PDA

View Full Version : The Approach Ban

DeA320
2nd May 2008, 12:03
My understanding of the Approach Ban is that if past the FAF or the Outer Marker and the Wx goes below minima then the approach can be continued to DA or MDA and a landing can be made once the criteria can be met for landing. However if the Wx is below minimas prior to starting the approach therefore the approach cannot still be started.

Is this correct or am I totally wrong.

I have tried to search the internet for appropriate documentation but can't seem to find anything relative to Eurpoe.

Thanks.:confused:

CABUS
2nd May 2008, 12:13
As far as I am aware the approach can be started in a decent to the marker or 800 feet with wx below minima, If the wx is still below minima at the marker then you must not continue. However, if at the marker the wx is above minima and you continue and it then drops below you can still continue to the DA. I was always told the ban starts and finishes at 800feet or the marker.

Hope this helps.:ok:

99jolegg
2nd May 2008, 12:18
Some info here:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202449

potkettleblack
2nd May 2008, 12:41
Your pretty much there. You CAN commence an instrument approach regardless of the RVR/VIS but CANNOT continue past the OM or equivalent position (1,000' above the aerodrome) unless the RVR/VIS is within your limits.

Where the RVR is not available then you can derive an RVR by converting the VIS.

As you say once past the OM or equivalent position and the RVR drops below minima then you can essentially "have a look". If you get the required lights etc then you can land otherwise you go around.

It is particularly important to read the NOTAMS in low viz operations as certain inop items can have a significant effect on the landing minimums eg: centreline lights u/s etc. A certain loco found this out only a few years ago at Stansted. JAA have tables of Aerodrome Operating Minimums (AOM) for these which are in my companies Jeppy text manuals and available for reference in the ships library plus in ops back on the ground before you head off. You will probably find them in the UK AIP which you can download off the net or find at your flying school.

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd May 2008, 13:18
Whilst I'm not against Wannabes asking technical questions on here its not really the point of the forum. Hence the padlock. Tech log will provide all your answers from readers who are far more likely to know what they are talking about.