft and split flying cost with my friend, the one mentioned earlier, who痴 father owns a piper Cherokee.

Its clear to see now after having though about it alot,that I obviously do not want to be an airline pilot as badly as I once did, why not? I don't know, but from the replies I have been getting, stating how I should be feeling then I can confidently say that I do not have the burning ambition that I once did.

If I am wasting people's time then why do those same people continue to reply to this thread?

And Wilky get a grip if you have nothing constructive to say then don't say it at all, because it's a waste of my time.

EK4457
10th May 2008, 19:20
I still don't get your hours. But I've given up on that.

A quick breakdown:

ATPL: 2K
CPL/ME: 」6K
IR: 」11k
MCC: 」2K
Test Fees come to around 」2.5K

Total: 」23.5K.

The above is a tad prudent too. You could easily shop around and get it below 」20K. You have enough. You'd have even more if you didn't do the IMC rating. And you can earn about 」4K doing part time work during the ATPLs.

But, your last post is probably the most sense you have written yet. You are obvoiusly not bothered.

Good luck in the RAF.

EK

Put1992
10th May 2008, 22:03
How about sending some of that money this way AWACS?

Youv'e spent so much money already, and you don't even know if you want the final goal? :=

Cheers

Put

VNA Lotus
12th May 2008, 09:23
pprune forum