PDA

View Full Version : Type rating recurrent

Speedbird744
1st May 2008, 23:32
I acquired the A320 type rating last year and I need to know when recurrent training is required under FAA regs. This is for employment outside of the usa. What must I do?

spitfire
2nd May 2008, 02:24
How about looking the FARs up online? You should be able to find your answer in there. Just google FAA FAR or Federal Aviation Regulations.

Speedbird744
2nd May 2008, 03:26
Of course, I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't looked in both FARAIM and google. But beside the 90 day PIC requirement 3 takeoffs/landings, I'm asking if the FAA actually have a point at which they require you to do a recurrent training course. The JAA have specific requirements regarding the LPC.

Bus Junkie
2nd May 2008, 05:55
Recurrent: 12 months
PC: 6 months

Rotorhead1026
2nd May 2008, 11:42
A US FAA license has no expiration date per se; recurrent requirements are detailed in the specific operation type you may be involved in, and may vary between companies (PC, PT, LOFT, etc.). A`"proficiency check" every six months would satisfy most operators regarding currency, and I'm certain that the school where you trained could arrange something generic. Basically another type rating ride (without the FAA paperwork) would probably fill the bill. You won't lose the rating if you don't do the PC - you just couldn't tell a prospective employer that you were current.

MarkerInbound
3rd May 2008, 01:13
What are you using it for? Part 125 certificates require the pilots to pass a written or oral test every 12 months. PICs need a PC every 6 months, F/Os just need a compentency check every 12 months. What's the company's insurance require?

Speedbird744
5th May 2008, 21:43
Well I'm not from the USA, but have to get current very quickly in order to be ready on day 1 at the job, therefore will it be legally acceptable for me to undertake a simulator session in the UK that covers the syllabus?

MarkerInbound
6th May 2008, 02:32
Well, took about two minutes to look in the regs -

§ 61.57 Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/e/ecfr/graphics/ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif top (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=40760189a03dfea0b501608f33820a45&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#PartTop)
(a) General experience. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers or of an aircraft certificated for more than one pilot flight crewmember unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and—
(i) The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls; and

Blah Blah Blah

(3) The takeoffs and landings required by paragraph (a)(1) of this section may be accomplished in a flight simulator or flight training device that is—
(i) Approved by the Administrator for landings; and
(ii) Used in accordance with an approved course conducted by a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.

I won't bore you with Part 61.58, the instrument PC requirements except to say that it must be conducted by a person authorized by the Administrator and if a sim is used, it has to part of a Part 142 program.

So, if you do your sim time at a FAA approved sim under a FAA approved program, you're good to go.

Rotorhead1026
6th May 2008, 04:37
Well I'm not from the USA, but have to get current very quickly in order to be ready on day 1 at the job, therefore will it be legally acceptable for me to undertake a simulator session in the UK that covers the syllabus?

Well, I'm sure this problem has come up before. You need to find out what exactly your new employer considers as "current", then get your UK provider to give some sim sessions to train and check to whatever standard your employer wants. It's not so much what the FAR's say as much as what your employer / foreign government wants. It would seem that "legal" is what they say is legal. If it's an FAA certified program in an FAA certified sim., then I'd guess you'd have gone a long way toward meeting anybody's requirement - but I can't say for sure.

I'm working in India, and a some sims in the US have programs that are tailored to DGCA requirements for a FATA - pass the program with the requisite prior experience and you're considered current by the DGCA (usually :)). Possibly there's something like this for your situation. In any case good luck!

DOWHATS
14th May 2008, 00:57
FAR 61.58

Hope it helps.

Check 6
14th May 2008, 13:42
To maintain currency for your type rating only a 12 month check is required. If you have multiple type ratings in aircraft requiring more than one pilot, you are only required to complete a 12 month check in one of the aircraft, not all, but you must complete a check each 48 months.

Clear as mud? See 61.58. (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?sid=546fa25e1c1f8de62a1bdacb55027463&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfrv2_02.tpl)