PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Flying Centre

VFR Transit
2nd May 2008, 19:44
Evening all

I am going to book my multi engine course with Bristol Flying Centre. Is it true that bristol uses call signs of "Bristol"????

Does anyone have any knowledge or any advice for this FTO???

Thanks in advance
VFR

Mercenary Pilot
2nd May 2008, 19:54
Do you mean Bristol FLYING Centre?

If so:

Is it true that bristol uses call signs of "Bristol"????

No, they use "CLIFTON"

Does anyone have any knowledge or any advice for this FTO???

They are one of the most highly rated flight schools in the UK.

:ok:

Wilton Shagpile
2nd May 2008, 20:27
I used them and they were fine although I had one of the best instuctors...Nasib. :D

Oxfordman
19th May 2008, 09:56
I am a high time pilot (6000 hours total, 2000 hours flight instructor). Most of my experience in small turboprop and Piper Chieftain aircraft. I recently contacted BFC and spoke with Roy Hitchon about an IR conversion. I was interested in the 10 sim/5 multi program. Roy was very adamant in trying to sell me an IR conversion at 10 multi/5 sim instead of the above.

I asked, "What is the average time of completion that a pilot, with experience as myself, can expect for IR conversion?" He said, "It depends on skill." That wasn't a good enough answer so I asked him again. "What can I expect to see for a completion of an IR conversion?" His response did not make any sense. He said, "American Instrument Ratings are not any good and people will have a hard time flying in the UK." It was a very negative answer.

I was very patient with Roy. In doing so, he admitted that I needed to budget for 30 hours.

I would be very careful with this school for 2 reasons. BFC markets 15 hours IR conversion. This is misleading. Also they are not confident enough, in my eyes as an experienced professional instructor, in their ability to pass people in a given and fair amount of time.

I have seen this strategy of flight schools to make money time and time again. For a school that has been around for ages, BFC must certainly have enough experience, and confidence, to complete IR conversions in a given and set time. Flight schools will entrap a student making them feel guilty about the amount of time and money spent during their course of training thereby psychologically inhibiting that student from leaving and seeking training elsewhere.

Roy specified each flight takes 1.5 hours at a cost of 370 GBP per hour. This is approximately 555 GBP per flight. That is too much money to gamble in a school that cannot give me a concrete answer. I asked him, "What if I need more time?" He said, "We'll give you a deal?"

I will not be attending this school.

Good luck with your training

jkl
19th May 2008, 10:22
Oxfordman,

You have very quickly jumped to the wrong conclusion with your assessment of BFC, they are a very good school with an excellent reputation for IR training in the U.K. Some of their instructors are first class & they can see exactly what is required to obtain a first time IR pass in min hours.

Quote: "Roy was very adamant in trying to sell me an IR conversion at 10 multi/5 sim instead of the above"

That is a no brainer, more time in the aircraft is a real bonus, regardless of your 'wealth' of experience; 5 hours to experience some of the procedures at Bristol, familiarise with the aircraft, fly a couple of routes & get up to speed for the U.K JAR IR is not enough.

BFC are not interested in trying to make max money out of you & if you are as good as you 'think' you are then you will have a IR in 15 hours, I know plenty of people who have gone through BFC in min hours with full support of the school to take the test in min hours.

Surely honesty is the best policy, Roy has tried to give you realistic advice, would it not be worse to say to you yea no probs you will be done in 15 hours no worries, but then after 20 & a failed IR test you would be quick to moan then!! Do you know how much it costs to take an initial IR test inc aircraft hire to then fail & re take? I think you will find a couple of hours extra training then a first time pass is better in the long run if you are not ready after min hours.

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th May 2008, 11:38
I am very wary of Oxfordman and his comments (which he has no made in identical form on three threads on this forum).

BFC has an excellent reputation gained over decades of customer satisfaction.

That you have chosen to castigate them three times in 24hrs on the basis of a telephone conversation with some of their instructors seems odd. Most FTO's advertise courses based on minimum hours. In fact scratch that; they all do.

That instructors tell you to budget for more than this is nothing less than commendable.

I have removed several of your duplicate posts bashing BFC. Feel free to rebut my comments here. At the moment I think you're a crank with bone to pick with BFC. Which is very probably counterproductive.

Why are you Oxfordman anyway..?

African Drunk
19th May 2008, 21:35
I was a instructor at BFC for a couple of years and got 50% of my conversion through in minimum hours. These were mainly SA, NZ and Aus licence holders and FAA pilots with experience or ratings from reputable schools.

As www has said in other posts cheap is not always good and I had FAA conversions from crap schools(often UK owners) who took more time than initial IR's. In the old days training was "as required" minimum hours are false always budget for more.

F3
19th May 2008, 23:22
I attended BFC several years ago and Nasib was my instructor. It's a superb FTO and you will enjoy it. Good luck. :)

botaxgelo
20th May 2008, 00:44
IR is intrument rating? 6000 hrs without IR?

Shipsmate
22nd May 2008, 13:04
Yeah i agree with Oxfordsman. I went there about 6 years ago and they tried taking me for more money. I got my commercial but I got out in the nic of time for the IR con.

I did that one in Spain at Aeromadrid. Excellent school!

Deano777
22nd May 2008, 13:47
:= No botaxgelo, re-read the post, he said an IR Conversion

PPRuNe Towers
22nd May 2008, 13:55
Why tell us Shipsmate?

Couldn't you just lean across to tell Oxfordman as you're on the same connection?

Rob

HappyFran
22nd May 2008, 15:10
Wow PPruNe Towers. :eek:
Had me chuckling to myself for 15 mins. :):)
Not so funny for guys at BFC. Probably feeling bit irrated..I certainly would be :ouch:
Information is power :suspect:

capt.sparrow
22nd May 2008, 20:46
I trained at BFC (go Nasib!). Min hours on IR and CPL - best bunch of guys you could ask for - Roy is just being realistic that you might need more time - although it sounds like you think you dont need training anyway:rolleyes: