PDA

View Full Version : Perth's New Airport Terminals

piston broke again
2nd May 2008, 02:42
Here's a link to the story from the Australian:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23630304-23349,00.html

$1b airport plan (From the West Australian)
1st May 2008, 9:30 WST
The private owners of Perth Airport have pledged to transform the much maligned facility into one of the best airports in the Asia-Pacific region in a long-awaited $1 billion plan under which the domestic and international terminals are merged within seven years.

In a blueprint which will build the case for a new airport rail link, Westralia Airports Corporation’s vision includes two airport hotels, a dedicated $100 million terminal for regional WA airlines, a multi-storey carpark connected to a new integrated terminal building and a strip of convenience stores along Horrie Miller Drive.

Everything will be contained within the existing international airport precinct, with the new domestic terminal expected to be in the area now occupied by the international terminal. The integrated terminal will be about four times the size of the existing international terminal.

This morning's public release of the $1 billion plan comes less than four weeks after Premier Alan Carpenter said Perth Airport was an embarrassment and called on owner Westralia Airports to commit to a major upgrade.

In a show of confidence that the plan would overcome the airport’s shortcomings, Perth Airport chief executive Brad Geatches claimed the $1 billion development would create a world-class hub for domestic and international travellers, delivering Perth one of the best airports in the Asia Pacific region.

Mr Geatches said the new multistorey carpark would “remove once and for all concerns about parking at Perth Airport”. The plan also makes provision for a long-term carpark, serviced by a shuttle bus.

The plan has the crucial support of Qantas, which is a pivotal player in any airport redevelopment proposal. Its lease over its domestic terminal, where the company is spending $50 million on improvements, runs until 2018.

Westralia Airports is also hoping that the release of its plan and its seven-year development timeframe will prompt the State Government to prioritise plans to upgrade the main airport access roads and further discussions for an airport rail link.

Those plans include extending Leach Highway into the new airport precinct with a bridge over Tonkin Highway to provide a second access route to Horrie Miller Drive. They also include a grade separation of Horrie Miller Drive over Tonkin Highway to improve traffic flows.

Planning and Infrastructure Minister Alannah MacTiernan said co-locating the regional, domestic and international terminals would help make the rail link proposal “do-able”.

The first stage of the $1 billion development proposal involves building a dedicated new terminal, worth about $100 million, for WA regional air services within the international precinct by 2010.

dreamjob
2nd May 2008, 03:01
They might as well build a new runway whilst they're at it!

Skystar320
2nd May 2008, 03:16
why built a new runway, its got ample room now........ just use better economical use for them1

Awol57
2nd May 2008, 08:30
Just better taxiways would help I believe.

Islander Jock
2nd May 2008, 08:31
I wonder if WAC would have been having these problems if they focused on the core business of operating an airport and not playing bazaar development games with every available inch of surrounding land to the highest bidder.

Just like Jandakot, Bankstown and Archerfield but on a grander scale:mad:

EMB120ER
2nd May 2008, 09:12
Skystar ....

They must be some good drugs!

Perth Desperatly needs a new runway to cope with the demand, your dreaming if you think there is any other workable way to fix this problem.

BrazDriver
3rd May 2008, 01:26
Well Said EMB120!

Monopole
3rd May 2008, 02:00
They had a third runway :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Anybody who has operated from/into Perth long enough would remember Taxiway W as an east west runway.

Islander Jock
3rd May 2008, 05:50
Yeah I remember departing VFR on rwy 10 between traffic using 21/03. But that was many moons ago. :{

RENURPP
3rd May 2008, 06:26
I am not local, but, I am a regular user, a new runway that would cater for the bug smashers may help.
It appears to me that these crazy speed reductions is to accommodate the slowest aircraft in the sequence. i.e. if we have a metro, Bras or dash up front we have to reduce to accommodate for them.
If these aircraft had a parallel runway and a STAR that separated them from the jets, then maybe a bit of the problem would disappear?

