PDA

View Full Version : Options for Air Force retiree

Wangja
3rd May 2008, 01:57
My 45-year old Korean brother-in-law is a colonel in the air force. Promoted from flying F4's to a headquarters desk he is consdiering options for retirement.

Too old to join KAL or Asiana but still wishing to fly professionally, are there realistically any doors that can be opened?

C-141Starlifter
5th May 2008, 17:23
Wang,

I think there are certainly opportunities for the Colonel. He'll have to get all the licensing issues worked out. I did it and it's wonderful. The age 65 limit also allows the Colonel 20 years of solid commercial flying, provided health stays good. I say to him go for it. Many of my USAF colleagues have done so after retirement.

Good luck to him,
Lifter

Wangja
6th May 2008, 01:24
Thanks lifter, much appreciated and I have passed it on.

He mentioned that in the military he had no "licenece" as I would understand it, but presumably there is some sort of conversion route to civilian commercial flying.

C-141Starlifter
6th May 2008, 06:09
Yes, there are conversion routes but those vary from country to country and they are more often then not, routes riddled misinformation. Of course there is a cost to these conversions, sometimes quite high!! Is he in the ROK now? Does he want to stay there?

Lifter

Wangja
6th May 2008, 07:53
Yep, he's still in RoK and in the service.

I think he'd prefer to stay here in Korea but could relocate if necessary.

Could the conversion course be done in US or Europe?

C-141Starlifter
6th May 2008, 08:43
Wow, I didn't expect you to write back so quickly.
Your question is complicated.
I know some that have done it in the US. Maybe he should look at the FAA website for advice.
Europe is a whole different ball game and it varies from country to country. He would have to deal with the JAA conversion issue. Many have done it but it come with MAJOR pain and expense. In addition to the work permit...

What about options in Asia? If he is able to get the FAA license, he might be able to get on with a carrier in Asia. Are there any cultural/historical problems with him going to an Asian carrier?

how is his English? Can he pass the new ICAO English language requirement with a level 4? Perhaps the ROK Civil Aviation Authority can guide him to an English language testing center for this test.

Should he go down this path. He needs to develop a plan. In/out of Asia, type of license FAA/JAA. Can he do some of the license testing there in ROK.
Does he have any colleagues in Commercial Airlines now than can advise him?

Good luck,
Lifter
PS: by no means am I an expert, these are just things that for me come to mind. these are also questions i ask some of my USAF colleagues that are getting out now and want to stay or go overseas.

C-141Starlifter
6th May 2008, 10:59
Wang,

Also have your brother in law check with the Aeroclub at OSAN.
www.flyosan.com (http://www.flyosan.com)
They may be able to give him some advice there locally on how to convert to an FAA license.
Lifter

Wangja
6th May 2008, 23:42
Lifter, I much appreciate your help and thank you for the time taken.

US looks the way to go and most of his family live there (including his son at school). His English, both written and spoken, is good and he did his masters at a US univerity.

Again, many thanks.