PDA

View Full Version : Any Canadian's working in Oz?

UB6IB9
2nd May 2008, 06:41
Hey,

Just wondering if there’s any Canadian's on here working in Oz? I just recently found out about the working holiday visa. Anybody here have any experience with this? Would companies be willing to hire you knowing that you’re only good to them for a limited time? I’m interested in working for any of the float operators in Oz. I’m still low time sitting at 1200 TT, 600 float. I heard the airlines are hurting for guys but what about the float operators? Would it be better off to build a bit more float time before coming over to Oz?

Cheers

airman1
2nd May 2008, 06:59
With those sort of hours you will have no worries in getting a job on floats!!! An old instructor of mine got a job with only 350 hrs TT and only 40 on floats.

I honestly don’t think you would have a problem getting a job if you came at the right time of year. General aviation is screaming out for pilots, as are the airlines.

I am sure there are plenty of ppruners out there who will be able to give a bit more advice.:ok:

Good Luck

Lasiorhinus
2nd May 2008, 09:03
And the working holiday visa will let you work for a single employer for up to three months. Be up front with them, and most respectable employers will take you for three months.

There are employers out there who expect you to commit to a long-term career with their GA outfit - but you're not losing anything by not working for these companies anyway.

UB6IB9
2nd May 2008, 14:15
thanks for the replies guys...keep em coming....also one more stupid question to add. if i'm going to be targeting float operators there really won't be any need to convert my IFR right?

cheers

airman1
2nd May 2008, 20:51
Most of the flying is day VFR but you may get a few operators that have amphibious aircraft doing a bit of airport hoping!!! I wouldn’t worry about it with your experience you should be able to find some sort of work on floats.

Have you ever considered Fiji????

What aircarft have you flown on floats??

I know a few operators over there!! I have no idea what is involved in the Lic conversion. Scenery and the water is just magnificent you would have a ball.