PDA

View Full Version : Where does this early bird fly to?

eish
2nd May 2008, 15:10
Maybe one of you ppruners are involved in this flight and can answer.

I live in the east of Pretoria and have over the past 3 years at several occasions been awake round about 03:00 in the morning. At 03:00 (you can almost set your watch) an aircraft (sounds similar to B1900) would overfly the area at what I suspect is its cruising altitude. It seems too early for a scheduled passenger flight. Does any one know who this is - DHL/mail perhaps?

Please help so that I can :zzz: in peace.

Safetyman
2nd May 2008, 17:20
Most likely the dedicated Solenta boys/girls taking the DHL boxes to Harare..

skychick2
2nd May 2008, 17:35
The ''Safetyman'' being from Solenta himself should definately know the answer to your Q ! Hehe!

Beechdrivr
2nd May 2008, 17:43
As safetyman says it's either Solenta or maybe the namibian freight operators on the 1900 on their way to WHK.

Back in the day when i used to fly freight to WHK it was the time we used to get airborne out of JHB. Then the DHL guys were flying 208's but i know that they use 1900's now.

Ah, the good ol days of freighting. Hope that helps.

Safe flying BD:ok:

skychick2
2nd May 2008, 17:56
''Back in the day when i used to fly freight to WHK it was the time we used to get airborne out of JHB. Then the DHL guys were flying 208's but i know that they use 1900's now.''

Back in the days when I use to fly freight between Eros and Rand airport we use to use C402's and Chieftains, just shows you how the market has changed.We use to leave Eros at 07h00 land at rand 11h00. Take off again at + - 01h00, land back at Eros at 05h40. Looooong night !!

Now come one Safetyman......come clean on who's aircraft is passing over PTA East at 03hoo in the morning.........PLEASE !!

Gyro Nut
2nd May 2008, 20:35
Hi Skychick2,

I remember well, flying overloaded aircraft from Rand to Eros flying Senecas and Chieftains for Inter Trans Air Services at Rand. I remember turning out right from Rand one night off Rwy 11 and at blue line in the Seneca, I had the audible stall warning go off. We must have been so heavy for that to occur! If we lost an engine out of Rand, we would have been history.

We would take off from Rand at around 0100 and land just before 0600. Wasn't easy to keep awake. No weather radar, landing with sometimes 15 minutes of fuel in the main tanks! I even remember getting so gatvol I would fall asleep at the controls, sometimes for 1-2 hours at a time! The sun would be up when I would wake up, and then would have to adjust heading using my portable GPS for Eros (GPS's had only just been released within the last year or so). Was young and fearless then. Our accommodation at Eros was nothing short of disgusting. Would have been healthier sleeping on the floor! Would be forced to wash our aircraft as well on our off days.

How I didn't kill myself during that operation I don't know.

I remember flying Rand to Eros and back, and THEN BACK AGAIN (RAND TO EROS AND BACK AGAIN) in 1 day, without an autopilot for 2 of the 4 legs. That was 16 hours of flying in a 19 hour time period!:uhoh: I remember being so tired that I couldn't remember how to say the last letter of our registration phonetically to ATC! If only CAA knew about this then!

Think I'll stick to my B737-800 now thank you very much. Nice to fly for an outfit where the rules just are not bent. Period!

divinehover
3rd May 2008, 08:22
I'm so glad someone else asked. Always wondered the same thing whilst dealing with my post US flight insomnia.