PDA

View Full Version : IAPs for TDPD (DOM)?

Austrian Simon
3rd May 2008, 07:56
Hello,

I urgently need the instrument approach plates for Melville Hall in Dominica and couldn't get a reply from the Eastern Caribbean AIS so far. Where could I get those plates from in a hurry? Shoot me a private message, if could help with a scan, please.

Servus, Simon

Panama Jack
3rd May 2008, 20:54
I urgently need the instrument approach plates . . .

Jeppesen?

www.jeppesen.com

Gooneyone
3rd May 2008, 22:09
DOM (Melville Hall airport) has NO instrument approach. There is a NDB at the field (Freq 273), but all approaches are visual.
PTP approach will let you descend to 7,000ft.(MSA), then you have to cancel IFR and continue VFR. One airline here does the approach at Marie Galante, if necessary, then once below the cloud base proceeds visually to DOM.
DOM is not the easiest airport, as you have to cross a ridgeline then descend in a valley to land on R/way 09 which is the one normally in use. Expect turbulence in the valley under all wind conditions.

Austrian Simon
4th May 2008, 06:39
Gooneyone,

many thanks for jumping in with your very useful information. Also thanks to halyard for the nice exchange in private basically transporting the same info.

Servus, Simon

Capt. Greaseon
17th May 2008, 01:13
I believe Eagle has a company approach based on GPS, other than that I don't know of any IAPs for Melville.

Fun approach through the valley for runway 9. Plan your base leg at or just west of "The Outer Marker"(Banana plantation that stands out from the surrounding terrain, slightly different colour) at the top of the ridge.

Austrian Simon
17th May 2008, 08:00
I believe Eagle has a company approach based on GPS ... Plan your base leg at or just west of "The Outer Marker"(Banana plantation that stands out from the surrounding terrain, slightly different colour) at the top of the ridge.

Thanks a lot, helpful info, too (I found the aiming point myself in the meantime, but good to have confirmation)!

Do you happen to have some pointers regarding the GPS approach, just out of curiosity - my urgent need has gone in the meantime. Might be fun to compare my actual flight track with the GPS programme ... ;)

Servus, Simon

gear down props forward
2nd Apr 2009, 13:22
Reviving this post...

Folks, I found this on the internet after a brief search. I believe it is an old revision of the Eastern Caribbean AIP, so do not use it for navigation.

ftp://ftp.nga.mil/pub2/Aero_../ad2_4_2_tdpd.pdf (ftp://ftp.nga.mil/pub2/Aero_esfd/FROM_ST_LOUIS/TO%20FLORIDA/Trinidad%20&%20Tobago%20eAIP%2013%20MAR%2008/ad2_4_2_tdpd.pdf)
You have an airport diagram and a terrain awareness chart within this PDF, as well as textual descriptions.

You can also find TDPD in the Caribbean Pilot's Guide (http://pilotpubl.com (http://www.pilotpub.com/)), where you can see an actual photograph of the runway.

So the consensus is that TDPD is VFR only...unless you work for Eagle.

Enjoy.