PDA

View Full Version : Reining in the 'cowboys of the sky'

punkalouver
3rd May 2008, 04:12
The Canadian Forces staff knew something wasn't right when the barbecue was lit in mid-flight.

See link for th rest of the story.

http://www.intelligencer.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1008438&auth=Luke+Hendry

FireLight
3rd May 2008, 04:50
They do sound a bit casual. ;)

I liked the bit about "aborted landing". The TNT Airways Boeing 737-300 freighter which crashed at Birmingham also had an "aborted landing" in East Midlands initially, to the extent you can be said to have one. Not as common as aborted takeoffs though.

The request was motivated by two incidents in 2007 involving Ilyushins, one of which tore down a section of base fencing during an aborted landing.

Four months after the icing incident, on the night of May 10, a Silk Way IL-76 crew tried to land at the base in heavy fog, aborting a landing attempt when the plane clipped the base fence, tearing down 50 metres of fencing. The plane landed without incident in Ottawa.

Glad no one was hurt in all of this. Another good reason for ordering the C-17's for the Canadian Armed Forces.

* (Thread Loc?)

Taxi2parking
3rd May 2008, 06:03
Good to see headquarters staff truly believe that sending an email to a cowboy operator will in anyway change their casual attitude to all these safety issues.

No doubt the HQ staff they will produce all these emails when a aircraft full of Canadian forces personnel are wiped out - which will happen eventually if they continue to save money by using the lowest bidder.

:*Duty of care anyone?

Brian Abraham
3rd May 2008, 06:14
The Ruskies operate to a completely different bible. Chap I worked with related the tale of when he was in Antarctica they had an AN-2 visit and was some what surprised to see a pot belly stove installed in the back complete with chimney out the roof and a bag of coal. Ideal for an inflight fry up I guess. A comfy chair, slippers and glass of port would complete the set up while the boys up front got on with the job.

Wizofoz
3rd May 2008, 06:20
Well, this is indicitive of some Illyshun operators view of field performance:-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=f06npwZpJJs

green granite
3rd May 2008, 07:18
Good job the Earth has a curvature :E

Agaricus bisporus
3rd May 2008, 09:28
I once accompanied some company freight in an An12. As we were taxying out for t/o the "loadmaster" came over and asked how much the cargo weighed!!!

At the en-route nightstop on a dark cargo ramp deep in Redland the crew just walked off the aircraft and left us in the cabin, saying nothing, no liason about hotac, transport, immigration, not a word, not even goodbye! We didn't even know they'd gone for 15 minutes or so.

They told us the aircraft went back to Russia for maintanance "once a year".

On arrival our destination was fogged out so they diverted to adifferent country and tried to unload us there. We had to be very insistent that they took us where we needed to go, not just somewhere "nearby" (200 miles)

Different book indeed!

Flight Detent
4th May 2008, 12:26
Hey GG...

Isn't that a requirement to operate an A340....:yuk:

Cheers...cus I don't ride in one..operate one..or even watch one try to fly!

But I do have a friend that does!!!

FD...:uhoh:

mini
9th May 2008, 21:38
Silk Way... hmmm,

seem to remember these muppets arriving late one evening into Basrah, with no flight plan filed for their exit to DXB... A/C was so grotty I took pics of it :eek: