PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Accommodations and the Internet (DXB)

Flyer34
2nd May 2008, 16:56
I am joining EK at the end of the month and would like to know if the temporary accommodations have cable and internet services? If not, how long does it usually take to get these services hooked up?

Thanks,
Flyer

TwinJock
2nd May 2008, 17:52
Dial-up available at any telephone line - ADSL needs some paperwork and legwork from your side. Generally quickly installed once all the paperwork is done!

Cable - not in temp accommodation! But if you end up having to stay in temp digs for 6 - 12 months, might be worth it to have it installed!

Flyer34
2nd May 2008, 22:32
Thanks for the info TJ!

mensaboy
4th May 2008, 21:55
Internet hookups are a bit of a crap shoot. My first hookup took only about a week, while the second took 13 weeks in an established area of the city. No truthful explanation was ever given to me on the second occasion. Eventually I had to sit down at some idiots desk and refuse to leave until they resolved the issue. It was rather humorous but I was persistent. (You simply cannot do your job at EK without internet service so it was starting to frustrate the hell out of me)

Dial up is even more of a ripoff than ADSL service in my opinion. Once you get settled and meet some of the brilliant, technology advanced pilots who are willing to advise you on how to circumvent Etisalets monopolistic and bizarre filtering systems (DU now as well), then things will be fine for you. Do not expect high speed though, that is basically a misnomer for what you actually receive.