Brasilian Bird
3rd May 2008, 13:12
Merging the terminals and building another runway has been on the plans for quite awhile. News make it sound like WAC have only just thought of this! I remember it being on the master plan as far back as 05 (and I know much before that as well)

Agree they focus too much on other building (daycare, Woolworths, anyone??) just wondering why they couldn't have done multistorey carpark back when they built the new one down near NJS...

Aside from a 2nd way into Horrie Miller, they need one for the domestic side as well, one prang on Great Eastern Hwy and all crew on their way to work are screwed!!! Anyone remember that one late last year which held up all the flights, as the crews were stuck in traffic with no way in? Even a temporary access road behind Network could work, just open it when the main access is blocked.

EMB120ER
4th May 2008, 04:34
Well actually REN, what you mean is theat the Brasses get slowed down to cater for the BAE146 in front.

RENURPP
4th May 2008, 05:47
Well actually REN, what you mean is theat the Brasses get slowed down to cater for the BAE146 in front

We are slowed down out to 200nm these days. The 146 TAS is around 380+ Kts, 717/737 etc are around 470+ kts, the others I mentioned are flat out at maybe 300kts.
We cannot slow down to the cruise speed of a Bras in cruise or descent. That means they slow us down aloooooong way out.

We can slow down to a 146 speed and they can, depending on the driver, maintain their speed until 10nm if they wish.
So if the 146 is the slowest in the sequence then it is a minor speed reduction, i.e. 300 to 10,000ft and then the usual 250kts below 10,000.

If we are catching a Bras and the intention is for him to be number 1, then it is a major speed reduction, normally our minimum speed through the descent whilst still catching up at around 1-2 nm / min until below 10,000ft

Going Boeing
4th May 2008, 11:21
The following is from the Perth Airport Master Plan 2004:

North - south runway (03/21)
The existing north - south runway is currently 3,444 metres long and 45 metres wide contained within a 300 metre wide runway strip and is located 1,000 metres west of the control tower. The ultimate length of this runway is planned to be 3,800 metres sometime beyond the 20 year planning period. This length will accommodate future large aircraft (Code F) at maximum take-off weight on direct flights from Perth to London in summer conditions. In a parallel runway configuration, the designation of this runway will be 03L/21R.
The planned 2,700 metre parallel runway (designated 03R/21L), 45 metres wide and contained within a 300 metre wide runway strip is planned at an offset of 1,000 metres east of the control tower. This runway will accommodate all B767 (Code D) take-offs at 90% maximum take-off weight for the ultimate development scenario. For the first stage development of this runway, a length of 2,300 metres is planned. This will accommodate
all B737 (Code C) take-offs. The remaining operations can be handled by the existing runway system.
Current forecasts indicate that the parallel runway system will not be required within the 20 year planning period.

Northeast - southwest runway (06/24)
The existing northeast - southwest runway is 2,163 metres long and 45 metres wide contained within a 300 metre wide runway strip. The ultimate length of this runway is planned to be 3,000 metres sometime beyond the 20 year planning period. With suitable conditions, this runway, which is subject to specific noise abatement procedures, will accommodate all aircraft including Code F. The noise abatement procedures restricting the use of the
06/24 runway over more densely populated suburbs to the southwest of Perth Airport have formed the basis for runway usage since the 1980’s. In 1999, these noise abatement procedures were agreed in principle by the
Perth Airport Municipalities Group and are specified in a formal Deed of Agreement between the City of Bayswater and Westralia Airports Corporation. The Deed reaffirms a commitment that the proposal to extend the 06/24 runway to the north east will include the adoption of
strict and explicit use procedures such that take-offs to, and landings from, the southwest will only occur in emergencies.

High resolution versions of the images and plans for the Perth Airport Master Plan 2004 can be viewed at http://www.perthairport.com/default.aspx?MenuID=42

The parallel runway shows on the ES.2 Ultimate Development but not on the ES.1 2024 Airport Development so I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.